SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   anyone_feeling_"antsy"_about_tonight? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/191402-anyone_feeling_-antsy-_about_tonight.html)

Kjell 12-31-2009 06:41 AM

anyone_feeling_"antsy"_about_tonight?

Hi all-

Just wanted to try to start a post for anyone who may be feeling "antsy" about tonight. I don't want to drink and my 38 days are important to me.

I've made plans to play xbox 360 games with my little brother all night. I'm watching him all weekend at my parent’s house (they are out of town) and they have removed all the alcohol from the house.

I'm also attending a noon AA meeting today (hopefully another one tonight). I'll also log on to SR, call other alcoholics, and of course pray.

Just wanted to see what you all may be doing about keeping your sobriety tonight. I think it's important to have a plan.

Thanks!

24hrsAday 12-31-2009 06:46 AM

Not Me KJ.. it's Just Another Day!:nyac

Mark75 12-31-2009 06:52 AM

Yes, I am a little antsy... I'm not afraid of drinking, I won't. However...

My wife and I have gone out NYE with the same couple every year for 25 years. My wife loves it and has a great time, even though she MIGHT have one white wine spritzer (two if the bartender is stingy...)... My friend, well, he'll be slurring before the New Year starts, thank God his wife is always the designated driver...

Well... tonight we are doing it just like every year, except last year, my first sober NYE... we passed last year, she didn't resent it, my alcoholism was still untreated.

So why am I antsy?

I want everyone to have a good time. I don't want my being a recovered alcoholic to in anyway affect anyone else. I did start the day off with some meditation and I am in a good place... I want to stay there. I know however, that there will be a moment or two between dinner and the ball drop...

I certainly recommend that newly recovering alkies stay out of bars and away from parties with lots of alcohol unless their recovery is solid and that they have a plan for departure if relapse seems likely....

HAPPY NEW YEAR...

Mark

louis 12-31-2009 06:52 AM

I thought i might be alittle antsy about tonight..

Now it does feel like another day..

I decided to keep myself safe by working... i am going to work and working til the 2nd... when its all by...

Good for you for having a plan too... thats what we need to do if we have situations coming up that bothr us... and playing xbox seems like a good en :)

Take care and weldone on 38days... enjoy a peaceful and safe/sober 2010

bugsworth 12-31-2009 06:55 AM

I'm with 24 on this...Today is no different than any of the other 364 days of the year. I don't drink...not today...not tomorrow...not ever. Enjoy your time with your brother and Happy New Year!

txsar 12-31-2009 07:10 AM

I am definitely antsy about tonight. My husband, kids and I are going to a neighbor's house tonight after dinner. As far as I know it will only be us there. They were at our house last year and we drank for about 4 - 5 hours straight while the kids played. They do not know yet that I'm not drinking. So, I'm nervious about revealing that I'm no longer drinking. I think I can go and not drink but just nervous about the initial awkwardness. The good thing is if I feel really anxious I can walk across the street and be home. So, I may be going to a meeeting tonight prior to the festivities. Thanks for the thread.

coffeenut 12-31-2009 07:40 AM

Nope, it's just another day.....and I intend to treat it with the same respect I've treated the past 364.

This is my second sober NYE.....Never, ever thought I'd feel this good. :)

Tazman53 12-31-2009 08:34 AM

LOL Antsy...... as others said, it is just another day...... of course it was just another day when I was drinking, when I was drinking I would already be passed out at that point, years before my drinking got really bad my wife would wake me up about 10 minutes til sometimes and we would toast the New Year in.

Since I turned about 20 NYE became just another night.

Since I have gotten sober it remains another night.

I get up at 3:20AM to go to work daily so staying up that late is VERY difficult.

The only reason some one new to recovery should be antsy is if they are going to be playing with fire and going somewhere where a lot of drinking is going on.

When I was new to recovery the most important thing in my life was staying sober (Still is), there was absolutely no one or nothing that could have put me into a situation where I could possibly even be tempted.

While taking the steps my obsession to drink was lifted, I go where I want today as long as I am spiritually fit and have a reason to go there.

