Notices

Brand new. First post.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Susan, if I could reach back in time and do what you're doing, my life would have turned out completely different. My husband and I were weekend partiers too. We had a wonderful 12 yrs. traveling, clubbing - increasing our drinking along the way. What started as just drinking on days off became a daily necessity. Finally, he needed it to function - drank to stop the shakes before leaving for work.

Alcohol took us down, destroyed our happy marriage, sucked the life out of us. He never was able to break free of it. He died 2 yrs. ago. I was sober for 3 yrs. once but picked it back up and was off for 7 more years of hell - dui's, ruined relationships, health problems. You can stop this collision course you may be on.

We'll be looking forward to hearing how it's going for you. It's great that you've made the decision to have a healthier life.
I know it had to hurt to share that with me, but thank you so much.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I would do anything to help save a person from what I went through. It was so needless. I'm just happy you're reaching out for help.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I would do anything to help save a person from what I went through. It was so needless. I'm just happy you're reaching out for help.
Could I ask you, please, what did help you?
Old 12-21-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Susan, I spent many years thinking I could never give up the "fun & excitement" of drinking - so I tried instead to control it. It took huge amounts to even feel high after awhile - and in the end I was drinking straight vodka practically round the clock. At that point it never made me feel good, or even numb.

During the last few years of my drinking career I got 3 DUI's, lost the respect of my family, frightened & confused my co-workers, developed health issues. I'd been drinking for over 25 yrs. & it was taking it's toll! My last binge was Christmas of '07. I'd been drinking day & night for 3 wks. I was terrified to lie down at night, afraid I'd not wake up. I wasn't eating, just walking around like a zombie, sipping my drinks. At some point I told myself this was the end of the road - I couldn't go on like this for another day. I realized it was either try to sober up or I was going to drink myself to death. So I'd have to say what helped me was the fear of dying. I was not ready to leave this Earth before giving myself a chance to live life sober & clear-headed instead of in a fog. Hopefully you'll never reach that stage.

In desperation one night I googled "health problems of alcoholics" and the first thing to pop up was a post from SoberRecovery. Otherwise, I would never have known this whole wonderful world existed. I still drank for awhile after coming here, but when I read the stories of hope - I knew what I had to do. Not feeling alone anymore was so comforting. Everyone had been where I'd been and had made it out alive. I clung to that as I began my journey out of hell.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

At some point in my drinking, I went from a weekend warrior to a, I don't drink on Wed.
Do you and your husband have any healthy hobbies you two can do without drinking?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I was also a weekend drinker with my husband.. usually way too much. Forgotten conversations, all that. Course then I was a few days a week drinker, and ultimately hit the drinking in the morning to stop the shakes phase, a line I swore I would never cross.. yet somehow justified something that sick.

I'm happy you have support in quitting, but even if that falters know that YOU have the power to do this just for you.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

In desperation one night I googled "health problems of alcoholics" and the first thing to pop up was a post from SoberRecovery. Otherwise, I would never have known this whole wonderful world existed. I still drank for awhile after coming here, but when I read the stories of hope - I knew what I had to do. Not feeling alone anymore was so comforting. Everyone had been where I'd been and had made it out alive. I clung to that as I began my journey out of hell.
Well, I don't feel like I'm in hell, Hevyn, but I don't want to go there either and I don't want my husband to go there either. That's why I'm here, too.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
At some point in my drinking, I went from a weekend warrior to a, I don't drink on Wed.
Do you and your husband have any healthy hobbies you two can do without drinking?
At first I was going to say no, but we do like to read. When we go on our summer vacation we just love to walk the beach and look for shells and shark teeth and then sit together and read.

He also loves golf but only plays once a year when we meet some friends for a long weekend. He always talks about teaching me to play but it's so expensive and we have our autistic teen to deal with. My son would probably be okay in a golf cart with music and books. We'd save around $50 a week if we quit drinking. Yes, something to consider.

We take our son to theme parks but usually drink beer. I think that might be an easier habit to give up. The last time we went to a park we just didn't drink until we left and had a late lunch.

We quit smoking about twenty years ago and that was hell, but we slowly got used not smoking. I loved smoking and only quit because I was pregnant. Anyway, that's actually a long story but we're wondering if quiting drinking is about the same. It was tough for about a year or so but at some point we went from pretending to be non-smokers to actually being non-smokers.

Sorry so long, but I'm thinking the first few times we go to those theme parks (or restaurants) it will feel strange not drinking but then, after a while, it will feel normal. I hope? And, yes, we need more hobbies.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
I was also a weekend drinker with my husband.. usually way too much. Forgotten conversations, all that. Course then I was a few days a week drinker, and ultimately hit the drinking in the morning to stop the shakes phase, a line I swore I would never cross.. yet somehow justified something that sick.

I'm happy you have support in quitting, but even if that falters know that YOU have the power to do this just for you.
Congratulations on your new baby, Flutter. When my husband and I were dating and first married we used to drink way too much on the weekends but we quit with my first pregnancy. Then, life was all birthday parties and play dates.

Then last year my oldest went away to college . . . well, I have no desire to go back to the old days but we both feel the need to move on to something else.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:10 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Originally Posted by SusanE View Post

We take our son to theme parks but usually drink beer. I think that might be an easier habit to give up. The last time we went to a park we just didn't drink until we left and had a late lunch.
Just a comment on this. How old is your son? Not sure what the law is in your state but, IL. has gotten real strict on any drinking and driving with kids under 18.

I do everything I did while I drank sober now except, I won't go into bars.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Just a comment on this. How old is your son? Not sure what the law is in your state but, IL. has gotten real strict on any drinking and driving with kids under 18.

I do everything I did while I drank sober now except, I won't go into bars.
I tried to answer you earlier but had technical problems. He's over 18 and we have the same strict laws here. You can be charged with child abuse if you get a DUI with a child in the car.

I don't drink and drive and my husband knows his career would be over if he got a DUI. We do our real drinking at home. This morning he told me he is never going to get drunk again. He wasn't hungover or anything, he just seemed serious and firm.

So, if we went to an open meeting could we take my son?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Susan,

I just wanted to say Welcome to SR! It's a great resource for support and information and as you can tell, some really great people here!

Love,

Lenina
Old 12-22-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Susan,

I'm glad to see you posting.

I do relate to what you said about quitting smoking. When I first stopped drinking, I was working really hard on trying to be a non-drinker and somewhere along the line, my thinking shifted and I became a non-drinker. It was an invisible line that I crossed and I like being on this side.

Im not an AA person, but others will be along who can advise you about the meetings.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Yes Susan, at an open meeting anyone can attend.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks for the information and welcomes. This is a great site with great, really nice, people. I'm sorry I'm a little self-absorbed right now.