Notices

Preparing to quit on 1/2

Old 12-27-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Welcome to SR.

For me, I could tell that I was an alcoholic simply by promising myself that I wouldn't drink and then by being unable to stop myself from drinking.

I have the "tomorrow disease" as in "I can always start tomorrow". What I have learned in sobriety is that only "today" matters.

So, I like your "plan", but it is classic alcoholic thinking.

My "plan" is how I won't drink today.

I wish you the best.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

We do have a thread on de toxing and some of our experiences

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Also....the thread just below that link
interesting info on alcoholism.

They are the top 2 sticky post in our Alcoholism Forum......
where you can find other SR members winning over alcohol.

Hope this helps...
Old 12-30-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

well folks, I went to my Dr appointment and she prescribed something to get me through the next 7 days - this is what I was hoping for!!!!

I am not waiting until 1/2, but had my last drink last night!!!! Wish me luck and courage!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:50 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Betterdad,
Hey, that is wonderful! Congratulations on Day 1.
I wanted to pipe in here because I drank just like you drank.
I figured that I did not need to "detox" because I went 18 hours without a drink almost every day. So I did not see a doctor or anything. I did completely change my routines, drink a ton of water, take vitamins an exercise. I was shaky and anxiety ridden, feeling panicky the first couple of weeks. It was not until months later when I read some stuff on here about detoxing that I realized that that was what the anxiety was

Anyway, I got through it. I went to AA almost everyday and worked out almost every day for the first 6 months. It was hard to change my habits, ya know. I drank every night while I was cooking dinner. So I planned ahead with everything. I started having my kids help me make dinner cause when I was drinking I chased them out of the kitchen so I could drink. The sleeping part was rough cause I picked up a serious coffee habit, lol. Anyway, so I stopped drinking anything caffeinated after 3pm. Alcohol put me to sleep every night (passed out really) so I had to learn to put myself to sleep. But I do want to say that I have been sober over 19 months now and I have done it without any prescription assistance. I have used AA, SR and my HP, but no sleeping or anti anxiety meds.

I wish you the very best. i promise you that you will be amazed at the changes in the first year. I thought that there would be some change but nothing drastic as I only drank in the evenings. Boy was I wrong. Everything is better today. And I have never been happier.

So, what is your plan for New Years? Like I said, planning ahead makes everything easier. Keep us updated!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hey there BetterDad. Just want to give you a 2 thumbs up....stay strong and keep posting during your recovery. I, as well as many others will look forward to hearing about your progress and guiding you along the way. Well I won't be guiding...... I'll be doing the same as you.

2010 is going to be a great year!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

We were going to have a new years party here when my date was 1/2. The kids were sleeping over at the grandparents house. They still plan to do that, but canceling the party - "sick". Just my wife and I watching TV and probably not staying up until midnight.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Originally Posted by BetterDad View Post
We were going to have a new years party here when my date was 1/2. The kids were sleeping over at the grandparents house. They still plan to do that, but canceling the party - "sick". Just my wife and I watching TV and probably not staying up until midnight.
I've come to really enjoy those kind of nights

I promise you wont wake up and think.. "Gosh, I wish I would have gotten drunk last night".

I'll join you on that New Years Eve plan.. stay safe, and take care of yourself. This will be a fabulous year for you and your family I bet!!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done on starting early, BD

D
Old 12-31-2009, 04:31 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

doing well.... starting my day 2 and so far so good!!! lets hope it says this way. My Dr scared me straight (sober) yesterday. I went in for my physical and they said my BP was a little high but my heart rate was really high 105... did an EFK and came back abnormal.

hey scheduled an appointment 3 hours later with a cardiologist. He they repeated all the tests and they came back normal except for the high heart rate (always high, not short term attacks) He bought in the lead cardiologist for a "talk". He said, do you know why this is happening to you? It is the combination of heavy daily drinking and too much caffeine. Some kind of chemical issue that wouldn't let your heart rate get to normal level. Right now, you are OK as long as you either severely cut down drinking and reduce coffee. I told him I quit yesterday. He said good, because if not we will be seeing you in here for far more serious issues in a couple years.

Well, I now know another reason to quit - to Live!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:45 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I hope you go to AA and don't try to do this alone.......
Old 12-31-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are heading into a healthy sober future.
Good for you.....

