Notices

Hey

Old 01-07-2010, 03:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey

Hey.

I am new here and on day 7. I am on vacation now, but back on work tomorrow. I am nervous about it because I often used red wine to calm down after a hard day´s work.

English is clearly not my first language, but I can´t find anything like this community in my own language, so I am glad I find you. I will need to have a place to go in the evenings.

I thought my drinking was because of my first bad marriage. But I still drank during my single time and in my new wonderfull marriage. And looking back I can see that my history of drinking way to much goes long back. It is time to put it to an end.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
20/12/09

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in the moment!

Hi Wallingford.....welcome to SR.

There is wonderful understanding and support here!! I think we all question what is causing our drinking, our minds try to figure it out, make new rules to control the drink, only to fail miserably.....well, that is what I have always done.

Reaching out is the first BIG step!! Your on your way!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Walling and congratulations on your sobriety! I think your English is great. Keep posting.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Wallingford
You'll find a lot of support here 24/7

Please use us
D
Old 01-07-2010, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. Well done on 7 days and especially on vacation.
I think you'll find that going back to work clear headed and functioning a lot better will make it easier to stay focused. Change your routine when you come home after work, keep coming to SR reading and posting.
A lot of people, including myself, find it harder to resist when being at home.
Weekends, vacations, etc.
You've done well already.
English is not my first language either and it's never made any difference in the support I have received, so don't worry about that.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hi Wallingford, welcome to SR

Congratulations on a week!

Your English is fine... possibly better than mine.

Take care,
TB
Old 01-07-2010, 05:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much

Saphie:
I have for a long time looked forward to vacations and weekends because it was a opputionity to drink without looking odd. I mean in the eyes of the society; if you drink on a normal monday night you´re alcoholic but if you drink on a friday night, you´re just a normal person.

But now I find what this time also is a good time to be sober, to eat healthy, to take a walk, to relax and do whatever I want. Instead of just drinking heavily and falling to sleep without any memory of the last hours.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR Wallingford.
I will say congrats on the first week too. That was the toughest for me and I was here everyday reading and posting to fill in the time I used to socialize and drink.
A daily fitness program helped me get quit and now it helps me stay quit.
I also drank when things were bad when things were good and when things just were.
Good luck on making the change.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Wallingford View Post

But now I find what this time also is a good time to be sober, to eat healthy, to take a walk, to relax and do whatever I want. Instead of just drinking heavily and falling to sleep without any memory of the last hours.

I can relate to that. It feels good to treat the body and mind well. I am day 5 today.

Your English is great. Welcome
Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Welcome to SR, Wallingford. Remember that just quitting alcohol, which is the first important step, is not the end, but the beginning of recovery. Consider the changes in your everyday routines that will happen, interactions with your current friends and colleagues, and how you interact at events that foster alcohol consumption. These and other elements of your life style will change with your sobriety. Make sure you accept all facets of abstinence as well as not tipping the glass.

It is a pleasure to have you here.

Padraic
Old 01-07-2010, 06:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have for a long time looked forward to vacations and weekends because it was a opputionity to drink without looking odd.
In my final days of drinking (and not living) I didn't really care what anybody thought as long as I had enough to drink
Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

your english is fantastic, plus your 7 days much more!!!! I work all the time now also. My advice, You MUST replace your drinking time with something. For me, exercise was it. I ride bikes and when I got out of my rehab stint I bought an exercise bike for my house. When I got home from work I would pull out my laptop, put on a movie or surf you tube or something, and get on my bike (its a recumbent in the house-so you can use your laptop) although I highly recommend outside cycling during the day- its awesome.

one other thing- when I got out of my drunken state and felt good and sober, and in control....I relapsed. That was awful, so change your routine my friend. The disease is lurking to pull you back in. But you are coming to the right place at SR.
Best wishes my friend
Dub