Blogs


Notices

need help with addiction

Old 01-20-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
a fallen man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bowling Green KY
Posts: 275
need help with addiction

i need help with an addiction......to coffee....lol.

yesterday was day 134 without alcohol. things are really really good. my body feels great even though i've probably put on 15 pounds....they were needed.....i was rockin' that vodka only skinny chic.

things are going so well when i hit 4 months on january 8th i didn't even think about it being my anniversary.

when i was drinking vodka i never drank coffee....the stomach was just in too bad of shape to put anything that acidic (other than vodka) on it.

but i have got to the point that the esposa and i fix a pot every afternoon when i get home from work. we use a 1/2 decaf mix so i'm not up all night. but just like i used to dream of that first pull of the vodka when i got off work i start thinking about that coffee around 2:00. i get off at 3:30.

is this just another manifestation of my addictive personality? another sliver of oral fixation?

trust me....i'll take the coffee addiction over the vodka one any day of the week.

i really just wanted to check in and say all is well. to the newcomers that have started this week....i quit on september 8th because i was coming off of a 3 day weekend. i loved/hated 3 day weekends when drinking because i could stay ripped for 3 1/2 straight days without worrying about work but i was always so toxic on tuesday.

since quitting i've been through 3 of these holiday weekends and a 4 dayer in thanksgiving. it feels so great to feel great physically and mentally.

you can do it....i'm honestly nothing special even if at 50 my mom still says so....lol. you can quit just like i did. i did it with the help of these wonderful people on this forum and will forever be indebted to them.

thank you s.r.
a fallen man is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to a fallen man For This Useful Post:
dasha (01-21-2010), Horselover (01-21-2010), jch116 (01-22-2010), least (01-20-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Anna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Dancing in the Light
Posts: 58,279
I'm glad you're doing well!
Anna is online now  
Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader
 
Astro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Posts: 21,007
Congratulations on making it through the trifecta of holidays!

As for that coffee thing.....recent research indicates that 3-5 cups per day really isn't all that bad after all, in fact it's an excellent stimulant for the heart. But then again, there's research to support as well as contradict just about everything

I've become a "fresh-ground" junkie lately, my wife gifted me with 5 bags of various coffee beans for Christmas, I thumb my nose at those cans of ground stuff
Astro is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
Horselover (01-21-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Dee74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 204,041
Blog Entries: 1
Congrats on your sober time AFM
I wouldn't worry unduly about your daily coffee

D
Dee74 is offline  
Old 01-20-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover
 
least's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SF Bay area, CA
Posts: 96,428
Blog Entries: 32
I too find a lot of support here. Thank you for sharing. That gives me energy and drive to stay sober.
least is online now  
Old 01-21-2010, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow
 
intention's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South East of England
Posts: 1,521
Congratulations on being sober.

Do you feel you can control your coffee intake - keep it at a sensible maximum for the day?
intention is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 126
4 MONTHS wow thats something ive only dreamed about in 10yrs,ive replied a few posts
on here,today is the start for me! seriously downed 3 litres cheap crap gutrot cider last
night, somethin which i never drink, as was more into the fine red wines, mixed with beer,
i could write the good wine guide!! but thats another story, yes i needed a sickener to
mentally and physically put me in the frame for the battle ahead, i mean buisness this
time, the longest ive done is a fifteen dayer, coffee helps me also into the real beans
espresso dark roast! a fact ive only just become aware of is the cheaper robusta beans
have twice as much caffeine in them as the higher altitude Arabica beans..
anyway a lot of good role models here to check in on, will post on progress,
good day to all.
dasha is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Member
 
Horselover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 6,608
Blog Entries: 3
Thanks for this post Fallen Man.

