SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/192214-hello.html)

joel 01-11-2010 08:45 PM

Hello

What's up everyone. Well I'm new to sober recovery. I've been sober for 9 days. The last time drinking involved getting in a fight, humiliating myself on the a bar dancefloor, and waking up at 4 in the morning to puke all over myself:wtf2, GOOD TIMES!! It's definitely nice not to wake up with hangovers any more. Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself

Pnewman 01-11-2010 08:53 PM

Welcome joel,

Congrats on 9 days, it is a awesome feeling to wake up refreshed, and rested.
I am on day 6, we can do this. :welcome

serenityqueen 01-11-2010 09:27 PM

Welcome to both of you and Congratulations on your decisons to stop the madness! Yes, it is great to wake up not wondering what you did the night before, not to have the horrible taste in your mouth that you can't get rid of no matter how many times you brush your teeth or how much mouthwash you use. It's great not to be breathing out alcohol fumes for the entire day, isn't it? I've been C & S for nearly 4.5 years and I still shudder when I think about those day afters.

I hope you both will continue to log on here every day, read around the different forums, share as much as you feel comfortable sharing and keep an open mind. Remember that it took us awhile to get where we are when we stop drinking and using, so it's going to take awhile to get back to normal (if there is such a thing! lol)

I hope you'll give AA Meetings a try. For me, I have no doubt that I would not be alive today if I hadn't went to Meetings every day for the first year that I was in Recovery. If you go to one Meeting and don't care for it, give another one a try. I know the first drink of alcohol I took I didn't like, but that didn't stop me from trying other kinds!

Again, Congrats, Welcome & Keep Coming Back!
Judy

InsideOut 01-11-2010 09:31 PM

Hey Joel, Welcome to SR.....congrats on day 9......I am day 11 so feeling some of the new feelings myself and really digging it!! SR has been a very big help for me!!

Hope to see ya around!!!! :welcome

Dee74 01-11-2010 09:33 PM

Welcome to SR Joel - congrats on day 9 :D

D

Horselover 01-11-2010 10:18 PM

Welcome to SR Joel! There are so MANY good things about living sober. No hangovers, as you said, being able to remember things, not getting in fights, enjoying the company of others and not arguing with them over things you don't even remember the next day, and regaining some confidence you may have lost years ago. There's more then that, but I'm so very tired and I am headed to bed. Oh yeah! Sleeping and feeling like you actually got some rest. :)

ANGELINA243 01-11-2010 11:02 PM

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. Congrats on 9 days! :)

CarolD 01-11-2010 11:46 PM

Welcome to both of our new SR members...

Joel....:wavey:

Pnewman...:wavey:

Glad you are here with us
Please keep in focus and keep posting.
:yup:

thirtybubba 01-12-2010 12:16 AM

Welcome, Joel, :wavey: and congrats on the 9 days.

Take care,
TB

HumbleBee 01-12-2010 03:41 AM

Welcome to SR Joel and Pnewman ~

The 4am pukes...wow...there's a memory that still encourages me to stay sober today. I think the only thing worse than that was gagging when brushing my teeth after the hurling...

Glad you reached out here. You'll find lots in common with many of us who've been there.

Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking. It is worth it.

Continue to read/post on the forums. Awesome people here.

Take care,
HumbleBee

intention 01-12-2010 04:41 AM

Hi Joel and welcome. Congratulations on waking with no more hangovers. It is a great feeling.

:c029:

Fubarcdn 01-12-2010 05:03 AM

Wekcome to SR Joel.
Congratulations on your nine day since the first few weeks are the hardest in my opinion.
If you get the urge to drink try to remember that last fateful night that got you here.
Good luck.

Gypsy Feet 01-12-2010 06:00 AM

Welcome, and thanks for the reminder!

endzoner 01-12-2010 06:07 AM

Welcome to the SR family Joel and congrats on your days sober .. its a fantastic journey . and with each new day , new beginnings wil be discovered . Were glad your here ! :c011:

lostmyway 01-12-2010 06:29 AM

Hello, Joel...I would like to offer you a warm welcome. I'm new to recovery as well and am on day 16. There is no turning back now. We can do this. Well, it sounds like you have a good sense of humor and a positive attitude about getting sober. If you don't mind my asking, do you have a plan in place on how you will remain sober?

keithj 01-12-2010 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by AA Big Book, 1st Ed.
Why does he behave like this? If hundreds of experiences have shown him that one drink means another debacle with all its attendant suffering and humiliation, why is it he takes that one drink? Why can't he stay on the water wagon? What has become of the common sense and will power that he still sometimes displays with respect to other matters?

I had to take a real hard look at why I kept drinking. I knew that I had this reaction whenever I was drinking (OK, most of the time; every once in a while I just passed out without a lot of fanfare). So why would I keep drinking? Sounds like pure insanity. Didn't I know better? Wasn't I smarter than that?

Taking that hard look got me opened up to the idea of mental obsession. My intelligence, common sense, and willpower were non-existent when it came to booze. Something else was going on that I lacked the power to control.