Notices

blessings

Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

blessings

the only reason i know how many days is because i have a calendar on my desk and each day that i complete i mark and 'x' through it and write the total in the lower right corner.

that is not really important. i just want to share with any newcomer that i was them 113 days ago. it was rough at first. i have had triggers since then but they subsided.

i have passed many tests where there was alcohol at the center of the function. they weren't easy but i am so happy i didn't succumb to that little voice.

some things i am happy about:

i was not edgy all day on christmas eve around family because i couldn't wait to get home so i could get my drink on in the comfort of my house. same applies to christmas day. i would have visited family then excuse myself to my house to drink vodka until pass out stage.

my brother is really fighting his alcoholism right now. he once was clean for 8 months using aa.....i've tried to nudge him back into it. he shared with me that he needs help. i share with him what this site has meant to me. but as i know myself....nobody can do it for you. and you can't do it for anybody else.

they can most definitely benefit from your recovery as my sons and wife have benefitted from me not drinking. but i had to quit for me because i was killing myself 16-20 ounces of vodka at a time.

my health in infinitely better. especially my blood pressure. i am a 50 year old man. i'm in good shape weight wise. when i was drinking i really needed to be on bp meds but i refused to go to the doctor. since i've quit drinking my bp is great. my liver numbers are great.

one thing that i always did was make sure i was a functional drunk. i never missed work. i may have felt like mierda when i was there but i did not miss.

i used a shower every morning to try and clean the cobwebs out and make it in. sunday night i had put my clothes out for monday and i was taking a shower so i wouldn't have to in the morning.

my brain which has so much better clarity was running full bore. it was telling itself how many times it had been in that shower trying to get 'normal' enough to go to work.

it felt great knowing i'd finish up and go to bed sober. that is a great feeling now. i'm actually getting really good sleep now. i've had stretches where it was not good sleep but for now it's great.

my mind is my job and now i am much more productive. i'm basically number 2 at out plant. my boss is also a vodka drinker. my quitting has caused him to re-assess his drinking and he is clean right now. it's not something i pushed on him at all. i just shared with him that i had to quit drinking. he told me that he has used it as motivation for him.

i know this is so long but i guess i just want to share how great it feels to have normal body functions and normal mind functions and anyone on here can have that.

if you are early on in your recovery....trust me....if i can...you can have it.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a great post, and I'm glad you are enjoying your sobriety and that you are feeling the gratitude.

I had a most wonderful Christmas too. Ten years ago, my daughter was barely speaking to me. I was blessed this Christmas to have both my children here, along with their spouses, and best of all, my two new grandchildren, both born this year. It doesn't get any better than that!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree that is a great post! Good for you! One of the blessings about sobriety is helping others and you just never know when that opportunity arises.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

113 days is awesome, it gets even better then you can imagine as long as you keep working on your self. That is a great post for the newcomers, it gives hope that it is indeed possible.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most definitely a great post and so well put. Thanks for sharing your inspiration and congratulations on your 100 plus sober days.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

a_f_m.........AWESOME!!!!.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this! It really has motivated me!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post AFM

D
Old 12-29-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Beautiful!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you, and congrats! I can't wait til I can say the same as you...dayswise!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bbr

Its posts like this that help me keep going (not drinking). Thanks AFM.

BBR
Old 12-29-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

to all of the newcomers that responded that it helped.....i did it specifically for you guys. honest to god...i was you coming out of the september 8th holiday weekend.

i fought through every struggle you are going through now. i just want to give you hope....the same hope that people in front of me gave me.

the same hope the really long timers give every single one of us when they get up to a new day and greet every aching newcomer. there can't be a new story they have heard. the depravity that alcohol rains down on us is global...not unique...we may think it is to us but it isn't.

yet they get on here every day and welcome us newcomers with no judgementalism. with open arms...with 'love' if i dare say it. i always try to close out a post with thanks to everyone that has helped me. and it is everyone on this site. even the fellow newcomers. i just want to give back a tiny bit of what i've taken in. much love.

david.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

made me a little teary eyed...and hopeful. thank you for sharing this.