Notices

Fluffy slippers and puppies

Old 01-09-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Lightbulb Fluffy slippers and puppies

I've been doing a lot of reflection of an experience I had yesterday. I shared this in the alcoholism forum that I went to my first AA meeting yesterday. I was nervous, frightened and reluctant to go but I forced myself through the door only to find that the first face I saw was my old sponsor from when I was first in 12 Step recovery.

He had had a huge impact on me getting recovery the first time. He took me through the steps and the Big Book and he told me bluntly what was what. I haven't seen him for at least 8 years, so to see him there when I am admitting for the first time that I am an alcoholic was just incredible.

I left that meeting feeling that now that I had surrendered I was being guided by a far, far greater power than myself. I was on such a high and my usual Friday afternoon thoughts of drinking were non-existent.

I met a friend at the school gates and we were standing in the freezing cold and snow and she told me how she was going to go home, change into pyjamas and drink half a pint of Guiness before bed.

Suddenly I had these really vivid images flashing through my mind and I am in warm pyjamas and fluffly slippers, drink in hand beside a roaring log fire and there are cute puppies and kittens and my life is just cosy and blissful !!!

When has my drinking ever been like that????? And I have certainly never drunk half a pint in my life nor have I ever wanted to ??

I went from this wonderful high of recovery to this warped view of what drinking alcohol was like in a split second.

Fortunately this time I was able to clearly see the insanity. I didn't drink yesterday and I am not drinking today.

Sober greetings to everyone
Old 01-09-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Strong work, great awareness.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It really is amazing when it hits you like that. Just from reading what you said, I was reminded that I would NEVER unless our of sheer social necessity, buy a half pint. Absolutely didn't see the point.

Guess I am an alcoholic

Sitting here though, with slippers, Perrier, and music, and life is pretty nice.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awareness is key and I think a sense of humour is also a good weapon against that crafty alcoholic voice. Like when you suddenly get an image of a nice relaxing beer or whatever, to just laugh at how absolutely ridiculous it is!!! Like half a pint of Guiness before bed!!! hahahaha. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes!!! LOL

Peace
Old 01-09-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cambridge View Post
I was reminded that I would NEVER unless our of sheer social necessity, buy a half pint. Absolutely didn't see the point.

Guess I am an alcoholic
Yes, I think that is what sets us apart from the normal drinkers.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
Awareness is key and I think a sense of humour is also a good weapon against that crafty alcoholic voice. Like when you suddenly get an image of a nice relaxing beer or whatever, to just laugh at how absolutely ridiculous it is!!! Like half a pint of Guiness before bed!!! hahahaha. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes!!! LOL

Peace

That's a good idea.

It is laughable, isn't it?! Why would anyone who had gone through hell drinking think that drinking could be a pleasurable experience.