Notices

How Long?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Long?

What is it about alcohol after you quit that it always seems to be on your mind. Even thought I KNOW I'm not going to drink and I feel I have great self control and all the reasons not to do it, but it's just alway on my mind.

My best guess is that I'm in the new stages of recovery and it's just a matter of time before they start to go away. The more I feel better the more it's on my mind.

I'm at work right now and it won't go away. I have a truly hectic schedule and I pick my kids up in about 3 hours and full activitys this evening to keep me busy until bed so I'm not worried. My question is when does it go away?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good question. I remember in the beginning either I posted or someone else read my mind and posted about it being everywhere. You are reading a book and the reference to alcohol jumps out at you. You put the book down and turn on the tv and there is a commercial in your face about it. You turn off the tv and turn on the radio and lo and behold another reference to it.

I do know it does fade into the background eventually, but I don't remember exactly when. One exception for me is when I go out, which is about once a year, it does pop out at me again. Maybe because I'm such a home body and never are around drinkers unless its a mandatory Christmas party. LOL! Whole other thread.

Good job on the work you're doing and reaching out Redfish.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Strange, I was thinking today that a week or so ago it was getting so much easier. This week though it's like back to square one and I'm constantly thinking about it. Dangerously thinking about it. It's day 85 for me so as for today I'm still waiting.
Sorry I can't be more precise.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think anyone can give you a definite answer to that question.

I'm at the end of my second month and I do still think about it, but nothing like before. The first couple of weeks were the hardest and then its slowly gotten better. I'm sure the longer you are sober the easier it gets.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It has been my experience that that obsession never goes away until I find something to replace the alcohol/drugs with. For me it was a sense of spiritual connection that I developed through the 12 steps. Hope you find something that works for you.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks ya'll. I can't tell you the appreciation I have for everyone on SR. It helps so much to know that I'm not alone.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Redfish...before I quit drinking it was always on my mind!! LOL
It is perfectly normal to be thinking about it...It took a couple of months for me to finally feel free from the habit of it all. Everyone is different. Hang tough...you will surprise yourself with how strong you really can be.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Horselover, I remember that, I was just thinkin' about that thread the other day... I remember being so fed up about it being everywhere so I opened a book about fly fishing thinking that would be safe.... and the book mentions keeping the cooler stocked and in the shade...

It goes away... and... it doesn't bother you as much.... like the billboards... yea the frosted glass... thick head of foam.... yea would be nice... but I don't do that any more... big deal....

So it hasn't gone away completely for me, I am 15 months sober yesterday.... but it doesn't get to me, really, anymore... my wife has her white wine spritzer when we watch Conan... I have sleepy time tea... ho hum....

or should I say Ho Ho Ho It gets better... but work a program of recovery, that helps.

Mark
Old 12-16-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I've been thinking a lot about the free agents out there for the cardinals to sign. If, I was in Houston I'd be rooting for another team

Seriously though,

make a list of things you need to do. What have you put off around the house that, needs done. have you any hobbies. Drinking was nothing but an anchor that dragged me down from doing a lot of things more fun in life