Notices

Round 2

Old 12-14-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Round 2

I recently quick drinking on Nov 27. It was horrible, but I managed. My Dad is in the hospital (has been for 15 weeks) and will never leave. This weekend was just too much for me to handle with Dad and I broke down. After 2 bottles of Jim Beam Fri-Sunday and a bottle of wine with dinner last night, I'm at it again. I can't tell you how disappointed I am in myself and not to mention I let my wife down.

Going through withdrawals again and they are very similar to what I went through before. I figured if I did it once I can do it again. My question is dealing with the loss of appetite. Any ideas? I can't seem to eat at all. Also my gastrointestinal system is all screwed up. I don't see how with little food in me. Any thoughts or is this unrelated? I'm not looking for medical advise, but similar experiences that may be able to assist.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I suggest seeing your doctor for help in getting thru your detox. Medical help can mean an easier detox, also safer. I really think you should see your doctor. Other than that, I was never able to eat much when going thru withdrawal. Some chicken soup or vegetable soup might be easy on your stomach. Drink lots of water and juice and take vitamins, especially B vits. Chamomile tea can help relieve anxiety.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

when i was at my worst..my brother gave me advise that I believe may have saved my life.....drink ensure.

The body needs certain nutrients to survive and that is one way to keep our body as healthy as we can.

I'm sorry to hear you drank again, but others have made it back from drinking and you can too..

keep posting
Old 12-14-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Redfish

I'm sorry for your pain. I understand the compulsion to drink when sorrow overwhelms us, but ultimately it falls short of being a real solution - it just puts us deeper and deeper in the mire.

This thread has some suggestions on what our members have done in early detox/withdrawal regarding nourishment, but please do think about leasts advice and see your Dr. as well

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 12-14-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had very little appetite in the last year that I was drinking. It was really pretty scary and I was so denial about it. I lost a good 10 pounds, and I'm very small to begin with. Luckily for me, when I stopped drinking, I quickly regained my appetite and the weight. Just stay focused on your recovery, take some good vitamins and eat as well as you can.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Redfish, I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. I don't know what to tell you about the appetite, but what about this. Do you have a plan on stopping your drinking? Have you attended any AA meetings? Do you have a sponsor? Have you admitted to yourself and to your higher being that you are an alcoholic? There is help for you out there, but you have to make the first step.

I quit not too far before you did (Nov 25th) and have embraced ALL of AA. I had the hardest time saying for the first time that I am an alcoholic in front of a group of people but I did it. And you know what, after I did that, I felt the weight of the world lifted from my shoulders.

If you haven't gone to an AA meeting, why? The people there are just like you. They understand you, know what it is like having to turn to the bottle. They know what it is like to disappoint yourself and others. They all have walked in those shoes and will help you.

My prayers are with you that your burdens will be lightened.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sorry to know of your Dads situation....

I could not eat anything except Jello and Bullion
during my de tox period which lasted 3 days.

I don't think loseing your appetite is unusual early on

but if this gastrointestinal system was happening to me
I'd certainly have an honest talk with my doctor.
Have you been checking for blood? Notice a stench?
Even if you have not...at least call your doctor please.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

I'm no doctor, but somewhat experienced at withdrawals... (rather be a doctor, to be honest).

Try either seafood, or salad-type food. I find it's easier to deal with in those days.

TB.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

In regards to the not eating I will fall in with Ananda in regards tp the Ensure. One of my daughters is a recovering anorexic and when she was in treatment the one thing they made them eat if they refused thier food was Ensure.

I assume you are still detoxing, I would urge you to see a doctor ASAP, normally every detox is worse then the last, in the mean time get some ensure, eat what you can, drink tons of stuff like gatorade and take a multivitamin and a B-Complex as well.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. This is my only second time to dtox in 20+ years. As mentioned the frist one was November 27 and it was horrible. I'm on day 2 and to be honest I feel pretty good. I'm quite shocked at how good I feel. I slept through most of the night with the help of a sleepin aid and woke up at 4:30 with bad stomach cramps, but that was it.

I know the day has just started and day 3 is a different stroy, but I'm doing pretty well considering.

Oh yah, I ate a baked potato and piece of chicken last night and a power bar this morning. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good to hear you are eating redfish. SO what are you doing extra to stay sober this time?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think it is just easier this time. The withdrawals aren't nearly as bad, except the early a.m. stomach cramps. The cravings haven't started yet, but they're coming. My goal is to do the following:

1. continue to visit SR

2. Spend more time tying fly patterns (fly fishing lures)

3. Spend more time with my 9 year old twins as I'm just a part time Dad.

4. Get in the Gym everyday. I totall miss lifting weights.

5. Continue my Mens Life affiliated with my church.

Basically take one day at a time. Like I said I feel pretty damn good right now. I have huge support from my wife. She's by biggest fan.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Why not also start going to some AA meetings? This board is great, but siting face to face with others is hard to beat at times.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

AA seems to be a HUGE theme on this board. I honestly don't know if I'm ready for AA or feel it is for me. I'm trying to evaluate how bad my problem is before I commit to anything. I seem to be feeling really well and I have a tremendous amount of support. thanks.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I seem to be feeling really well and I have a tremendous amount of support.
OK. So how were you feeling before your last relapse?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Redfish...so glad you are here and feeling well. The fact is people quit only when they are ready...not a second before. While group support is helpful it is not always the better way to go. Yes aa is huge here but once you poke around a bit you will see many people do not opt for aa. If you are inclined to be religious than you may want to check it out. Keep us posted!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Believe it or not I felt fine. I wasn't craving it. I was in an environment where I said I can handle this and not drink so much. I really just had myself convinced I could drink socially. I didn't do that. I drank it up and then the emotions got the best of me over the weekend because of my ill father and then Mr. Jim Beam showed his ugly face.

I now realize that my addictive personality is not condusive to ANY alcohol. It's been 1 day and 16 hours and I feel really well.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Believe it or not I felt fine.
Exactly my point, Redfish. And now you're felling really well. Hmmm.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Keith, I just figured out what you were trying to say. Thank you. If I'm understanding you correctly when you are feeling well the cravings kick in and that's when it happens. Correct?

I'm not pretending I have all the answers and now that I know I can stop I may go through some trial and error? I don't know. It may stick. I think I can only take one day at a time.

They crazy thing is since I've been writing this and looking at the clock on my computer from work it's 5:15 p.m., craving just kicked in. I'm eating some pieces of chocalate and that seems to help. I think the real test will be tonight. I'm going straight home. I've opted not to go to the Rocket's tonight and I'm going to hang out with my step daughter who is in from school and go to bed early and have another productive work day tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I found for me I could stop but I just couldn't stay stopped. what's gonna stop you from picking up again once the memories of your last drunk have faded and your feeling 'fine' again? That's what used to happen to me because I was exactly the same in my thinking so i was bound to pick up again eventually as that's what I had always done so it was inevitable.

I found that I had to embrace a recovery program and it's philosophies/priniples/steps. I chose AA as it's free and it works for even the most hopeless cases providing they are willing to do what it takes to get sober and put the 'work' in that is required.

I personally am not at all religious and don't consider AA a religious program and certainly once I opened my mind sufficiently to take what i want and leave the rest behind then I didn't find it a problem. I have an open mind and am not really fussed as to what my higher-power may or may not be but I have faith in the many sober alclholics in AA who I see at the meetings I go to. I also embrace SR and the wisdom that was typed to me by the many members on SR.

I am sure there are many different pathways to get and crucially remain sober but they all share one thing in common which is all of them require 'work' to put in and fundamental changes in the way that you live/think about life.