Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Hello, I'm new here and plan on hanging out for quite some time.

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Newb

Hello!

I'm a drunk with an entirely unoriginal story. I got some stress! I got life reasons! But in reality, I'm just a dork with problems and really bad ways of dealing with them.

That ended yesterday. I'm standing up and figuring it out. I'm not in meetings (the schedule is pretty light where I live), so I'm finding support everywhere I can. This board is part of it. I plan on reading, writing, and making this recovery a part of me inside and out. I haven't told my wife or my family. Afraid to disappoint-- I'm sure I'm not the only one who has felt that.

I'm 28. The best years of my life are ahead of me, and I want to not be wincing through them.

If I sound strong in this message, it's a facade. I'm terrified I'll start drinking again. I used to wonder if I could control it. Now I know I can't. And that's scary. Today is day 2. Almost 48 hours.

Love and thanks for the venue,
New.

PS-- my tomorrow night is free and I'm taking suggestions for non-alcohol related activities to engage in... anyone seen any good movies lately?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

1 day at a time. that is how i work it.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi New Posture

Good to have you with us - I think support is vital in dealing with this.

First steps?

I don't know how long you've been drinking for, or how much but seeing a Dr is usually a good step.

Apart from that, read around, post as much as you like here - find an approach you like... and then work it to the hilt.

...and don't drink - for anything.

If you find you have difficulty doing that, then it may be time to regroup and up the support ante, and try a recovery programme.

In the meantime though, here's some nifty ideas on activities
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

Welcome!
D
Old 12-04-2009, 11:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Newb

One day at a time sounds good.

Thanks for the list, Dee-- lots of good ideas on there. I'm planning on seeing a Doc maybe tomorrow or Monday, depending on hours, for what it's worth. Been drinking solidly for almost 10 years. Last 2-3 years I've been drinking about half a fifth, or the wine/beer equivalent of, a day. Last year or so it's been over that. In any case: thanks for the Doc suggestion.

I'm concerned with finding practical ways to redirect my attention, or refocus on to what is important and not pure impulse. I'm going to focus primarily on that.

... and ruthlessly use this place to refocus and redirect my attention.

best,
New.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community....

Glad to know you are seeking a sober ..healthy...productive future.

Please do keep in touch here...many of us are winning over alcohol
Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome to SR.

There truly is a lot of support here for those seeking to live a sober life. Hope to see you around.

Take care,
TB
Old 12-04-2009, 11:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR... It is great that you are recognizing the problem at such a young age. You're right you do have the best years ahead on you. All you have to do is not drink today. You can do it...
Old 12-05-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR and congrats on your decision to live a sober life. It takes effort to stay sober but it's so worth the effort.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Welcome to SR - do you play PS3/Xbox online?? Man those games pass hours (Loving these new starry dudes lol)
Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mergirl

My first month or two of recovery I spent most of my time reading books on addiction, recovery, spirituality and recovery related themes. After the initial "crisis" people passed, I found I was interested in life again. I spent my spare time visiting people I loved, reconnecting with people who had drifted off and made new friends, many of which were in recovery as well.

I was pretty much glued here to SR in the beginning to. SR has an active chat room for both recovery talk and bs, online meetings and an arcade section for when I'm all talked out.

Congratulations on your decision. I am 43, drank/drugged for 28 years, and am sober 11 months, and I love this new world I have found=)

Welcome
Old 12-05-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. There is lots to do in soberiety/recovery. all the money we spent using/drinking can be spent on fun stuff. I have a 'toy' box. Rubiks cube, boggle, sorry, monoply....yep. Tons of gamers in recovery. Lots of us around. And we love movies!

Go for comedy. Old SNL episodes are fun. I like anything with John Candy. I will go for a Wil Smith movie even his serious stuff like Ali. Be good to yourself and ask lots of questions! Glad you are here!!!!!!!!!1
Old 12-05-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Newb

Hah! Games, movies, old comedy... I could get used to recovery, actually.

I need to get a PS3 or an Xbox, I think. I've been having trouble justifying the cost, which is silly when compared to how much money I've spent on booze. After a week or so I'll have enough money to buy one, and a monitor to play it on, just from not buying alcohol.

Crap. Better make this a good day 3 if I want that to happen. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Acceptance is where it starts. Being scared is good. Then it will give you a reason to stay the course.
Glad you are here. By the way..I am a huge dork too. LOL
Old 12-05-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Go ahead, NewPosture, use us - that's why we're here. This diverse community of amazing people helped set me straight and keep me that way after more than 25 yrs. of heavy drinking.

It's great you've learned young that you were on a collision course. At 28 I still had so much destruction and chaos ahead of me. Thankfully, you can avoid all that and live the life you were meant to. Be happy!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, new!