Notices

Extreme_Craving

Old 01-05-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Extreme_Craving

Day 10. Intense craving right now. I get off work in 30 minutes, and it's going to take everything I've got not to stop at the liquor store. At this point, I don't see how it's possible not to drink. My alcoholic brain demands it. I hate this.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Take a deep breath and try to relax.
Sometimes it takes a bit of 'white knuckling to make it through.
When you do ...you'll really feel empowered.

Drive by that liquor store and flick it the bird.
Don't stop.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
My experience was that cravings would typically pass in 5-10 minutes. I can sit on my hands for that long, and driving past the liquor store rather than stopping was much better than an alcoholic death.

It's not worth it, drinking never improves any situation.

Keep reading these forums and you'll notice there really are people with long-term sobriety, it is possible to live a very good life without drinking.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nightstalker,

I am not a big fan of white knuckle sobriety for any serious length of time. However, those first few days and weeks are a real challenge. Do whatever it takes it takes not to drink. That means, right now, before leaving work, you call someone and have a plan for the rest of the evening or however long it takes to get your footing.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Nightstalker. I know how you feel. Believe me, we have ALL been where you are right now. But you need to ask yourself what will make you feel better in the morning. Will it be: 1) waking up with a clear head and a sense of self worth and knowing you are on day 11? or 2) waking up hungover feeling like crap having let yourself and everyone that cares about you down and having to start over at day 1.

The choice is yours my friend, and you know what the best answer is. Check in tomorrow on day 11.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to get on the phone as soon as I leave the office. I think the craving is passing a bit now.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Typing your feelings on SR sure helps!! You've done the right thing telling on yourself and not acting on your impulse. It will pass but it's just doing the opposite of what you want to do so it's gonna take some fight but it'l be worth it man. You'll be much stronger for it too so that next time when it comes again you'll have more strength to ignore it/not act upon it and be able to draw upon your previous experience and know that you do have the strength to remain sober through it. Phoning a fellow recovering alcoholic sure helps too.

Nail a pint of Coca-Cola or something, after all that fizzy sugar you won't be craving like you are now and it'l pass.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Do you "have to" pass by the liquor store or is there alternate route you can take? I only ask because changing your routine and reprogramming self can work. Just a thought.

Glad the craving has or is almost past.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have to pass by the liquor store, but I think I'll be OK now. You guys helped me immensely. I slammed a Coke, and really thought about the consequences and potentialities. I don't want to have to start over. I don't want to wake up sick and hung over again. I don't want to have to go through that first week of sleeplessness and waking up with panic attacks again. I'm pretty sure I'll make it another day. Thank you.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A word of caution, Nightstalker. Years ago before I got sober, I played that game of getting past the cravings and thinking I was getting stronger and learning how to resist it. It worked for a couple months and the cravings decreased. And then one day, unexpectedly, can't even remember why, I found some insanely trivial excuse for picking up a drink. And away I went for many months.

Just like the BB says, I repeated that experiment over and over for years, with the same results every time.

Those experiments taught me about powerlessness, but my god that was a painful lesson. When I saw the futility of those experiments, a solution for getting recovered became available to me.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just take positivity that you got through this Nightstalker!! You done great man!!!

One baby step at a time one day at a time!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good job!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I found what worked for me was going to as many meetings as I could....90 meetings in 90 days...get as many phone numbers and a sponsor .....and reach out when I craved.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it, Night Stalker
My experience is if you work through your cravings, they get easier to deal with.

I can't remember the last time I had a craving.

Keiths point is well taken tho - which is why I think it's crucial to keep working on recovery every day

D
Old 01-06-2010, 04:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Update: I didn't drink yesterday, and I'm VERY glad this morning that I didn't. I woke up early, came into work early, and even worked out for awhile in the office gym, which I've never done before, but always meant to do. Day 11 - so far, so good.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Talking So glad for you, Nightstalker!! Great job!!!

Don't you feel great today that you're not sick and hung over and angry at yourself. You did something very empowering and different yesterday. WE CAN DO THIS. You are 1/3 of the way through your first sober MONTH!!!!!!!!

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nice work buddy! You made it. Now forget about yesterday but carry the strength you gained on to today. One day at at time. Proud of you!