I am going to blow Astro's mind. I found an "instant" coffee I like and I have it every afternoon. Ewe! Its pretty good!!
Horselover is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Horselover For This Useful Post:
Astro (01-21-2010)
Old 01-21-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member
 
joedris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 818
Coffee is certainly a lot better than vodka any day, but be careful on your intake. Coffee, believe it or not, can be addictive. I know a woman who tried to stop drinking it and went into withdrawal. She drinks a full pot before she goes to bed at night, and we're not talking decaf here. So if you like it as much as you say, I'd suggest you switch to decaf as that's pretty harmless stuff comparatively speaking. And I'm like the other purists around here - whole bean is the only way to go.
joedris is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to joedris For This Useful Post:
Astro (01-21-2010)
Old 01-21-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader
 
Astro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Posts: 21,007
Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
I am going to blow Astro's mind. I found an "instant" coffee I like and I have it every afternoon. Ewe! Its pretty good!!
Actually I make frappes with Nescafe, a recipe I picked up in Greece last year. And let me tell you finding a cup of good coffee in Greece is dang near impossible!
Astro is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
On my path.
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Home
Posts: 330
Hey Fallen,

Sipping my freshly ground iced coffee while reading your post.

I definately relate to the addictive ritual present in grinding the coffee, smelling the coffee and that first pull in the morning - ah - nothing better. Oh oh get myself to CA (coffee anon.). wink

55438
55438 is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR
 
ElegantlyWasted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,529
Blog Entries: 10
Don't worry about it enjoy. Like any pleasureable habit, you
barin is programmer to like forward to it. If you are feeling a little stressed out in general cut back. I'm just about on month six and still caffinate and smoke. The big
one is the booz. Like the blend you're using. I've noticed that when I accidently drink decaf, I can't tell the difference. Placebo effect in full force.
ElegantlyWasted is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
a fallen man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bowling Green KY
Posts: 275
thanks for all the replies.....i don't actually start jonesing for it. but i do even enjoy the ritual of making it.

i like having it next to me. i'm not drinking gallons of it and the wife and i use a 50/50 mix of decaf and regular. i used to drink gourmet coffees years ago before i started slamming alcohol.

but with a vodka stomach i stopped. another great benefit from alcohol being gone is food seems to taste so much better. plus i can eat ice cream now. i used to love stopping in at baskin robbins and getting a cup.

but when i was drinking heavily i couldn't stand to try any dairy products. so many befefits of the sober life.
a fallen man is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 02:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 126
Hi Guys, hope you dont mind me keepin the coffee theme runnin, as its my
second night booze,free an im bored s#####ss, that how ye spell senseless!
yes into buyin an sellin abit on ebay... just orded 30k columbian peaberry
green coffee bean from the states, for roastin an sellin on to a few buddys
cant easily get the green bean here! the guys gonna ship usps hope its good
gear as it cost us a good few dollars an shippin uk an all that! cost me that
much, cant afford booze anyhow< not a bad thing> will update on the goods
once received... If i dont get em seized at customs for traces of illegal
powder or anythn like that!! knowin my luck!
its a whole new ball game gettin back into the swing of normality must say
this has to done no messin this time! need to face reality bigtime....
BEST OF LOOK, GOOD FORTUNE TO ALL,
dasha is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Coast Oregon
Posts: 2
My first day here today and you were my first story I read!!!! Your awesome!!!!

Hi I am new so will keep it short, this site is very amazing I am excited to start it and not just sit around on my time off and watch mindless hours of tv. You inspire me man!!!! I have been there and those three day binges are the worst, you look foward to them all week and can barely recover let alone remember what the he#$ you did! I am glad to hear that you are doing well alcohol is sooooooooo hard to quit, the worst part is that you don't stop craving the crap for a very long time!!! Good job and keep going!!!! There is gold at the end of the rainbow!!!!! H

Originally Posted by a fallen man View Post
i need help with an addiction......to coffee....lol.

yesterday was day 134 without alcohol. things are really really good. my body feels great even though i've probably put on 15 pounds....they were needed.....i was rockin' that vodka only skinny chic.

