Notices

hello, its me again...

Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello, its me again...

i had nine months under my belt a couple of years ago, and then i started drinking again. i decided that in this new year, despite a few half hearted attempts at quitting "again", that this would be the year that i would be alcohol free. so, i'm on here, and working the SMART program. i tried a.a. in the past, and while i think its great for some, i don't feel its for me. i hope i'm not judged by that.
but, today i have a week without drink. the past week of no drinking has been accompanied by a sort of euphoria, but today, i'm feeling really down. i won't drink, but i'm just a bit down.
thanks for being there, soberrecovery community.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back ghostgirl

D
Old 01-08-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Good to see you back ghostgirl.

I was just telling a co-worker that my meditation for this weekend is going to be "suffering is optional". We've been threatened with our business closing almost every week.

I'm going on strike, and refusing to let it get me down
Old 01-08-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i'm sorry to hear that astro. and thank you, its good to be sober. ok, today has been a little stinky, but its still good
Old 01-08-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back and its great you have a program/plan. This poster doesn't care which program you choose and I would suspect not many others would care because its what works for you that is important.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ghostgirl View Post
i had nine months under my belt a couple of years ago, and then i started drinking again. i decided that in this new year, despite a few half hearted attempts at quitting "again", that this would be the year that i would be alcohol free. so, i'm on here, and working the SMART program. i tried a.a. in the past, and while i think its great for some, i don't feel its for me. i hope i'm not judged by that.
but, today i have a week without drink. the past week of no drinking has been accompanied by a sort of euphoria, but today, i'm feeling really down. i won't drink, but i'm just a bit down.
thanks for being there, soberrecovery community.

No your not judged at all.
but being an aa member id be interested why you dont think aa worked for you.
i only ask because for a good while it didnt work for me either.

i hope you find the programme that will get you too a contented place without booze.

as for feeling down i dont think thats unusual.......takes a while to feel balanced again....big highs and deep lows was common for me.

good luck.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Welcome back and one week sober is a fantastic achievement.

Unfortunately in life we cannot feel high or euphoric all the time. If we feel like that naturally all the time, we wouldn't feel any other emotions, would we?

The addict in us chases the high so don't worry that you are not feeling so great today. What you are feeling is perfectly normal for a human being. Even a sober one.

You are taking practical steps by following a programme for your recovery. Keep in contact.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Power to you Ghostgirl.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome back. ghostgirl.
I used the CBA worksheet from Smart and so far I think that is all I need.
If the benefits of not drinking continue to outweigh the benefits of drinking I will have no problem staying sober.
If something shifts then I will have to consider something else.
The support and comraderie here have really helped also.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you so much guys. there is so much here; i feel good about this year, a sober year. i know what triggered the drinking the last time i had quit. i was too afraid of being judged to tell someone that, no, i could not have a beer. then i fell into, "oh, wow, i only had half and am really buzzed..." and, like i was told, it just progressed from there. i was almost in the same place i was when i stopped the first time, if that makes any sense. and two years just flew, the last several months a bit of an alcoholic haze. *sigh*

thank you again.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
hps

I had to drink on euphoria or being down. Maybe that's why my emotions were quite raw when I first started sobriety.

There was a virtuous circle for me though. Once I experienced getting through bad patches without drinking or collapsing, it gave me the strength and confidence to get through subsequent bad patches.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on your first week and welcome back!

I don't think no one will judge you for what you use to stay sober.....whatever works. I'm fairly new here and love all the support I have gotten here. I too went the AA way...kept me sober for a while now. I never heard about the smart program....still learning.
Keep up the good work!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living in the moment!

Hey Welcome GhostGirl!!

Congrats on your week of sober days, I am right there with ya as I go into Day 8!!! Wow....I am feeling good about it!! I am also researching absolutely every resource I can for sobriety....I do NOT want to just limit to one way of thinking.....I believe there is sooooooo much out there that will help us learn to live a "happy" sober life!! I don't want to just quit drinking.....I want to LEARN to live happy, joyous and free!!!

Awesome that your recognizing the reason for your relapse. That means your willing to change!!! Kewl!!