Notices

I'm new...just wanted to say hi

Old 01-07-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up I'm new...just wanted to say hi

long time lurker, new time member.

Just a little about me:

Although I am nearly 30 years old I have been drinking since the age of 14, mostly heavly since 20 years old. As my drinking spiraled out of control I encountered many health problems, relationship problems, money problems and even lost my longterm job through it. In the year 2009 alone I was drinking approx 300 units per week. It was killing me and I knew it. You only had to look at me to tell that.

After a long think in Dec 2009 I relised that the last 10 year in my life I only existed; I done very little living. I need to kick my habbit so decied that as I turn 30 this year I want to start living again. My last day drinking was the 2nd Jan 2010. The shakes have pretty much gone.....just the cravings and boredom without drink I need to deal with. God knows how I am going to deal with the weekends and social things.

I look forward to hopfully get my memory back to normal, regaining interest in things, my red face and bloodshot eyes go away and I can start enjoying life again.

I wish you all a very good 2010 and hope we can all move on.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aaron7 View Post
I look forward to hopfully get my memory back to normal, regaining interest in things, my red face and bloodshot eyes go away and I can start enjoying life again.

Welcome to SR and you can bank on all those things if you stay sober. If boredom and lack of socializing are a factor in your recovery why not try a face to face group? Then you will have socializing and you won't be bored. Just a thought.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Aaron welcome to SR and congratulations on making what could possibly be the best decision you've ever made - to stop drinking! Recovery can be a slow and painful process but the rewards make it more than worthwhile. SR is a great place to discuss what you're going through with others who can relate in addition to f2f support. STay strong and keep posting.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR Aaron.
It is good to hear that most of your detoxing is behind you. When I read about the amount you were drinking I was concerned that that might be a BIG problem.
I spent a lot of time here when I just quit, still do, for lack of anything better to do but it is important to find other interests.
I do have a daily fitness regime which helps a lot.
I, too need to get off my butt and find other interests. Maybe I will do that this year: maybe next.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind replys. I am thinking about F2F just not 100% sure if it will work for me but I guess there is only one way to find out.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR Aaron! You've admitted you have a problem with alcohol, I hope you can make today your first day of a lifetime commitment to recovery. Sobriety is possible, you don't ever have to feel this way again.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Aaron,

Congratulations on making your excellent decision. I am glad you are here! I myself have been sober for 10 days thus far. There are a lot of us new folks around, just getting going. Seeing other people making the decision to stop drinking is really helping me along, so thank you for posting! Again, congratulations on taking your first steps. Man this is tough, but what is the alternative?

Cheers mate.

//_wlx
Old 01-07-2010, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aaron7 View Post
long time lurker, new time member.

Just a little about me:

Although I am nearly 30 years old I have been drinking since the age of 14, mostly heavly since 20 years old. As my drinking spiraled out of control I encountered many health problems, relationship problems, money problems and even lost my longterm job through it. In the year 2009 alone I was drinking approx 300 units per week. It was killing me and I knew it. You only had to look at me to tell that.

After a long think in Dec 2009 I relised that the last 10 year in my life I only existed; I done very little living. I need to kick my habbit so decied that as I turn 30 this year I want to start living again. My last day drinking was the 2nd Jan 2010. The shakes have pretty much gone.....just the cravings and boredom without drink I need to deal with. God knows how I am going to deal with the weekends and social things.

I wish you all a very good 2010 and hope we can all move on.
welcome to sr...........im glad your here.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery!!

I've quit drinking in the last month or so, and I have really found this to be helpful.

I hope you do too
Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Aaron
You've made a great move!

D
Old 01-07-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Aaron,

I am 28 and I understand what you are saying. I have also been just existing. I know I'll have to change a lot about my social life, but frankly, thanks to alcohol I don't have much of a social life as it is. Congrats on making it this far. I'm on day 4.

I'm doing my first f2f in about an hour. I figure I need to use any tools available to me, I've used half measures before and always failed. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LKKPA

Welcome Aaron!!
I hope you stick around and find this site as helpful as I have.

And Malcoms..you make a good point...I too thought I would lose and miss my "social" life, but as I look back I had NO social life!! All I did was look forward to coming home, isolate and drown myself in the bottle! It's amazing how our sick minds can rationalize us into drinking!!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hello Aaron and welcome to sr,i too am glad you are here! i gave up drinking over new year 2009.i was terrified! what was i going to do without my "solution" to life! i couldnt contemplate what i was going to do to fill the void.im in scotland to,up in the north east.yorkshire lass by birth but all my mums side of that family from up here,i did a geographical 8 years ago.i went to AA this time last year.it is a daunting prospect for alot of folk,the final nail in the coffin if you like.but i have to say my life has changed beyond recognition in the last 11 months.i rarely think about booze now and i have a programme for living a life which is infinately better than the old one.if a can be of any help to you please feel free to pm me.best wishes Charmie.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to all the newcomers who replied to this thread. It's always good to see new faces to recovery!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living in the moment!

Hi Aaron....welcome to SR....it is scary getting sober but you are NOT alone!!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Aaron7 welcome to SR.

When I first read that Aaron, it took me back to my early days of sobriety, I drank way to long and I wondered the very same thing, what gave me HOPE was seeing other recovering alcoholics face to face, to see many of them you would not have dreamed they ever looked like I did. Then I heard them share thier stories, half of them had drank far harder then I did, yet they looked healthy and full of life!!!

I wanted what they had both physically and mentally, before I got into AA I really did not feel there was a chance for me, I was hopeless.

You know I know today that there is no better proof of something then seeing it with your own 2 eyes & hearing it with your own ears face to face!!!

I could tell you I was 6' 5" and had an awesome physique with a beautiful tan and green eyes and was 25 years old and single, and have been sober for 10 years here on SR.

Well guess what? I lied my arse off! I am 5'7", and have a bit of the middle age spread going on, I did tell the truth on the tan, but it is more due to genetics and spending tons of time on the water, my eyes are actually between a pale blue and a steel grey, and I have actually have only been sober a bit over 3 years!

Do you or can you see me?

Heck no, the written word is awesome which is why SR is awesome........ but for this recovering alcoholic I needed early on to be able to see and feel what sobriety & AA brought to people.

I was glad to see you are going to check out some meetings. Now here is what was suggested to me in detox which has worked for millions of others. They told me to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

Well I was beyond tired of being a DRUNK, I wanted to become a recovering alcoholic! I followed thier suggestions and here I am over 3 years later living life happily one day at a time on lifes terms.

I did not like some of my first AA meetings, so rather then just throwing in the towel I went to other meetings, in less then a month I had a meeting I liked every day of the week.

BTW I got a sponsor the first day out of detox, great guy bit he worked and traveled to much so at about 2 months sober I switched to the sponsor I still have today.