things are going so well when i hit 4 months on january 8th i didn't even think about it being my anniversary.

when i was drinking vodka i never drank coffee....the stomach was just in too bad of shape to put anything that acidic (other than vodka) on it.

but i have got to the point that the esposa and i fix a pot every afternoon when i get home from work. we use a 1/2 decaf mix so i'm not up all night. but just like i used to dream of that first pull of the vodka when i got off work i start thinking about that coffee around 2:00. i get off at 3:30.

is this just another manifestation of my addictive personality? another sliver of oral fixation?

trust me....i'll take the coffee addiction over the vodka one any day of the week.

i really just wanted to check in and say all is well. to the newcomers that have started this week....i quit on september 8th because i was coming off of a 3 day weekend. i loved/hated 3 day weekends when drinking because i could stay ripped for 3 1/2 straight days without worrying about work but i was always so toxic on tuesday.

since quitting i've been through 3 of these holiday weekends and a 4 dayer in thanksgiving. it feels so great to feel great physically and mentally.

you can do it....i'm honestly nothing special even if at 50 my mom still says so....lol. you can quit just like i did. i did it with the help of these wonderful people on this forum and will forever be indebted to them.

thank you s.r.
taylor777 is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader
 
Astro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Posts: 21,007
Taylor777, welcome to SR! If you'd like, please start a thread and introduce yourself to the rest of our family in recovery. Glad you're here!
Astro is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Coast Oregon
Posts: 2
DONT ever give up! You R important

I failed at over and over again until I wanted to literally die!!! Then I got duiis like too many to mention and hurt my family and my job. i prayed alot, the hardest part was the cravings i could not get them to stop....I had to stay clean for almost 12 months to stop driving by the liqour spell check hear! Anyways I would actually salivate at the thought of alcohol....It sucked! I felt so helpless and I did not want people to know how bad it was....
I finally was able to quit but I had to want it like nothing I had ever wanted in my life! I did not think that a human was that strong, but we are!!!! And we have all been there, get a few days and you feel great, go back to the drink and you beat your self up for days all over again.....not a fun cycle....Just try to get 16 or 17 days next time, baby steps are better than no steps....That is what I did I tried each time to get farther and farther away from it....You don't plan to drink it just grabs you so out of the blue sometimes.....Try to fight those mind games that tell you its ok, just set little goals and accomplish one thing at a time....
Just remember it is a decision, some are goood, some are great, some are dangerous, and some give us bad hangovers....try to remember the hangover when the strong waive of wanting to drink hits.....I know I am preaching here! Sorry I have so been there X10 woke up not knowing what happened the night before, said things to people on the phone I did not even know
i talked to, and payed alot of money for MY decisions...I hope this helps even 1 person in the world not drink tonite? Please remember you are stronger than the drink, don't let it control you, control it!!!! good luck and I hope to chat again soon.....I know you can do it!!!! please feel free to respond to me anytime struggling or not! I am new and probably really annoying sorry, just excited to be here!!!! H


Originally Posted by dasha View Post
4 MONTHS wow thats something ive only dreamed about in 10yrs,ive replied a few posts
on here,today is the start for me! seriously downed 3 litres cheap crap gutrot cider last
night, somethin which i never drink, as was more into the fine red wines, mixed with beer,
i could write the good wine guide!! but thats another story, yes i needed a sickener to
mentally and physically put me in the frame for the battle ahead, i mean buisness this
time, the longest ive done is a fifteen dayer, coffee helps me also into the real beans
espresso dark roast! a fact ive only just become aware of is the cheaper robusta beans
have twice as much caffeine in them as the higher altitude Arabica beans..
anyway a lot of good role models here to check in on, will post on progress,
good day to all.
taylor777 is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow
 
intention's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South East of England
Posts: 1,521
Hi Taylor and welcome to SR.
intention is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:13 PM.