Notices

Education

Old 12-17-2009, 05:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Education

Recovery from alcoholism is like a new education. I have learned so much about different things about myself and my mind that before I came into recovery I hadn't even considered before.

It is, and will always be, an ongoing journey that never comes to an end but instead is worked upon on a daily basis for as long as I am on this Earth.

*I feel that regardless of which 'method/program' you use to work your recovery from alcoholism, many of the fundamental concepts will be very similar.*

Here are just a few things that I have learned/learning about since I have been in recovery from my Alcoholism.

GRATITUTE = I feel this is fundamental to lasting recovery from alcoholism. I know that when I am feeling grateful I am not vulnerable to getting the "stinking thinking" that can enable thoughts of drinking to crop up. This is a common theme of agreement at all of the AA meetings I attend.
I feel one's recovery programme is working if they are 'grateful' to be sober.

RESENTMENTS = These are something which so many people hold about many things and are an alcoholics worst enemy. Resentments drove many an alcoholic back to that first drink I'm sure.

ACCEPTANCE = Fundamental step1 to enabling an alcoholic to stand any chance of lasting sobriety. As I have learned more about recovery I have learned that acceptance goes far deeper than just accepting my own alclholism. I have to accept that people have the 'right to be wrong' and I have to accept this. I am not the centre of the universe!

PROJECTING = Since being in recovery from my alcoholism I have learned about projecting thinking. I have learned that this is something which is a characteristic trait of many of the alcoholics I meet at AA meetings. It has helped me so much to realise that I am not alone in this type of thinking and I have learned to control my thoughts so they are not 12 months into the future!!

ONE DAY AT A TIME = Very related to the above. This philosophy is absolutely crucial to recovery from alcoholism. I only have today anyway so I may as well just concentrate on today and not worry about Yesterday or Tomorrow. I can stay sober One Day At A Time but anything other is a promise i will not make as I cannot speak for tomorrow but only for today.

EMOTIONAL = It was obvious for me that my alclholism was physical from day one. I simply cannot stop once I take that first drink. I would never stop untill I was passed-out.
I have fundamentally learned that all of my problems lie solely in my mind however. I have many emotional traits which make me vulnerable to picking up that first drink but by working my programme and taking the wisdom and knowledge from many other sober alclholics who I meet each week then i can learn to manage my emotions and thus stay relatively safe from that first drink.

These are just a few of the things that I am so gratefull to have learned/learning about since I have been in recovery from my alcoholism. Recovery goes so much deeper than just the physical act of not picking a drink up. It gives you a whole new outlook on life and helps me to make a better job of living it 'One day at a time.'

peace and Love xxxx
Old 12-17-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What an amazing post. Thank you Neo....this is all so true.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

just jioned this site and all you have wrote is so so true
Old 12-17-2009, 05:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Neo, just wanted you to know that I've printed this out. I really like it!!!

fromtheuk...welcome to SR
Old 12-17-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

just from reading this site i am now going to aa tonight....phoned the aa help line over here and the girl on the phone even stated that she will be there...been through the program and many others before......cant believe im going again.....this website is fantastic.....any one from england ...try phoning nhs direct and hear the most riduclous respsonse you will ever hear.....
Old 12-17-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Neo if we still had a thank you button I would have hit it, that was an awesome post!
Old 12-17-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Excellent post!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Nice post, Neo! I can especially relate to the gratitude and one-day-at-a-time aspects. My new favorite saying is "it keeps getting better"
Old 12-17-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post, thanks man:-)
Old 12-17-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

*Clicked THANK YOU*
Old 12-17-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks Neo
Welcome to SR fromtheuk

D
Old 12-17-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

* two thumbs up * thank you!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Amen NEO!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your comments!!

Off to my local Friday night AA meeting now.

Peace and Love xxx