Notices

sugestions?

Old 01-24-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sugestions?

hi guys n girls, iv joined this group because deep down inside i really want to give up the drinking or at least cut down heavily, but thing is im realy scared to admit that i need to cut down or quit, iv always relied on alcohol and there is no way taht i could go out n not have a drink in hand its just too scary, id realy like to here some of all your suggestions as to how u got through the very early stages
Old 01-24-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Find a local AA meeting and go to it. Its ok if you are still drinking, the only requirement for AA is a desire to stop drinking. You'll find lots of good support there. Then just set a date and just stop.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks, i havnt had a really good look around my area for any AA meetings but i am going to do it very soon, i have the desire and commitment to do it, and i know it wont be an overnight thing but i dont want to be in denial anymore,
Old 01-24-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Coming here and asking for help is indeed a HUGE step in the right direction. Just remember that you don't have to go through this alone. We do recover.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

In my opinion, it's going to be damn near impossible for you to go out and not drink, early in your Recovery. I hate to be the one to tell you that, but I don't know of anyone who, early in Recovery, could go out to a Club and drink just juice or soda. There are many alcoholics who can't do this even after a few years in Recovery. I used to love to go out drinking. I have 4.5 years in Recovery and have yet to set foot in a bar or club. I have no desire to because the only reason I used to go is to get drunk.

I'd suggest going to some AA Meetings. You can make some new, heatlhy friends there. Trust me, AA is not some boring old group of people who sit around and talk about sad stories of drinking. I've made some of my closest friends at AA.

Just take this One Day at A Time.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 01-24-2010, 09:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Duchess,

Welcome to SR. You can get a copy of the Big Book from the library. It might be a good idea to check it out.

It took me a long time to finally decide I didn't want to drink any more. I tried all kinds of different methods to cut down and just never could. I had to quit altogether.

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-24-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wow thankyou all so much so far for ur strong words n advice. its a huge helping knowing that you are not all jusst saying it will be ok u will be fine, you and i all know how hards its gona be, it is true tho, there is no possible way that i could not pick up a drink or two so early in recovery but yea definitly just joining here first is a very big step for me. iv ruined so many nights, so many get togethers, so many freindship coz of my drinking and my lies and substance abuse. i know i have to at one point get my act together, i cannot continue the way that i am. i cannot contiune to risk my life and tha life of others with my drink driving, thats tha one main thing that realy kills me is tha drink driving
Old 01-24-2010, 09:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

oh woops n thanks for tha warm welcome Lenina
Old 01-24-2010, 10:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

I agree with Lenina ... start with some reading of the Big Book and reading posts on SR.

The only person who can tell you that you are an alcoholic is yourself. You can't stop drinking for someone else, you can only do it for yourself.

Maybe you are ready, maybe you are not. But the knowledge that you can gain from SR and the Big Book will plant the seeds for you to make this decision.

Keep reading and posting!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for joining us ...many of us are winning over addictions.

Here is a link with excerpts from the book that
convinced me to finally quit drinking.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I did have to make drastic changes in my lifestyle and social circle
to protect my early sobriety. All my friends were drinkers too.

I found an AA meeting full of other singles We did all sorts of
things outside of meetings We had a blast and stayed sober together.

Please do keep posting...we understand and we care
Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome, Duchess.

I hope you do get to a meeting. Making the decision to quit is a difficult one. All of us try to do everything but quit because the thought of going without alcohol is intolerable when we are so addicted.

If you are regularly drink driving knowing the risks to your life and other innocent bystanders, then you do have a problem. You are not going to be able to just cut down. If you could, you would have done that by now. If you were someone who could control your drinking you would be walking or getting a cab home or staying off the booze to drive home.

The first step to quitting is being honest with yourself. I hope you are able to do that before you kill someone and then have to endure the consequences of that for the rest of your life.

AA is a good place to start. There will be plenty of people who understand what you are going through.

Keep in touch.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yep i know, i have only made the decision for myself but im also gona do it coz it affected work and those around me. my health is detieriorating from it too. i hope that i can find an AA group around my area
Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Duchess,

It looks like there are plenty here...if that is near you.
Alcoholics Anonymous - AATimes Meetings
Old 01-25-2010, 12:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Duchess

Welcome to SR
Good to have another Aussie here.

You've got some good advice here - I think finding a support group, whether it's AA or not, is pretty important.

I also think it's important to remind yourself that the way we tackle this is one day at a time.

Don't overwhelm yourself with thoughts of next week or next month. Just focus on today, because today is the only day we can do anything about.

The last thing is the hardest one I think.

If you want to change your life, you have to change your life.

I don't know anyone, personally, who's gone to the trouble of signing up here who finds they can drink 'like a gentlemen/lady' again...these people may exist but I've not met one in nearly three years at this site.

I also don't think I've ever heard of anyone who can try and live the same party hard lifestyle sober, and not get sucked back into it.

That's why recovery is hard...most of us can stop drinking...it's the staying stopped that hurts. It requires a lot of change.

And thats why support is so important
You don't have to do this alone - keep posting and keep us updated

D
Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hi dee yes it is nice to meet a fellow aussie in here too =)
im not in a very good place right now i will be back later tonite or probly tomorw, coz right now i got some things that are doing my head in..thank you everyone whos welcomed me so warmly here today i will talk to y'all agen soon..much love xox
Old 01-25-2010, 04:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I hope you can find the support you need to stop drinking. And I hope you stop driving when you've been drinking. That could end up in tragedy.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Resident

What I did when I decided to quit was make a list of the good things about not drinking and the bad things about not drinking and as long as the meter points to not drinking I will not drink.
I utilize and am thankful for SR as my support system.
Good luck in your quest.