SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Debating AA Tonight (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/189866-debating-aa-tonight.html)

GottaGive 12-04-2009 03:15 PM

Debating AA Tonight

I'm only 4 days sober, never been to AA, but was advised by my doctor to go tonight. Weekends are going to be hard for me but I'm nervous to go. I have a little bit of social anxiety in unfamiliar situations. Normally I would have some drinks before entering that kind of situation but obviously I can't do that. Anyone have any advice on going, what it's like, what to expect....

Anna 12-04-2009 03:17 PM

Hi and Welcome,

I am not an AA person, but there will be people along who can give you more information.

I am glad you're seeking support.

Astro 12-04-2009 03:19 PM

I've never been to a meeting where I felt unwelcomed, but I understand how hard it is to overcome the fear of going at first. Here's an idea of what to expect http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-about-aa.html

least 12-04-2009 03:57 PM

Go with an open mind and see if they 'have what you want'. Listen to what they say and how they say it. Lots of good ideas in AA. Give it a good try, go to several meetings until you find the one or ones you like.

Welcome to SR!

gmj41 12-04-2009 04:05 PM

aa meeting

i went to my first meeting last night-i am neither religious nor outgoing.it turned out to be agreat experience.sitting in a group of total strangers yet being connected by common experience was liberating.it was totally ok to just sit and listen.i'd highly reccomend that you try it-i'm going again tonight.i'm also sober 4 days and felt much stronger after the meeting.
good luck! gmj41

DoneIn 12-04-2009 04:10 PM

I've never walked out of an AA meeting feeling worse than when I walked in. Go check it out! In the beginning of the meeting, there will be readings that will help you to understand what AA meetings are all about and you'll most likely hear something said by someone that you can relate to. I attended my first AA meeting 26 years ago. Some days I still feel nervous walking in, especially if I am late, but AAers have a way of putting newcomers at ease. Let us know how the meeting went!

Gypsy Feet 12-04-2009 04:24 PM

good for you!! I think a willingness to go to ANY LENGTHS for sobriety is a wonderful start. AA is not nearly as scary as it seems=)

sfgirl 12-04-2009 04:26 PM

I'm not an AA person but I enjoy meetings depending. A good thing to know is each meeting can be VERY different. Some I dig; some I hate. Some people seem to fit in right away. Others have more of a struggle finding their place. If you don't like your first meeting there is no harm in shopping around. I was scared to go to my first meeting. In this thread I outlined exactly what happens in terms of the structure so you will know what to expect:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...a-meeting.html

Ainslie 12-04-2009 04:45 PM

Hey there,

I havent been to an AA meeting yet either, despite being instructed to by a doctor. I get social anxiety too. Im thinking about it though (a year and 6 weeks on lol)

I hope you find the courage to go and post back how it went :)

barb dwyer 12-04-2009 04:53 PM

expect the strongest coffee you've ever tasted.

screw expresso- we're in AA!

Let everything else - reveal itself.

You're at the place where the worst thing
becomes the best thing.
Please go.
Let it happen for you!

TGFS 12-04-2009 04:55 PM

Go to several different places. That's how I found the one I liked. I am at day 20 and am with a great, funny crazy group of drunks keeping me sane and sober.

Good Luck!

NewMe11109 12-04-2009 05:08 PM

AA is actually pretty fun once you've been in it a while. The people are nice and you can really be yourself. You do need to try a few different meetings before you find the right one, but you will.

AA is a very important part of my recovery program (as is SR).

Remember - all of us felt just as you do at our first meeting.

laurie6781 12-04-2009 05:31 PM

expect the strongest coffee you've ever tasted.
ROFLMAO

Boy ain't that the truth!!!!!!

Go and listen for the similarities not the differences, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Love and hugs,

GottaGive 12-04-2009 07:02 PM

So I went. I was so freaked out and the water works turned on the minute I got out of the car! That was embarassing for me. I kept crying through the meeting! Is that normal? I was just overwhelmed that I was to the point of admitting I have a problem! People were cool and welcoming. In fact I went to get something to eat with 2 women afterwards. I'm going to go again tomorrow. I'm embarassed for crying so much but oh well.

Ainslie 12-04-2009 07:21 PM

Hey thats cool that you went! Im sure theyve seen lots of people cry before, and far more dramatic displays of emotion ;)

Goat 12-04-2009 07:36 PM

I have cried in meetings, and I'm a big scary biker dude who plays guitar in a metal band. I get very touched by the honesty, and especially by the brotherhood.

I'm not embarrassed about it, and you needn't be either.

This <i>IS</i> a very emotional thing we're doing, and meetings can be very cathartic.

-Goat

CarolD 12-04-2009 09:56 PM

GottaGive.....Mega :hug:

That was really brave of you and then to go to dinner...
Wow!

Crying in early sobriety is normal...at my AA group
we keep a box of tissues on each table.
Please know we do understand.

Good to see you again....:yup:

CarolD 12-04-2009 10:03 PM

gmj41...:wavey:
Thanks for sharing your experience with us
Well done on your new sobriety

Welcome to our recovery community...:Xmasostar

thirtybubba 12-04-2009 10:35 PM

Hi again GottaGive... :wavey:

Glad you went, glad you're going back too. Don't know if crying all through is normal... but the people at meetings are usually fairly understanding about what it's like to be overemotional... or anything else actually.

GMJ, hi again too. :wavey:

Take care everybody,
TB

SomeCallMeTim 12-05-2009 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by GottaGive (Post 2452177)
So I went. I was so freaked out and the water works turned on the minute I got out of the car! That was embarassing for me. I kept crying through the meeting! Is that normal? I was just overwhelmed that I was to the point of admitting I have a problem! People were cool and welcoming. In fact I went to get something to eat with 2 women afterwards. I'm going to go again tomorrow. I'm embarassed for crying so much but oh well.

GOOD for you!!! Humbling yourself and asking for help is a major step. Things will level off in time. You're gonna start to feeling things and deal with things you've been denying for a long time. I was a crying mess the 1st couple months. Listen to what others that have been through it tell you. Don't ask why, just listen to their suggestions. :praying