SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Curious about drug tests (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/192877-curious-about-drug-tests.html)

ChangeGonnaCome 01-20-2010 11:00 PM

Curious about drug tests

I'm wondering when I'd be able to successfully pass a drug test. Been herb free for 25 days, but smoked if for at least that many years. From what I understand the THC remains in the fat cells for quite a while. I'm not required to take one for work, but am just wondering how long it stays, if different tests pick up something longer than the others, etc. Someone told me they thought a hair test can reveal every drug you've ever taken. Whoa! That would be quite a resume of bad choices in my case. I remember having to take a urine test about 18 yrs. ago and passed it by drinking a whole lotta water for a few days prior. They took the sample and dipped litmus paper in it. I would greatly appreciate folks sharing their knowledge with me. Thanks for your time!

FRESHCLAY 01-21-2010 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by ChangeGonnaCome (Post 2492875)
I'm wondering when I'd be able to successfully pass a drug test...I remember having to take a urine test about 18 yrs. ago and passed it by drinking a whole lotta water for a few days prior.

Congratulations on your 25 days! I pray that you can be free from the chains of marijuana addiction forever. I have struggled with pot myself for the last ten years that I have been in and out of the program. It is the one drug that always insidiously creeps back into my life and wreaks havoc! I only have 6 days clean with pot and also worry about winning the drug test lottery at work! I still can't believe that I was willing to jeopardize "EVERYTHING" over that frickin herb! Anyway I digress...here is an excellent website providing information about pretty much anything that has to do with psychoactive chemicals. Although the website is in my opinion pro-use, what better source to dip into for both scientific and anecdotal reports from people who are actively using. Erowid Drug Testing Vaults : FAQ
Please feel free to write me about your pot use as I would also appreciate support from a fellow former pothead who is trying to live bud-free one day at a time.
Selah!

Gypsy Feet 01-21-2010 06:11 AM

I quit pot for a job that drug tested. After 30 days I bought an over the counter drug test, and it showed clear so I went in and did the real deal for work. Good luck.

tyler 01-21-2010 07:16 AM

I smoked heavily for over 20 years. Here's a few things I have learned about how it stays in your system.

It depends more on how much you smoked than how long you smoked it. There is very little you can do to speed the process, though many myths abound about how you can. Drinking extra water is about the best thing you can do, and the effect of that is even a bit dubious.

The various "cleansing" products you see advertised everywhere do not work. While they will may mask the THC in your urine, most labs also test for the blocking chemicals. If they find those in your system you'll have some explaining to do, and will probably have to retest on short if not no notice. My ex-wife works for a substance abuse faciality, and is VERY familiar with all aspects of drug testing.

Hair testing can, in theory, go back a long way in your "drug history". However they only test a small amount of hair. Don't consider shaving your head, unless you really dig the look, unless you are prepared to wax your entire body. They will find a hair on you somewhere to use. I'm not exactly sure how far back the tested sample will show drug use, but I'm sure you can find that online. Hair testing is rarely used due to the expense and the fact that the results have been found to be inaccurate on occassion, thereby chalengeable in court.

Here's the rub on plain old urine screens. There are two types. The regular one, which has a positive threshold of 50 nanograms, and what is commonly refered to as a DOT screen that has a threshold of 15 nanograms. The first one's are the ones you buy commonly off the shelf, and that most testing labs use. Usually 30 to 45 days clean will do the trick on those. The DOT ones are used by the Dept of Transportation for truck drivers, medical facialities, and other more "high risk" professions. For those it can take between 2 and 4 months to test clean.

I once applied for a grounds keeping job at a hospital. I had been clean for about 6 weeks and took an over the counter test that I passed. When I went in for my pre-employment screen, it came back positive. They used the same tests for the ground crew as they did for the doctors.

All and all the best thing to do is to just stay off the weed. It held me back for many years career wise, as I could only apply for jobs that didn't test. Stopping smoking simply was not an option!! What a waste of opportunity. I can't tell you how cool it felt to walk into the testing faciality, give them my sample and walk out with complete confidence that it was clean. I'm probably the only person who gave them a cup of pee with a big smile on my face!!!

Weed is quite incedious in how it can get it's hooks into you. So many people write it off as "harmless", and I suppose for some it is. But I usually compare it to alcohol. If I could just smoke a joint on occassion with friends, I wouldn't have a problem. But, for me, once I take that first hit, my thoughts are completely on where can I get some more. Can I grab a little out of the bag, buy a dime, get hooked up with a source, even hold onto the roach. That's alcoholic thinking, or in my case potoholic thinking. Best of luck to all you guys getting and staying clean, it really is worth it in the long run. Take care.

tyler 01-21-2010 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by FRESHCLAY (Post 2492985)
I still can't believe that I was willing to jeopardize "EVERYTHING" over that frickin herb!

AMEN to that!!! I still ponder that question as I sit here with a pile of debt, living with my parents at age 41, divorced from the woman I love with all my heart, seperated from my kid.... :headbange I didn't just jeopardize it, I gave it all away, and still didn't learn. I just don't get it. Clean now though, and not going back down that road again!!! Take care.

ChangeGonnaCome 01-21-2010 07:46 AM

Wow, thanks for the info Tyler! I was thinking last what a great feeling it would be to be able to apply for jobs in the future at other facilities that I've had to pass by in the past due to knowing there was no freakin' way I'd pass the drug test required. I'm going to wait until I get a little further into my studies and up my credentials before I do that though. I have to make myself look better on paper before I'll be accepted in for an interview. Although there were a couple places that requested a urine sample before they'd accept the application. Luckily, my present job doesn't require testing at all, so I've been able to maintain it, but I'm hoping to eventually advance in the field. At this point and time, I'm just thankful to be employed.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and for your support. Hope you have a great day!