Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Dari,

I know what you're talking about with that little voice. After 24 years of incorporating drinking into everything I do my mind is conditioned that drinking = fun. Therefore, no drinking = no fun. Without psychoanalyzing myself too much I think this is the main reason I relapse. I just get bored.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Dari This place and the people here have been essential to me in the first weeks of my recovery.
Best to you,
Sarah
Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome Dari I too was just a 'social drinker' for 20+ years I knew I drank too much when I drank but I only drank on the weekends...then I started drinking couple nights during the week,...then most every night...gradually there was nothing social about my drinking at all. The hardest part about stopping drinking for me was figuring out who I was sober and learning to love myself. The last couple of years have been the happiest of my life because I am free of my crutch; like blackbirdsing's avatar I now have wings to fly. The rewards of sobriety are endless.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Dari!!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi everyone....I've been lurking here for about a week and finally decided to join today.

Reading all of your posts has made me determined to change my life. It's good to know that I am not alone.
I've only been sober 1 day, but I feel a new strength within me that I can beat this.
Should I tell my family what I'm feeling or wait a while?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Patty, welcome. YES tell anyone and everyone what you are feeling. Some won't understand a bit and some won't believe but some will be there to support you and those are the ones to stay close with.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
Hi Patty, welcome. YES tell anyone and everyone what you are feeling. Some won't understand a bit and some won't believe but some will be there to support you and those are the ones to stay close with.
Thank you.....I have a hard time sharing my feelings....even on an anonymous message board.
I have always ran from the beast....I've never looked it in the eye and embraced it. I need to stop running.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome PattyPete

Some of us told everybody and everyone - some of us didn't.
I think you know your family best....there's no problem with waiting a while until you're sure what to do anyway

D
Old 12-30-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I haven't told anyone I'm an alcoholic or I'm in AA. I just tell people I've stopped drinking for health reasons if they ask but people rarely do.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome Patty!

The first 24 hours is HUGE, it's not "only one day sober." Congratulations.

For me, I told close family members who I knew would support me when I was feeling different emotions in the beginning - they kept me going with their love and support.

Other people I didn't tell since it was a personal decision and I didn't need to worry about any judgements against me while I was beginning my recovery. Everyone's different.

My best decision was finding another woman early on who had been through exactly what I was going through. Someone I could call day or night and who would talk me through things that kept me from picking up again. I met this woman through AA but I'm a firm believer that everyone needs to find their own way. AA is still part of my recovery program, but it's not the only part.

There's lots of support out there and awesome support right here on SR. Welcome and Happy New Year!