Notices

My Experience With Crutches

Old 12-04-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

My Experience With Crutches

Yesterday evening after sharing with a dear friend of mine who lives several floors below me, about the shape I was in, pain wise, after a very physical day, she came to my door, minutes later with a glass of ******* Cream Sherry...

Now I have never been much of a drinker, don't like the way my muscles feel after...I like a glass of wine or an appertif, thats about it..but I have always enjoyed a glass of sherry...

Anyway, I sipped it and eventually it was gone...and I was painfree..and I thought I could really get used to this...

And then I realized I REALLY could, my voice within was warning me that I could...

My doc was weed...I now have 6 years(July) My addiction began as a solution to my chronic pain condition...

I had never been addicted to ANYTHING before but because my brain chemistry could not tolerate weed, I became addicted...

Something I came to understand for me was that I had opened the door to a fantasyworld where I and my crutch of choice could live happily ever after..NOT....lol...

I can drink a glass of wine, no biggie...but I know after that one glass of sherry that it had the potential to become my new best crutch/addiction...I get that now something I did not understand 6 years ago and I am glad I can recognize that path and not take it...

I understand now that I have lived with addiction, there is a small part of me, that if the right crutch crosses my path, there is always the risk that I can fall back into addictive behaviors....and that is humbling and that is okay
Old 12-04-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's smart thinking.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Time and growth are two of our best friends Grateful. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for your post G2B

Yeah, I hear you. For any of us, it would be so easy to slot something else in as our new Drug Of Choice...but it's especially true for those of us with pain....

I know for me, there's lots of drugs I've never tried....

But I know myself a lot better now, and I'm grateful for that - I can make informed choices now with a clear perspective - for someone who really was akin to an idiot for a lot of years - that's a gift

D
Old 12-04-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Yeah, I hear you. For any of us, it would be so easy to slot something else in as our new Drug Of Choice...but it's especially true for those of us with pain....
exactly...and part of the reason I wanted to share this.

I feel like a sitting duck sometimes because my pain on a daily basis...ain't so much fun....and then there are days when I barely function, but I know you will understand this, Dee...the rest of the time it really is a blessing...sounds cliche but its really true...

but I don't ,want to or think of, using, so I was surprised when I had this experience with the sherry... A sober reminder..
Old 12-04-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Grateful, it's so good that you are aware of the vulnerability addiction causes, particularly when you are dealing with chronic pain. Chronic pain can be so tiring, and I think you are so wise to be aware and cautious.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't trade my life for quids (money), G.

D