Drinking a toxin damages all internal organs as you just discovered.
Enjoy your new lifestyle....it can benefit everyone in your family.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Ok... morning of day3 and still going strong. I have been thankful for very little physical effects so far and I hope it stays that way. Last night was a bit strange with just the wife and I hanging watching the festivities on TV. I asked my wife when was the last New Years we were both 100 sober? Took us awhile but I think it must have been 16 or 17. that's 21 years..... geez.

I think I feel strong in my own home. There is no alcohol here and don't feel to many temptations. I do not even feel like leaving the house though where there may be alcohol. taking the kids sledding, movies, bowling... all good. By night time when I would usually drink though... I want to be back in my "cave" where I feel I have more control.

How long until you build up your sober experience where you venture out?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:04 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

betterdad.....i can't give you an exact amount of time when you feel safe to 'venture out'....i quit on september 8th. i was fine in my casa...no alcohol in there but when i went to my college football games i was very tempted as i had always drank pregame and always snuck some in.

it was tough but i did make it through it. i kind of adjusted tho'. in the past i would arrive at 'tailgating activities' at least a couple hours in advance and drink with everyone else. this year i would only arrive around 45 minutes before the game and hang out. part of me wanted to have my friendly vodka back but i knew it would be the start of the downfall all over again.

similar thing with college basketball games. i associated these events with drinking in the past. i have made it through them much easier because i have more time under my belt.

and it has been amazing to attend these events and remember what happened the next day. with clarity. amazing.

very proud of you for what you are doing for yourself and your family. you won't regret it.

david.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

It does differ with each person, but my ventures out were non-alcohol festivities. I would go to the movies, the bookstore (huge fan of bookstores), friends' homes that didn't drink (I have more friends that don't drink then do), and ymca. There are so many more places to go that don't center around alcohol then do. I was pretty much a prisoner in my home every day from 4 pm until bedtime. I have so much freedom now that I don't drink and isolate. Good for you for reaching out Betterdad. You are doing great. Congratulations on staying sober! Happy 2010!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 08:51 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Congrats and Happy New Year BDad!

It's highly recommended that association with people, places and things that previously involved alcohol is avoided in the beginning. Ditto with all the replies that everyone is different as to how much "time" it takes before you'll be comfortable around alcohol without being tempted.

It's a new way of life. It didn't help me to compare it with the previous [drinking] way of life in the beginning. It's just new and different (and for me, in time, is soooo worth it).

It was very helpful for me to meet people [face-to-face] that were/are going through the same thing. I began with AA but there are alot of other support groups where you can meet sober people too (local, active groups, check around, there's quite a bit out there). Bring your wife - she's with you on this awesome journey.

What I did like about AA, too, is that there are SO many types of meetings, from newcomers all the way to the discreet professional.

Hoping you find all the tools and people you need to keep you on track. SR is a great part of it!

Peace ~
Old 01-06-2010, 04:20 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

One week down and still going strong. This week I went back to work. This was my main trigger to drink -after work to de-stress. Tough to not only change the physical habit, but the psychological habit of doing something for so long. I assume this changes into a new healthy habit over time.

How did you deal with the change of routine?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:37 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Congratulations! One week - way to go!

I found [still] that the mental obsession is always there, not just in the beginning. It does lessen but alcohol is always ready to pounce when we're the most vunerable - remember, it wants us dead.

It was very important for me to network with other sober people. I was literally saved from the brink of cravings/temptation by having other sober people I could call who could "talk me through it." It was an essential part of dealing with early sobriety and developed into tools that I still use today.

In my opinion, AA isn't for everyone, but finding other sober people that you can talk to face-to-face and/or over the phone will help immensely I think. I know your wife supports you and that's awesome. I needed someone who had more real experience with what I was going through and "how" to get through it.

Other than that, I drank lots of water/cold green tea - stayed away from too much caffeine/sugar. Kept myself busy reading, researching.

It's amazing when we realize how much alcohol was a part of our lives when it's no longer there.

In addition to AA, I had weekly sessions with a LADAC (who was also in recovery) who knew "exactly" what I was experiencing and offered sound advice that saved my life. I found him through a community organization - night sessions so didn't interfere with work.

Whatever it takes, it's worth it! All the best to you ~

Humble