Notices

Day 4 and hurting

Old 01-18-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 and hurting

Just joined this group in hopes of getting sober once and for all. I took the week-end to detox (not fun) thinking I would be feeling great this morning and go to work with a new attitude. Instead, what I woke up to in the middle of the night was horrific stomach cramps, headache, nausea and anxiety that is overbearing. After overthinking the situation for hours now, I haven't decided if I'm having some serious health issue unrelated to the alcohol withdrawal, or if I've lost my mind. Is this what I can expect and for how long can this last? My unreasonable side says, have a drink and see if the stomach cramps go away and then I'll know it's not something more serious. My common sense tells me that would be foolish. I feel like I'm in a grudge match with myself. Any suggestions to get me through this day without drinking?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't drink! You are 4 days in.

How about making a doctor's appointment?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. Hope you choose to stick around. Warm wishes Ev.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Did you have those symptoms just 4 short days ago? If not it is safe to say the alcohol is the cause. It shouldn't take a drink to help you remember. Everyday sober gets better, and believe me it will be worth it. I would suggest an appointment with your doc just to get checked out and make sure everything is OK.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Going to the doctor is always good if you're worried, Overthinker.
Welcome to SR

D
Old 01-18-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better, and do talk to your dr.

You never have to go through withdrawl again.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community
Hope your feeling better soonest.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all the well wishes. bdiddy5522, no I did not have these pains 4 short days ago.....thanks for opening my eyes. I am feeling a little better tonight and grateful that I am going to wake up sober and say "Day 5". I will consider going to the Doc if the symptoms persist much longer though. My next fear is that I'll get to feeling better and think it's okay to have "just a beer". I'm praying for the strength to overcome that devil as I know how often it's going to creep up. I'm just so glad to have some support here.....I wouldn't have made it through this day without everyone that responded. I guess I'm really not alone!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are better.

Drink a lot of water and Gatorade to flush the toxins
Ctting out or back on caffine is wise too.

Please do hang out with us...many
of us are winning over alcohol.
So can you...
Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just remember how awful it feels right now. I'd bet...something important, it's the booze. Today is day number three for me. I've been hospitalized three times in the last month because of the booze. After spending last Monday-Friday holed up in a cheap hotel room, I somehow was convinced by my family to come home. Friday night was terrible. Cramps. Awful restlessness. Anxiety. Heart about to explode. Shaking a bit (the first time I've actually shaken). I thought I had done some permanent damage to my stomach. I couldn't eat until Sunday night and threw that up shortly after. I made a decision this time to be sober for myself. My family to of course, but this time I feel different about it. I'm actually quite scared. I believe if I go out there again there is a good chance I will not come back. See a doctor anyway, but a couple shots isn't going to help. Trust me. And you've made it to day four. It will only get better from here. I tell myself, this is the last time I can feel this way. I can't do this to my life. Do I want to die swimming in vodka in a sleazy motel room, I ask myself. As soon as I can straighten out one or two things I'm checking into a rehab for as long as they'll keep me (my 4th or 5th). I need to be away for a while. I've said I've had enough before, but I've never really thought about my life and who I have become. An alcoholic. Whenever I try to incorporate alcohol into my life, I lose everything I've gained. Thank god my family has stuck by me through all I've put them through. But anyway, I know how you feel. See a doc if you're really worried but alcohol is poison. It destroys the stomach, messes with your brain chemistry. I felt foggy yesterday. That was a new one too. A hangover and feeling shaky two days later? It scared me. But I'm feeling surprisingly better tonight, especially after reading all the posts here. I've been in the chat room for a year when I should have been reading the forums.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the boards jdaviscpd
Hope to see you round some more

D
Old 01-18-2010, 10:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes i know the feelin rattling like a snake myself! stomach churnin with the aftermath
of a nights drink!! me to lookin to not go back down this road of self abuse, best o luck
to y,all
Old 01-19-2010, 01:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by jdaviscpd View Post
As soon as I can straighten out one or two things I'm checking into a rehab for as long as they'll keep me (my 4th or 5th). I need to be away for a while.

Hi and welcome, good luck with sorting out rehab. It sounds like it will be very beneficial for you.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to Newcomers forum to you too, Dasha

D
Old 01-19-2010, 03:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I am learning about humility. It is very hard for me to come back here and admit the I back here in this situation.

I just wanted to say thank you to Overthinker and jdaviscpd as well as others for sharing. This is a very scary feeling right now. Thank you for letting me know I am not alone. If this doesn't change within the next few hours I myself will be going to an ER or clinic.

I pray you guys stay strong.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just wanted to let you know that i am thinking of you today Overthinker. Your username made me smile!

Warm wishes
Evanna.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

jus let everyone have there say!!! nobody is any more important than anyboby else!!
as neil young said keep on rockin in the free world.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dean62 View Post
If this doesn't change within the next few hours I myself will be going to an ER or clinic.
Dean, whether or not that happens, I know some guys in SLC who are very well connected to AA's spiritual solution. They are the real deal, no BS, and can show you how it's done.

PM me if you want a phone number.