Notices

Hello everyone. I am new here.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi anovapartofme

Welcome to SR.

I'm another one who used booze 'to sleep'....I sleep far better now than I ever used to when drinking

Please do see your doctor - I was terrified too but it's the responsible thing to do - it's a good first step - and try not to worry - our bodies are resilient and they renew in many ways - I'd drunk hard for 20 years and I was surprised to get the all clear from my GP a few months after I stopped.

D
Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too Arena
Congratulations on your sober time

D
Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
Well done for joining the forum...thats a great first step.
I too drank wine every night 1 - 1.5 litres.
I'm just on day 6 sober too.
You CAN do it x
Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, 4th time back over the years, but I'm good now!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your replies.
Tonight is now 48hrs after not having had any alcohol at all.
I'm so edgy fidgety, and restless. :-(
I phoned my local AA number this morning, and was given the details of meetings in my area.
I was thinking of going along tonight but by 6pm after eating found myself feeling so sleepy. I have a cold at the moment too, and just couldnt face going out ( minus degrees here!). So I will go to a morning meeting as I just wasnt up to it tonight.
Although I'm tired my mind wont switch off at the moment, so despite feeling so tired earlier this evening I am finding it hard to settle at the mo.
It feels like such a battle of the mind.
Thanks again for your replies.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was very, very restless too when I was detoxing and found it hard to relax.

I hope you feel better tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna.
I hope so too. I've noticed something today, thats new to me, since being 'drink' free these past 2 days, and that is that I wanted to eat sweet foods ( funnily enough I'm not a person who normally likes to eat sweet things, and dont share the general enthusiasm for cakes or chocolate even!! )............but today I thoroughly enjoyed 2 little shortcake type things, and 3 cookie biscuits!! My sons eyes almost popped out of his head as I ate them as I dont normally!!
Now that makes sense to me, the woman at AA said that alcohol contains alot of sugar, so maybe replace the sugar you are not now having with sweets etc!
Makes sense now. My body is obviously craving that sugar it hasnt been getting from the drink! Interesting!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You can do this!! Life is better on the sober side

Huggs
Old 01-26-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks but please does it get easier? This is so hard.
I have so much respect for people who have done this, stayed sober and drink free.
I am going to read some of the old timers threads to encourage me.
I feel like I am just on the beginning of a long long tiring and rocky road. :-(
Old 01-26-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Let me say this, I have respect for you and anyone who acknowledges the problem, wants to stop and seeks help and support. 2 days sober is an accomplishment but like all of us we can't always look at the big picture but we must look at each day at time. I am on day 8 now SOBER. Holy crappers I said that. It is almost like my own personal challenge. Me vs. alcohol? I feel like singing because I made the choice to quit and live a better life for me and those around around me who care and support me.

The road my friend is long....at times rocky, bumpy and yes tiring and it may seem easy to just slip into our old habits. I remember waking up exhausted, tired, trying to remember what I did or said or the heck I got to bed the night before. Hoping people would talk to me the next day to ensure I didn't say something in my drunken state.

Hang in their and while every day isn't always easy it so much more relaxing, stressfree and better then any alcoholic binge day I ever had.

God Bless
Old 01-26-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by anovapartofme View Post
Thanks but please does it get easier? This is so hard.
I have so much respect for people who have done this, stayed sober and drink free.
I am going to read some of the old timers threads to encourage me.
I feel like I am just on the beginning of a long long tiring and rocky road. :-(
Just remember you're an "old timer" too, you didn't pop out of the womb with a bottle in your hand ...

Old timers can stumble too, which is why I understand the HP idea more and more. Put your faith in a human and you may get let down, put your faith in something superhuman and you probably won't.

My $0.02 - All the best!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Regarding your question of "Does it get easier"? I am only on day 12, but little by little it is getting easier. But, there are always going to be good days, and bad days. Heck, for me sometimes it has been that I had good hours and bad hours within a day. What has helped me the most was reading the information regarding PAWS.

I found it hard on Sunday when I was watching TV and saw someone pouring a glass of hard liquor. I actually felt the craving, but luckily I got rid of all the alcohol in my house, so it was impossible for me to partake. I managed to talk myself down, and focus on something else instead of the cravings.

You should pat yourself on the back for staying sober the past two days - congratulations! Stay strong, and check in often!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
Regarding your question of "Does it get easier"? I am only on day 12, but little by little it is getting easier. But, there are always going to be good days, and bad days. Heck, for me sometimes it has been that I had good hours and bad hours within a day. What has helped me the most was reading the information regarding PAWS.

I found it hard on Sunday when I was watching TV and saw someone pouring a glass of hard liquor. I actually felt the craving, but luckily I got rid of all the alcohol in my house, so it was impossible for me to partake. I managed to talk myself down, and focus on something else instead of the cravings.

You should pat yourself on the back for staying sober the past two days - congratulations! Stay strong, and check in often!
Oh yes I absolutely ID with the tv showing people ''enjoying'' alcohol. It seems to be the acceptable thing to do!?? :wtf2

The main soap operas here in the UK are based around a pub!!
Showing images of folks laughing and having fun whilst pouring poison into a glass..............I also feel resentful of this...........
But I am learning to watch and say to myself I am taking responsibilty for my own health here........one day at a time..............no fanfare or trumpets..just a healthier me................I hope...in time........
Old 01-26-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ya know, I think for me, it was the fear of the recovery journey, that kept me relapsing and not getting it. And, the recovery journey can be rocky, and it can be tiring at times, but it is so fulfilling. It's the best gift you can give yourself.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Ya know, I think for me, it was the fear of the recovery journey, that kept me relapsing and not getting it. And, the recovery journey can be rocky, and it can be tiring at times, but it is so fulfilling. It's the best gift you can give yourself.
You know Anna, I could listen to you, Tazman, and keithj go on for hours and learn so much.

3 separate paths, one without AA, one with AA but obviously tolerant of other methods, and one with AA but not obviously tolerant of other methods.

I'd love to pick your brains sometime...not just on recovery either, just life in general. People are fascinating...it's a good thing I don't smoke pot!
Old 01-27-2010, 01:37 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi, just wanted to say good luck at the GP today.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:19 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hope your doctors appointment went well, and that you made it another day!

With respect to your comment about the UK soaps, I'm a fan of Coronation Street - although in Canada we are about 9-10 months behind in episodes.