SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Blackout (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/189794-blackout.html)

tallcactus 12-03-2009 02:34 PM

Blackout

Just got back from an AA meeting a few hours ago.
A woman friend of mine had relapsed and shared about her binge.
She says she only remembers pieces of the night.
Had a verbal fight with her BF and left the house.
Woke up in a motel/hotel, naked, without clothes or shoes and no purse. Stated she didn't even know where she was at, had to call the desk.
On closer examination, had notice bruises on her body and stated she must of been raped/or had sex,
She also stated, that the room was trashed, with beer bottles and liquior bottles everywhere. Also a full ashtray and she doesn't smoke.
Had to call a friend to bring clothes. What a horror story.
I'm so glad I'm sober today.

Aysha 12-03-2009 02:36 PM

Wow. Thats really scary.

ViciousCycle 12-03-2009 02:45 PM

Wow, how horrible. My heart goes out to her....... gosh she could have been killed.

CAPTAINZING2000 12-03-2009 02:48 PM

I can so relate

had it not been for black outs, I'd still drink. My drinking would on many occasion be like a Holly Wood movie with a real bad ending. I could never promise what would happen after I started drinking.

Ainslie 12-03-2009 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 (Post 2451027)
I can so realte

had it not been for black outs, I'd still drink. My drinking would on many occasion be like a Holly Wood movie with a real bad ending. I could never promise what would happen after I started drinking.

Me too! It got to the stage where id say 5/7 nights a week I wouldnt remember coming home, often id wake with bruises and wonder where I got them - if I had been in a fight or merely fallen over.

One time I woke up with a hospital wristband on and had no idea how id gotten there....I still dont know the full story, but id been knocked out/passed out outside my house and some good samaritan called the paramedics. I "came to" and I was already home with this hospital wristband around my wrist! I could barely recall being at the hospital, but they must have been so full that they had to let me out early.

Its amazing the things you can do while blacked out and seriously not remember! The anxiety from that drove my sobriety in the end.

Astro 12-03-2009 03:09 PM

But for the grace of God, there go I. So grateful those incidents are a thing of the past, rather than a common occurance.

Anna 12-03-2009 03:48 PM

Yes, I also had blackouts and that was the most scary thing.

I hope you friend is alright and that this is the time for her to change her life.

FanofJoeMcQ 12-03-2009 03:53 PM

Wow. Prayers for her. I still have blank spots in my memory. Complete 'lost weekends'...I woke up once in a different state. Have no idea who I talked to, what I did....to this day its a mystery. Thankful for the lessons learned when hearing about a relapse. Sad but thankful.

Jester1025 12-03-2009 04:55 PM

What a horrible experience. I sincerely hope that your friend is ok.

marty888 12-03-2009 05:33 PM

it makes me cringe remembering those mornings waking up not knowing where I was or who I was with

CarolD 12-03-2009 06:29 PM

As awful as her story was....she's fortunate to be
alive to share it.
I'm really glad you can be a supportive friend to her.
:hug:

coffeenut 12-03-2009 07:55 PM

Thank you for sharing this. Just another reason to breathe deep and be grateful for sobriety.

I'm very sorry for your friend....very sorry. My heart goes out to her.

barb dwyer 12-03-2009 08:01 PM

I can relate as well, cap'n.

I'd get up
get ready for another day at work
after a night of closing the bar
go outside
and my car would't be there.

I'd have to call all over town
to find my car.

I was known to throw my keys at the bartender
(not aggressively, but more in a basketball kind of thing)
as soon as I blacked out.

I wouldn't even remember doing that much.
Most bartenders told me
they'd only have to ask me for my keys
that I was very jolly and happy to hand 'em over.

How terrifying for this woman.

Big wake up call.

CAPTAINZING2000 12-03-2009 08:15 PM

There was a movie called Weekend at Bernies some years back. I can recall a New years Eve some years back. I was at cousin's house and pretty soon, I was already 3 sheets to the wind. My cousins told me later, they'd load me up in the car and we'd go from different house to another. It reminded me so much of the movie loading a stiff from place to place.

Just grateful to be alive and not killed my self or anyone else during this bad time in my life

barb dwyer 12-03-2009 08:18 PM

I agree.

I remember that terror.