SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Signatures (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/191759-signatures.html)

55438 01-05-2010 01:59 PM

Signatures

Hi everyone,

I am a relative newbie around here and have found I love reading peoples' signatures. I often wonder why you chose them and what they mean to you.

Two of my favorites are "Heck where people go who don't believe in Gosh"

and "out of the ashes will rise the pheonix".

Why did you chose your signature and which are your favorites?

p.s. Did you old-timers know that you can't have a signature here until you have a specified number (25? or30?) of posts?

Astro 01-05-2010 02:08 PM

Mine was taken from a website for a paintball team that my son and I play with. It sorta sums up my attitude about recovery....I'm gonna go out with a smile on my face, knowing that sobriety has given me the richest life possible, the greatest gift I've ever received.

blackbirdsing 01-05-2010 02:11 PM

I (obviously) don't have one yet; but my favorite, (paraphrasing) is: "don't drink or drug, even if your butt falls off"... don't recall who it belongs to but I can't see it w/out smiling:)

NEOMARXIST 01-05-2010 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by blackbirdsing (Post 2477774)
I (obviously) don't have one yet; but my favorite, (paraphrasing) is: "don't drink or drug, even if your butt falls off"... don't recall who it belongs to but I can't see it w/out smiling:)

Thats the "bottom" line to it all really aint it!! LOL

jamdls 01-05-2010 02:13 PM

Mine is obviously from the bible. The bible is what i turned to to save my life and so far it's working. The book of Romans specifically has given me a blueprint to live by and this this 1 particular quote spoke to me and made sense to me about why there had been such garbage in my life previously.

55438 01-05-2010 02:25 PM

Astro - inspiration is EVERYWHERE!

Judy - I love the full circle journey of your signature.

truly the bottom line.

thank you for the laughs

yeahgr8 01-05-2010 02:27 PM

who i am and what i am doing, did all the inspirational stuff before and it didn't help me one bit...keeping it nice and simple:-)

Dee74 01-05-2010 02:30 PM

Mine is from The Prayer of Mother Theresa - I usually change my sigs, but I've stuck with this one for a while :)

D

55438 01-05-2010 02:37 PM

yeahgr8 and Dee -

This is fun, I am learning something, beyond addiction and pain, about each of the responders.

Thank you!

Sugah 01-05-2010 03:23 PM

Sure, I'll play...

The banner in my signature line is the essence of my spirituality -- many paths to one god.

The lyrics are from a Warren Zevon song he wrote when he was dying. The initials belong to a dear young friend of mine, along with the dates of her birth and death. She backed out of our plans to take her to her first meeting and was dead twenty-four hour later. It's a reminder that this thing we have is fatal if not treated.

Peace & Love,
Sugah

spryte 01-05-2010 03:26 PM

I really enjoy reading everyone's signatures. I don't have my own yet...nothing has really resonated yet.

Gypsy Feet 01-05-2010 04:07 PM

mine is against breed specific legislation. I have the most wonderful pittygirl, and it makes me sick that people think there are bad breeds of dogs, when the fault is always human. And the butt falling of is zendude, one of my favs as well.

Zencat 01-05-2010 04:24 PM

My current sig...Family Guy with little Stevie represents my outlook on American culture as depicted in cartoon form. Actually American Dad is being considered for my new sig. But I digress...I don't take much seriously...especially Americans and the lifestyle they lead as depicted in the media. I live to love satire....Makes me funny...gives me plenty of chuckles. So there it is...I'm a funny guy that likes to poke fun at everything...Otherwise I would wither-up and die with a scowl on my face.

Morbid I be too.

http://thegenderblenderblog.files.wo...oman_thumb.jpg

Mark75 01-05-2010 04:31 PM

I change mine every month or so... Generally I like song lyrics as a signature. Grateful Dead has been a favorite band of mine for a few decades now... The one I'm currently using, from Mississippi Half Step Uptown Toodeloo, means to me that if you are living on yesterday, well.. yesterday has already been mined... seal it up and move on... or something like that. :)

Mark

Sugah 01-05-2010 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cubile75 (Post 2477885)
I change mine every month or so... Generally I like song lyrics as a signature. Grateful Dead has been a favorite band of mine for a few decades now...

My husband "gave" me the Dead -- most of the Deadheads I knew before him were...not like him ;). Likewise, I "gave" him Warren Zevon & Richard Thompson.

I used lyrics from Ripple for a long time before my current signature:

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.
And that's my path to the Great Spirit -- as we each understand It.

Peace & Love,
Sugah

Mark75 01-05-2010 04:40 PM

Ripple is my wife's favorite all time Dead song ever.... As I get older and hear their lyrics through sober and, hopefully wiser, ears, I gotta say I'm usually impressed.

That's right, you are a Richard Thompson fan... I love his stuff, but most of his lyrics are rather dark... I love his 1952 Vincent Black Lightning... good stuff.

Mark

mirage 01-05-2010 04:54 PM

Interesting thread 55438! Mine is from the movie Finding Nemo. It just seemed to fit for me being in early recovery.

Anna 01-05-2010 05:05 PM

I don't change my signature very often because I haven't found anything that equals the impact of the words in John Denver's song, "Sweet Surrender". I think that his words fit the journey of recovery perfectly. I especially LOVE the words 'My life is worth the living, I don't need to see the end". For someone who was a control-freak and fixated on the destination, these words were golden to me.

Lost and alone on some forgotten highway
Travelled by many remembered by few
Looking for something that I can believe in
Looking for something that I'd like to do with my life

There's nothing behind me and nothing that ties me
To something that might have been true yesterday
Tomorrow is open and right now it seems to be more
Than enough to just be here today

OZboy 01-05-2010 05:50 PM

..i tended to be a loner..not any more...

Surlyredhead 01-05-2010 06:07 PM

I like mine because it reminds me that we are all human, the people we think are "perfect" have made mistakes just like we have, and we deserve a future regardless of our past mistakes.