Would I go to a NYE party? If it was a family or sober one yes, but if it was like many are where the only REAL reason to go was to get drunk I would skip it. Why would I go, I spent many years being drunk with other drunks and without them, I did it for years, why bore myself watching people get drunk, act like they are intelligent while those of us sober see what idiots we really were when we were drunk.

We have several NYE meetings tonight in my area, but I will be asleep! LOL

bananagrrrl 12-31-2009 08:50 AM

I am feeling sort of antsy, but we have plans for dinner with the couple we are staying with in Charleston, SC and then we are just going to hang out and shoot fireworks at midnight. My girlfriend does not drink, so I have it easy there. :sparkler

I think we are going to see a movie this afternoon. Not sure which one. Would like to see the Sandra Bullock movie.

sunset2000 12-31-2009 09:16 AM

I'm on day 11 and so far I haven't been antsy about NYE until yesterday when I stumbled a bit and had a pretty bad craving. I'm going to watch fireworks down by the marina. I've joined a social group of local professionals and it's their event. So I won't know anyone and that's a little scary to me. But there's no one (other than my ex-boyfriend) who could go with me and I want tonight to be my night. So I want to go by myself, my own little sober adventure.

But after yesterday and with the awkwardness of not knowing anyone I am worried. I'm not sure how I'm going to stay strong. But I also know that I want to wake up tomorrow with no regrets. It will be a test of my resolve to stay sober, that's for sure.

GeeQ 12-31-2009 09:16 AM

I had some trepidation about tonight for sure. I'm new to the program as well...about 5 days newer than yourself. I am going to a friend's gathering with the wife and kids. There will be alcohol there, but I don't feel the need to drink today. Just came out of a discussion meeting which helped me clear my head. Things can change at the drop of a hat for sure, but I plan on doing what you are doing. I have a bunch of fellow AA's on speed dial and I will pray again for some serenity. Best wishes to all who are nervous about this day. Just remember, as it was said above, it's just another day.

vegibean 12-31-2009 09:16 AM

Well I've got the little guy with me and he wants to stay up and watch all the stuff and do the whole ringing in the midnight/New Year thing. So I got some extra sleep this morning, hee hee, and that's what we're going to do.

I have to say this because, well I just have to, any reason to pick up in my book is just a justification for picking up. It doesn't matter what the situation is. I'm staying sober no matter what. ;)

Tazman53 12-31-2009 09:35 AM

Would like to see the Sandra Bullock movie.
If it is the movie "Blindside" it is awesome!!! Make sure to take some kleenex!

Dee74 12-31-2009 03:12 PM

I remember building the day up with my own expectations for too many years...
I stayed home...my NYE was very ordinary, guys...but good :D

Happy 2010 to you all.
D

Supersadie 12-31-2009 03:43 PM

Hell yea I'm antsy! It's not just another day when friends are calling with suggestions for parties/bars, although I usually don't go out on NYE. Since I'm not dating anyone this year (usually stay home & cook a nice dinner if I'm in a relationship), there is the temptation to go out rather than be alone. But I'm on day 2, detoxing at home, and have decided to stay-in, light the fire, and watch tv/movies. Since I can't afford in-patient detox, I've decided to allow myself some lounge around like a patient time at home. :-)

cookie123 12-31-2009 04:53 PM

Lucky for me I live in a dry county and the closest bar is easily an hour or more away. I'm only two days sober, but I'm not antsy. I'm staying busy with cooking, eating and work. I am dreading the night sweats though.

Surlyredhead 12-31-2009 05:03 PM

Frozen Pizza and a Twilight Zone Marathon for me, the only reason I am staying up past midnight is because I have to pick up my Son From a Party. Not quite the wild woman I used to be..LOL, Thank God!!!!

Happy New Year everyone!!!!

Cathy

Zzyzx 12-31-2009 05:09 PM

I will be keeping my cats calm from all the fireworks and making sure my neighbors don't burn down my house from all the coconut shells they will be launching.

WakeUp 12-31-2009 05:41 PM

I had a work party function to go to...at a brewey! Sailed right through it with some raspberry iced tea. Now I'm at home for the real party...TWILIGHT ZONE MARATHON!!!

Be safe and sober everyone. :)