Notices

Food

Old 12-04-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Food

Hi everyone. I am on day 25 I think, and with the grace of God and AA my recovery is going well. One day at a time. Life is slowly getting so much better. For that I am truly grateful.

My questions is, what is the overall consensus in regards to food with alcohol in it. Like: beer/cheese soup, beer battered french fries, food cooked with wine, etc. The alcohol is cooked out of it, and it doesn't taste like alcohol, so should we avoid it anyways? I know that NA beer and Nyquil, etc. are in general a "no-go" for most people. But wondering about foods. I am just looking for some opinions from people who have been there and what they think.

I hope I have posted this in the correct forum. Thanks everyone.

Keep coming back, it works!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey bdiddy. I've wondered about this myself and I haven't reached a conclusion yet.

My friend, whom I share an apartment with, had some guests over who didn't know about my problem. One of them started to cook dinner and put some wine it it. Not much, I'd say 2-3 glasses. I was early in recovery and was worried. So I told him about my alcoholism and he was understanding.
We came to the conclusion that the alcohol had been cooked out of the food, and so I ate. I don't know if it was my mind an psych playing tricks on me, but I did feel a little beside myself and I did get a little stomachache. I asked my friend if she had got it and she din't feel anything.
I'm thinking that my stomach could recognise the wine and revolted. Or maybe it was my mind. I really don't know.

Interesting topic. There's another (old) thread about it further down with some good and insightful replies.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, the other thread is in the "Alcoholism" forum
Old 12-04-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I stay away from food cooked with beer, wine, etc.

I will use a tsp. of vanilla or almond extract for baking. That being said...if I started chugging bottles of extract I'd have to change my date. It's not a problem b/c I follow the recipe.

It's up to the individual, I suppose.

You'll get a lot of opinions on this one.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
This topic gets kicked around pretty often, I was pretty surprised to find out that it takes a looooooong time for alcohol to cook off of food.

CarolD usually posts something good about this, maybe she'll see this and share.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I haven't had it since I have gotten sober, but I wouldn't turn down spaghetti sauce that was cooked with red wine. I would not cook with alcohol because I don't keep it in the house. I wouldn't eat something that is drenched in alcohol. I guess if it spurs the cravings in you then its a bad choice and if you start thinking about the alcohol in the food obsessively then its not worth it. That's my take though. Individual choice probably.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

what is the overall consensus in regards to food with alcohol in it.
I stay away from it.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I;m now a non drinker...who does not choose to eat alcohol

If I did...I would change my sobriety date...

Here is the info Astro referred to
Cooking and Alcohol

The conventional wisdom accepted by just about everyone in the food world is that all the alcohol you add to a dish evaporates or dissipates during cooking. It’s wrong. In fact, you have to cook something for a good three hours to eradicate virtually all traces of alcohol. And some cooking methods are less effective at removing alcohol than just letting it stand out uncovered overnight.

A study conducted by the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods. The results are as follows:

Preparation Method Percent of Alcohol Retained

alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:
15 minutes 40%
30 minutes 35%
1 hour 25%
1.5 hours 20%
2 hours 10%
2.5 hours 5%

And you can try these..
Booze Flavoring In Cooking
This was the September 2003 issue of theAA Grapevine.

Sweet or semisweet red wine - Carbonated cranberry drink.

Dry red wine - ½ cup carbonated cranberry drink, plus 1 Tbsp. lemon juice.

Sweet white wine - White grape juice plus 1 Tbsp. corn syrup.

Brandy - 1/4 cup apple juice plus 1 tsp brandy flavoring, or 1/4 cup apple cider with 1 tbsp peach or apricot syrup.

Rum - 1/4 cup apple juice plus 1 tbsp rum extract, or 1/4 cup pineapple juice or syrup flavored with 1 tbsp almond extract.

Sherry - Orange or pineapple juices with peach sirup.

Amaretto - 1 tbsp light corn syrup plus 1 tbsp almond extract and 1/4 cup clear apple juice.

Kirsch - Syrup or juices from cherries, raspberries, boysenberries, currnats or cider.