Notices

Want to try again.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want to try again.

I'm back and I'm sure im not alone today wanting to try again at sobriety. My last attempt gave me 33 days. Then I started feelking better...feeling stronger and healthier and had more energy.

This made me want to drink because it gave me a false sence of security. The addict in me somehow had me thinking that I really wasnt that bad and maybe I can handle it....sound familiar?

I fell off that wagon and began drinking more frequently and harder.

I just dont know how to break this ugly cycle. I know Im an alcoholic, I know I have to stop drinking.

Guess im here to try it yet again. Im back and for those of you who remember me from a few months ago, missed you and my sobriety

Carrie
Old 01-01-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Carrie

It's certainly familiar to me - eventually I thought I was 'wasn't that bad' so many times, and found out I was....I just accepted what I was.

checking in here regularly - reading, posting, and re-reading my early posts - all helped me break the cycle too

D
Old 01-01-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back Carrie! I've been where you are. Just keep coming back. I'm on day 67 today. I will say the first 30 days were the hardest for me. It is getting easier though.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Carrie,

I went through that same cycles for years. I'd hang on tight and try my best to not drink. Talked to my doctor, went to a counselor, did outpatient treatment, inpatient rehab, went to AA meetings. I'd put together a few weeks or a few months of not drinking, and then for some insanely trivial reason (like being bored or anxious), I'd start drinking again.

Finally it was pointed out to me in AA's Big Book that I was not the first person to be in that cycle. The book spoke of countless vain attempts to control our drinking. It spoke of always making a resolution, but never a decision, not to drink. Because a decision requires action.

The actions were laid out for me precisely in the first 164 pages of that book. I took those actions as best I could at the time, and I recovered.

I stay in those actions in my daily life, and I've never had to worry about alcohol since then.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carrie36 View Post
I fell off that wagon and began drinking more frequently and harder...I just dont know how to break this ugly cycle.
Carrie
That's what the 12 steps are for, Carrie. You might want to get you a good sponsor to guide you through the steps. I wish you all the best.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Carrie. I don't know why we procrastinate, knowing what has to be done. I knew many years ago I couldn't drink, but kept trying to control it. Playing with fire that way caused so much damage to my life and health.

When I found SR I started to see the light, knowing everyone else had been down the same road I was on. They made it, and I knew I could too. We'll be here to help in any way we can. Congratulations on your decision, a whole new world awaits you.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living in the moment!

Hi Carrie,

I am in the exact same place with wanting sobriety, I've been through many different types of treatment.....only to fail again! The longest I have to date is 6 mths.....I am so sick of the drinking, the binging, the headaches, the hiding etc.....

I have started repairing my relationship with God, I can NOT do this alone! I hope I can find some encouragement with SR....I have read some very strong sobriety here. Something I want today!!