SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/192942-hi.html)

Havoc 01-21-2010 05:34 PM

Hi

Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been trying to get and stay sober for the past ten years. Have tried pretty much every way to get sober but I guess it just wasn't my time. Today was different, instead of grabbing for that first drink I took out the vodka and whiskey bottles and poured them down the drain. I am no longer going to let this beat me.

I have been browsing this forum for some time and seems to have some very supportive people here. So I thought I would give a shot.

Havoc.

Klynn33 01-21-2010 05:42 PM

Welcome Havoc!! and way to go - for pouring them down the drain. that's a HUGE step.
This is certainly not my first run at this either - but this site helped me before, and now I'm back for another round.

you'll find lots of support and amazing people here to chat with, vent to, get advice from and share stories. (of failure AND success!!)

hope the rest of your night goes well - you're on the right track!

Anna 01-21-2010 05:50 PM

Welcome Havoc!

You've made a good decision to live a sober life.

GeeQ 01-21-2010 06:42 PM

Hey there Havoc. Congrats on starting your sober life. There are good people here with plenty great suggestions to help you through. I wish you the best!~GeeQ

ANGELINA243 01-21-2010 06:50 PM

Welcome! Glad you are here. That was a huge step in the right direction. You will find much support here. We do recover. :)

coffeenut 01-21-2010 07:28 PM

Welcome!

Klynn33 01-21-2010 08:12 PM

Havoc.

I love this name :)

intention 01-22-2010 03:18 AM

Hi and welcome to SR.

Well done on throwing the booze away and making the decision to quit.

As you have been trying to quit for 10 years (very common for us alcoholics) you must do something different this time, if you are going to be successful. Because if nothing changes, nothing changes.

Many of us find that we cannot do this alone and we go to AA for face to face support and for the solution it offers to getting sober.

Whatever path you choose for recovery I hope you take some action today to make it happen.
Keep in touch.

HumbleBee 01-22-2010 03:30 AM

Welcome to SR, Havoc (love the name too)...!

There really is sooo much strength in surrendering. Way to go on making booze circle the drain - that's an awesome step in acknowledging how you feel.

That, and joining SR where you'll find incredible shared experiences and support.

Nobody ever said it was going to be easy, but it is definitely worth it!

Look forward to hearing from you ~
Hb

Dee74 01-22-2010 03:59 AM

Welcome to SR Havoc :)

D

least 01-22-2010 04:20 AM

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. Good first step in pouring out the alcohol. One day at a time, you don't have to drink anymore.

Fubarcdn 01-22-2010 04:56 AM

Welcome to SR Havoc

Always remember the freedom you felt while pouring that stuff down the drain.
Was it like a big laod off of your shoulders???
When the urge to drink hits you, which it likely will, just try to remember that sense of freedom and the urge will go away.
Good luck in your quest.

Saphie 01-22-2010 05:42 AM

Hi and welcome.
Wow you just brought back some bad memories. Nah don't worry we need them occasionally :) .
How often did I pour bottles down the drain, only to regret it a few hours later and buy more and waste all that money. I'm so relieved I don't have to do that anymore.
You have made the right choice. Well done!

keithj 01-22-2010 06:23 AM

Good for you, Havoc. That's a great first step. You may already taken your last drink.

Wow. You may have already taken your last drink ever. Scary, but very exciting.

Originally Posted by Havoc (Post 2493698)
Have tried pretty much every way to get sober but I guess it just wasn't my time.

I hear this a lot, and think there is a small amount of truth in it. I had to really want to quit, and your dumping the bottles indicates you really want to quit. However, I don't believe it's just a matter of being ready, or it being your time, or whatever. I kept drinking for a few years after I was good and ready to quit, after it was my time, after I really wanted to stop.

Although stopping was uncomfortable, stopping was the easy part for me. There are lots of ways to stop, including getting medical support all the way up to residential treatment.

Staying stopped, and enjoying life, was the hard part for me. After a time, life just seemd flat and dull and no spark, and I always found some curiously trivial and insane reason for drinking again.

What I found by taking AA's 12 Steps was a revolutionary change in my perception of life and my place in the world. Life became manageable and fulfilled. As a side benefit, the drink problem was removed.

Havoc 01-22-2010 02:41 PM

Thanks everyone. Last night was a pain for me. Regret a few hours after I posted and thought wow I can handle this (how many times have I thought that before). However unlike before and just like yesterday morning something is different. Rather than going to buy more alcohol like I usually would, I told myself, actually screamed at myself “NO”.

Then the insomnia which was the worst part of last night. Started making excuses “a couple drinks and I could get to bed” and a couple drinks would turn into a liter of vodka or whiskey. That is BS and nothing more than excuse, so I came on to SR and read for what seemed to be an eternity.

Today is a new day and things are changing. One day at a time and doing things I thought I would never do. Such as reaching out to an online community.

I don't want to drink anymore but want to have a drink. This really sucks.:headbange

Hevyn 01-22-2010 03:21 PM

We completely understand where you are right now, Havoc. So easy to fall back into the old ways. The temptation part of it does ease up after awhile - promise. Each time you make it over a hurdle you'll be stronger. Keep talking to us.

MeAndOnlyMe 01-22-2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Havoc (Post 2494571)
I don't want to drink anymore but want to have a drink. This really sucks.:headbange

Yes, yes it does. And it's also one of the reasons I keep coming back to SR and remain in awe of the people here who are steadfast and remain committed to sobriety. Find whatever inspiration and reason you need, latch on and never let go.

djpb 01-22-2010 04:57 PM

Welcome!!

:c011:

CarolD 01-22-2010 05:40 PM

Welcome....:wave:

Glad you are chooseing a better healthy future.
:yup:
It's the first drink you need to avoid.

intention 01-23-2010 02:03 AM

Hi Havoc,

In time your sleeping will get better. In the meantime what a better way to spend those small hours than here on SR.

We all know that feeling of not wanting to drink but wanting to drink. This is an incredibly powerful addiction.

Keep in touch.