SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Symptoms (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/191519-symptoms.html)

dedubya 01-02-2010 07:32 AM

Symptoms

I have quit a couple of days ago (for the millionth time this year)- and have this weird feeling when I wake up. I feel dry heaves for like 30 mnts or more- never had that- and a bit of high anxiety. Wondering if this is a symptom of WDs? Anyway I am giving this my all, and it really seems harder this time around. Just some thoughts....
Dub

FanofJoeMcQ 01-02-2010 07:40 AM

Yep. Keep crackers or graham crackers and water nearby. Take a few nibbles upon arising...before your regular breakfast routine. I would pop a pepcid too at night before retiring...keeps the heaves at bay. Keeping you in my prayers Dub.

shaun00 01-02-2010 08:21 AM

if your sleeping thats great.

anxiety and dry retching in my experience is all part of alcohol withdrawal.

BUT...if your concerned give the doc a visit if you can ....just too get some blood works done at least.

its always best to be honest with the doc about your drinking.

in the mean time keep well hydrated and take it easy.

Ananda 01-02-2010 08:27 AM

yes...i have the same problems with withdrawal....always best to check in with your dr.

Your still alive, you came back.....I believe where there is life there is hope with this disease and am sooo glad to see you here.

Every withdrawal I've had has been worse than the one before...except this time...If I knew why I would tell you but I don't.

dedubya 01-02-2010 08:52 AM

thanks all- I am trying to hang. I think I'm sleeping because I am just so worn out from all of this drama, and I am sticking with my workout routine. But keeping a close eye on BP. I am doing this at home and no one understands the anxiety piece (the nausea usually goes away after an hour or two and I get up before everyone so they don't get to 'experience' that wonderful scene)- I think I am making it harder because I am so on 'edge' because no one around here understands the feeling- plus I usually am never stressed. Opposite right now.....wonder how long this WD thing is going to go on....
D

Mark75 01-02-2010 09:07 AM

Hard to say how long dubs...

Ridin' that bicycle?? I got my trainer up and am doing much better this winter as opposed to last, when I was newly recovering. Man, a good spin to some good tunes works wonders... maybe that'll help some of that WD stuff.... I like to spin to Luther Allison, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Thackery and Allman Bros. Band... Sometimes Stevie Ray...

So Dude... said like Walter would intone ;)... what are you doing different this time?

Mark

Ananda 01-02-2010 09:24 AM

last time i detoxed at home the dr. was able to provide me with a small amount of anxiety meds to help with the first 3 days...might be worth a call

yeah...lots of times people don't understand....just remember it doesn't mean they don't care.

dedubya 01-02-2010 09:28 AM

yeah riding inside- but only 45mnts to an hour a few times each week. I have no idea what I am doing different this time, other than increased desire to not drink. Not a good answer but true. Walter cracks me up, thanks.

Mark75 01-02-2010 09:50 AM

That's not bad... I do 50-70 mins about 5, maybe 6, times a week. I am at a low fitness level for me this year and I am going skiing in Utah in March and I am motivated to get into shape, which helps. Making turns in deep powder at 11 thousand feet for this north-easterner takes a lot of breath ;)... Sometimes I swing some 8 lb dumbbells around while spinning... that really gets the heart rate up... :)

I'm thinkin' that since you have done the rehab thing and have said that you are not averse to AA...

Have you thought much about powerlessness? Surrender? Higher Power... You know it's not a weak minded or coward's way out, it's actually a path of great strength and triumph... If you are ready to go to any length... you can PM me... or... there is a lot of experience, strength and hope as pertains to the AA program over in the 12 step support section... maybe you could find something that resonates with you there...

I didn't think I'd be able to say this a year ago, but I'm on the track to being happy, joyous and free... no, it's not all rainbows and ponies coming down from the sky, but it ain't so bad...

Well, gotta go figure out how to re-adjust some bindings and wax and sharpen those skis... gonna hit the local hill first thing in the AM... I'll be checking back though.

Peace
Mark

Gypsy Feet 01-02-2010 10:13 AM

I have lots of rainbows and ponies falling from the sky.

gerryP 01-02-2010 10:34 AM

Congratulations Dub for trying again, but my friend...you need to have a plan and strategy. Sitting around drinking and then detoxing, drinking and detoxing is not a life.

I'll call a spade here...why do you think you will be able to abstain for good this time? Is it based on hope, because hope isn't a strategy. As the saying goes, if nothing changes then nothing changes. Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results and as you said yourself "for the millionth time"

Why don't you give some serious thought to this. It's a lifestyle change Dubs. If it means AA, therapy, doing volunteer work during the day, a second job, getting interested in a hobby, taking interest classes, a combination of any of the above, but something has to be implemented to give yourself the best possible advantage. What's holding you back?

I really wish you the best Dubs, not to discourage you, but you need to take action.

Mark75 01-02-2010 10:36 AM

I bet you do, Gypsy! This is for you...

http://desedo.com/blog/wp-content/up...d-rainbows.jpg

lol

Mark

gerryP 01-02-2010 10:37 AM

Or is it Rainbows and Puppy dog tails...I guess it's meaning the same thing.

NEOMARXIST 01-02-2010 10:40 AM

Yer man that feeling of uprising anxiety was what just made me reach the point where I said I just cannot do this anymore. I guess people who ain't been through it themselves just couldn't understand.

I remember my worst ever withdrawl/hangover/comedown all too well. I still didn't get to where I am now ie- sobriety, untill 8 months later and being off and on and then off and on quitting booze and drugs.

I remember saying to my mother who witnessed me writhing in bed in absolute mental torture that I wouldn't wish what I was feeling upon my worst enemy. The vomitting is one thing but it was the racing, hideous thoughts and the upwelling of anxiety as my mind raced saying I was gonna die that was the worst. I really think that I couldn't have put up with many more of them and thats why I'm where I am now really. I'm glad I took lots of drugs on my binges as they made the severity of my comedowns/hangover/withdrawl so much worse and speeded up the process for me saying I just can't keep doing this anymore.

I have upmost respect for alkies who go on for years daily drinking as I could have never have gotten to that stage, I would have left this planet long before then as I just couldn't cope.

Hope you're feeling better soon man.

peace x

Dee74 01-02-2010 02:57 PM

I totally agree with Gerry, Dub. Talk is great - but it needs action behind it - you need change, man.

D