Notices

newly sober and going thru PAWS

Old 12-04-2009, 02:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newly sober and going thru PAWS

Hi Everyone,

I am new to being sober (9/14/2009). I just finished IOP last Friday. Yippy Skippy. I was a (worse) mess the first few weeks with short term memory and fogginess. That started to go away after about a month but it's back. I woke up the other day for work and discovered as I was brushing my hair that I had neglected to rinse the conditioner out of my rat's nest the night before. Also, I have been having a hard time sleeping. I seem to come alive in the middle of night. Basically I don't know whether to s*** or wind my wristwatch these days. Can anyone tell me if any of this is normal? and if so, when will I be able to stop leaving sticky notes to remind myself what my name is?
Old 12-04-2009, 03:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, tazzy. Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by tazzy914 View Post
Basically I don't know whether to s*** or wind my wristwatch these days. Can anyone tell me if any of this is normal? and if so, when will I be able to stop leaving sticky notes to remind myself what my name is?

In all seriousness...if things are bad please don't hesitate to talk to a doctor.

I had brain fog for a while and I still get bouts of insomnia. It took at least 3-4 months for my bowel movements to be normal (still have some problems every now and again....but not like before).
Old 12-04-2009, 03:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome tazzy

I think it's always good to see a Dr. - even tho I recognise a lot of the issues you mention - it's always best to be safe - it may be PAWS, it may not be...none of us are doctors here.

I presume you know a little already but just in case, this is a fairly useful link about PAWS

Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) Digital Dharma

keep us updated Tazzy
D
Old 12-04-2009, 04:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for the replies. I have a psychiatrist that follows me. I saw her two days ago, so this is just garden variety Post Acute Withdrawal I guess. I was also in Outpatient treatment for a total of 40- 3 hour sessions, that ended last Friday. It's funny because when I was getting sloshed I used to think if only I could sober up for 30 or 60 days... boy wouldn't I feel great! I definitely like not being hungover or turning my liver a yet to be known shade of green, but I can't say that I feel good yet. I'm sort of "existing" as a person who doesn't drink. I want to be a person "living" a sober life...
Old 12-04-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Things have been improving for me...the first few months are the hardest. I just hit 8 months and I'm doing alright. Hang in there...it's hard to believe that things can get better. Oh yeah...and I couldn't do it without help from my therapist and doctor.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

tazzy wrote
when I was getting sloshed I used to think if only I could sober up for 30 or 60 days... boy wouldn't I feel great!
PAWS is the Infinite's way of lettng us know we didn't become alcoholics in a week or even a month =- and it's gonig to take an equivlent time & effort to heal.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Suggestions Please???

How to be happy and motivated off drugs???? I am glad I am not takiing any more drugs and glad those days are over but now I feel like the same person only WITHOUT DRUGS to make me feel better.....

Last edited by polkadot; 12-04-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: More info included
Old 12-04-2009, 10:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR.....

While green is good enviromentally ...your correct
it's not healthy for your liver. Good to know
your planning on keeping yours pink.

Glad you decided to join us...
Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

feel like crap and its going on 50 days.....

exactly! i totally relate. i thought if i could quit tramadol after a while i would feel great or better. nope i feel lathargic and weak. food is not my friend.. i am not good in my skin..... i hate that... scares me...

Last edited by polkadot; 12-07-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: replied to wrong post i think
Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel. I am 7 months sober and I was going through the exact same thing. I felt like an idiot..for example, I couldn't even spell and I was always a good speller. I felt like I had no attention span or sense of direction anymore it scared me. I'll give you some advise my Dr gave me, take Multi-vitamins, B-complex and ESPECIALLY B-1 everyday. I kid you not, I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER, mentally that is.
Also, try Melatonin 3 or 5mg nightly, it really helps with the insomnia.
Let me know if this helps. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One of my sponsors told me in my first week of my sobriety that it takes time. He talked about the time he flew to a business meeting about 6 months in to sobriety. When he got back and his flight landed, he couldn't remember where he parked his car or how he even GOT to the airport. Not that he was drinking, but he just still had brain fog! He had an airport employee drive him around the whole parking garage of the airport looking for his car! His doctor told him to go easy on himself, and things will get better.