SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Irritability (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/190663-irritability.html)

Redfish 12-18-2009 06:45 AM

Irritability

I'm on day 5. I'm controlling my drinking and I feel I'm doing very well in that regards. I do still get major cravings, but as soon as they come on I intensely dive into a project whether it's work, pleasure, or gym.

The main problem I'm facing right now ir irritability and a short fuse. I've alwasy had somewhat of a temper and a scarcastic attitude, but not like this. It's causing a lot of problems with my wife right now because I seem to jump on her about the littlest thing. Last night it was over foil. So stupid. No question she is right and I'm being a total A-hole. I want to correct this and find ways to deal with it so I'm more pleasant for myself and her.

Any advice? Thanks and so appreciate SR and all the feedback I get. Please not I put it to use.

Astro 12-18-2009 07:21 AM

I can relate to the irritability very much. People, places, and things can all be triggers for my emotions, and usually I take it out on the people that I love the most and that I'm around most. Naturally, that would be my wife and children.

I tend to internalize, and that never works. I need outside help with my issues so that means AA, counseling, and recently I've found blessed relief at church in a men's recovery group. When I'm irritable about something I need to find out what the root of it is. For an example: Usually it's not about something like foil....it's about financial struggles I'm going through or a parenting issue I can't work out.

Day 5? Honestly I'd be focused on staying clean and sober, emotional sobriety is much more difficult and it'll take some time to learn how to use recovery tools to deal with being restless, irritable, and content. You're doing well with diving into a project, good idea. What helps me now is having a spiritual program, using prayer and meditation to find peace and serenity in the eye of the storm.

Redfish 12-18-2009 07:44 AM

Thanks Astro. I'm in a Men's Life group with my church that I go to every Tuesday night. It helps. I'm considering starting AA as the minister of my church I've been going to since I was in Preschool is in AA as well. Not to make excuses, but it's very hard for me to find the time. I'm considering.

I do have faith in God. It used to suprise me when I reached out to hime for guidence, but not anymore. Last night leaving the office in route home which is a 30 minute drive I usually drank 1/3 bottel of Jim Beam or a 6 pack. The cravings are terrible right now, but I open my sunroof and stick a arm through the roof and pray and ask for strength. I get it. Now I'm asking for strength in my temperment which I have not done before. I'm praying probably 5-7 times a day now. I love the power of prayer.

My God allows me to pray however I see fit. There is not right or wrong way. I just enjoy talking to him. He talks back plenty, only without a voice.

Thank you.

yeahgr8 12-18-2009 07:46 AM

Getting down to AA is a great idea:-)

jgull2010 12-18-2009 08:16 AM

I'm not surprised you are feeling irritability. You are liable to feel all kinds of things! Congratualations though on staying sober. You just need to remind yourself that you are going to feel anger, irritability, fear, anxiousness, and lots of other things. This is normal and it will pass.

When you feel something negative, *pause*, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you ARE sober and that is something to be proud of. Just go easy on yourself (and those around you!).

soberinwpg 12-18-2009 08:20 AM

For me, I don't say a word. Well I try. LOL. I get irritated quite a lot and I'm learning to say nothing. It drives people crazy until I tell them "I'm not ignoring you. I'm processing. I'll respond later"
Saved my butt once or twice. Hell, it saved my kids/co-workers/friend butts too.

Astro 12-18-2009 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Redfish (Post 2463382)
I'm in a Men's Life group with my church that I go to every Tuesday night. It helps. I'm considering starting AA as the minister of my church I've been going to since I was in Preschool is in AA as well. Not to make excuses, but it's very hard for me to find the time. I'm considering.

I do have faith in God. It used to suprise me when I reached out to hime for guidence, but not anymore. Last night leaving the office in route home which is a 30 minute drive I usually drank 1/3 bottel of Jim Beam or a 6 pack. The cravings are terrible right now, but I open my sunroof and stick a arm through the roof and pray and ask for strength. I get it. Now I'm asking for strength in my temperment which I have not done before. I'm praying probably 5-7 times a day now. I love the power of prayer.

My God allows me to pray however I see fit. There is not right or wrong way. I just enjoy talking to him. He talks back plenty, only without a voice.

Ya know, that's amazing faith and action for someone with 5 days of recovery. I wish I'd had that. Well done.