Notices

Emotions are off the hook!

Old 01-02-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotions are off the hook!

It's day 6 now w/ no weed. My moods are horrible. I feel anger, rage, resentment, sadness, irritability, on edge like never before. OMG! I go back to work tomorrow after a long holiday break. Hoping that will help me focus on other things. Keeping busy hasn't helped much today. Just about everything I've done and everyone I've come into contact with has pissed me off in one way or another. I feel like I'm isolating myself from my husband to sort of protect him, and he appears thankful because he isn't reaching out to me at all. Man, this day has been the worst yet. Ugh! One good thing, it's gotta get better from here. Thanks for "listening".
Old 01-02-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It definitely does get better. You still have emotions that you have to process, but you learn to handle them better. I isolated in the beginning too and I still do on occasion. I am having an evening to myself tonight. Husband and son are watching tv together and I get some time alone. I like that.

I hope your struggle lessens soon and you feel relief in changing your direction.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

it does get better Change...try and think of it as part of the healing process...
Have you heard of PAWs?

Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) Digital Dharma

D
Old 01-02-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Change...Day 6 is a great accomplishment!

I know what you mean about keeping busy not helping. Some days I was happy to isolate and other days I got some things done, sometimes a bit of everything. I just went with my own flow.

Congrats again.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for continuing to work at your sobriety!
Old 01-02-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Congrats on your 6 days, they all add up!! The mood swings are a b!tch getting off of pot. Lots of folks say there are no withdrawals, but I beg to differ. While the physical withdrawals are relatively mild, the psychological ones can really test you. It does get better with time. Just remember if you give in, you gotta go through all of this again and again. Depending on how heavy a smoker you were it can take a few weeks or sometimes a bit more to feel "right". The way THC is stored in your body makes it stick around in your system longer than just about any drug.

You are just feeling a flood of emotions that you've been numbing for some time. It does get better. I smoked essentially non-stop for about 20 years and when I finally quit for real, I was all over the place emotionally. I hadn't "felt" in so long, I had to relearn what it was all about. It took several months before I started "feeling right". I don't want to discourage you with that, but what I can tell you is I feel a peace inside now that I haven't felt in a long, long time, if ever. Everything is not wonderful in my life, but somehow, I'm still OK with it. People here at SR promised me this for years and years, and it's only now that I'm starting to experience it, with 8 months clean. It really is a wonderful thing, and for me, was worth every climb and drop on the emotional rollercoaster I've been on.

Keep yourself as busy as possible. Drink lots of fluids, especially water, it helps flush the toxins out of your body faster. When things get really frustrating, a good hard workout helps, running is great as it is good for you and helps wear you out. You don't even have to go far, just long enough to burn up that anger and frustration. Best of luck on your journey, it sounds like you have a good start. Remember, you don't have to quit forever, just for today, then do the same thing tomorrow, and the next day. I think you get it. Take care.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

congratulatioons on day 6 to ya!!!
That's like ... almoost a week or something.

Sure makes one think twice
about all the propaganda
about it not being an 'addictive' drug,
doesn't it?

I mean that's a lot of symptoms
for a non-addictive substance.

Good for you!!!

Stick with it -
go kick the couch -
and remember
and you're not alone!
Old 01-03-2010, 02:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
20/12/09

Read the 'Paws' thing too - I did and it explained HEAPS! Well thats my opinion and helped me understand the mood part of it.

The moods drive you mental hey..hang in there, everyone keeps telling me the same thing...today is almost done for me, tomorrow is another day to get through, when it gets here!
Old 01-03-2010, 03:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are just feeling a flood of emotions that you've been numbing for some time.
I think Tyler nailed it. I wasn't a pot smoker, I am an alcoholic. But, I felt the same way: I was angry for months in early sobriety. Angry and miserable.
But, I would just have to echo what others have said here: I was escaping my feelings and finding that comfortably numb place with alcohol. The goal was not to feel anything.

It's hard to face the reasons why you are angry; in my case I came to understand that I have been operating as a martyr all my life, codependent, adult child of alcoholics and I had a lot of self-development work to do.

But, there is liberation in understanding why you are angry, why you do the things you do. And it is liberating to know you can find new solutions to problems.

Do you have any kind of plan or program in place?
Congrats on your 6 days!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day #8 is almost under my belt. Yay! The paws link was very informative and helpful! Made it through work okay today and feeling sort of alright tonight. It's kind of weird because today I've felt more "numb", but the little things can throw me into a darn near rage in 0.2 seconds flat. I don't really have a plan in place other than to get to tomorrow. I looked up meetings and am planning to attend one this week. Not real sure the 12 step program is my cup of tea, but I won't know if I don't show up and learn more about it. I start school next week. My first ever attempt at earning a degree. Looking forward to that adventure and all it entails. Hoping to do well and continue my journey of self-improvement. I ordered a Wii Fit game the other day after playing it and loving it at my bff's house. It should arrive this week, hopefully. Thinking of it as sort of a reward for the money I'm saving now not buying weed. Also thinking of the fun I had with it and the activity it involves certainly won't hurt me! I found a quote tonight that I felt was perfect for how I'm feeling at this point and thought I'd share: "You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can prevent them from building nests in your hair."-- Chinese Proverb - I think I have a few nests to get rid of. Thanks again for being here, ya'll.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by ChangeGonnaCome View Post
I don't really have a plan in place other than to get to tomorrow.
Step 1) Don't get high today.

Step 2) See step one.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have withdrawn from pot on multiple occasions and it can be a difficult thing emotionally. The good news is that if you hang in there it really does get better, just give it a few more weeks. Pot takes awhile to get out of your system, unlike other drugs where the withdrawal is rapid--for marijuana you are still in the acute stage of withdrawal assuming you smoked everyday. Good luck.