SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Smart or Not so Smart? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/189644-smart-not-so-smart.html)

nogard 12-01-2009 03:16 PM

Smart or Not so Smart?

I have a little work but not enough at present, so have been looking around for contract work. A couple of days ago I was offeered a long term cotract by a Major Cigarette manufacturer and this morning I turned it down on principle and told them why I had turned it dowm.

I needed the money so my head is telling me that was stupid as has one of my friends, he said; "... business is business..." well maybe I am not very good at business and I could not in good faith work for them having coughed on their cancer sticks for so many years and having seen what their product does to individuals, families and whole communities and that is roughly what I told them

I had to write this down. No need to reply.

Thanks Kevin

CarolD 12-01-2009 03:29 PM

I'm going to reply anyway Kev....:)

I took a job ....not knowing that I would have to lie
in order to be successful ..:duh:

Withing 10 working days....by sharing at my AA meetings
I had several other job offers and I accepted the
most interesting. It required learning new skills and
the pay was less.....

but...like you...I knew it was the right thing to do.

nogard 12-01-2009 03:52 PM

Thanks (((((((Carol)))))) that means a lot to me.

Anna 12-01-2009 03:54 PM

Kev,

Honesty is a big part of recovery. For me, I have to reconcile what I do in all parts of my life with my recovery. You know that something else will come along that works for you.

nogard 12-01-2009 03:57 PM

Yep honesty may not always be palatable or easy but it needs to be in all areas of this drug addicts life

Aysha 12-01-2009 04:00 PM

I want to respond too. I dont think I could feel good about myself if I didnt agree with their product or pratices.
I think you did a noble thing. Hang in there. There will something better soon.

nogard 12-01-2009 04:03 PM

Thanks Trish :)

I was wrong to say you dont need to reply, I assumed that this post would only be relevant to me and maybe a couple of people close to me.

How wrong was that and what great respnses.

Of course now I want .... what do I want? I guess only ... more more more - lol

Kevin

Hevyn 12-01-2009 04:39 PM

Hi Kev. I admire what you did. With things the way they are right now, I'm not sure I'd have done the right thing. I agree, you'll find your niche - and it'll be something you don't have to feel bad about - or hypocritical.

coffeenut 12-01-2009 06:26 PM

To take the high road, when it would be so easy not to....is to be commended. It speaks volumes of the type of person you are. Thank you for sharing this.

OZboy 12-01-2009 06:38 PM

...i got asked to be a ((((((muffin man)))))))

..good choice kev...lol...ozy

OZboy 12-01-2009 06:41 PM

BTW; want you want.

..iz want we all want..

least 12-01-2009 06:44 PM

You followed your heart, what's wrong with that? Seems you did the right thing if you believe in it.

tyler 12-01-2009 07:37 PM

I worked in a sales position that "required" extremely unethical practices. It really wore on me day after day and contributed to my drug use. It was a vicious circle. I used to help me get by, but I couldn't get a new job because I used.

Today I am working in the same position for a company that is EXTREMELY ethical. I can't tell you how much better it makes me feel knowing that by doing "what is right" I am also doing what the company wants me to. I completely understand where you are coming from. I think you did the right thing. Take care.

Impurrfect 12-01-2009 07:53 PM

(((Kevin)))

Though I desperately need a new job, I refuse to apply to one company that is hiring because of their unethical treatment of employees. I'd rather find 2-3 other jobs, than go there. I totally understand what you did.

There's something better for you out there.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

SeekSobriety 12-01-2009 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by nogard (Post 2449024)
I have a little work but not enough at present, so have been looking around for contract work. A couple of days ago I was offeered a long term cotract by a Major Cigarette manufacturer and this morning I turned it down on principle and told them why I had turned it dowm.

I needed the money so my head is telling me that was stupid as has one of my friends, he said; "... business is business..." well maybe I am not very good at business and I could not in good faith work for them having coughed on their cancer sticks for so many years and having seen what their product does to individuals, families and whole communities and that is roughly what I told them

I had to write this down. No need to reply.

Thanks Kevin

It was Cigarettes that Killed Bill Wilson and so many of our many freinds and families.
People bust there ass to get sober and then end up being taken by the vicious disease of nicotine addiction. I am glad you stood your ground and followed your principals. That is rare these days for people to do.
Congratulations, you are a great person, leading by example.
Thank you so much!
:c011:

yeahgr8 12-01-2009 11:08 PM

Sounds like you made the right choice for you, if it doesn't sit well inside then don't disrespect yourself and do it anyway...especially for money...thanks for sharing!

Live 12-01-2009 11:41 PM

Your decision shows that you are an HONORABLE man, when so much of our "values" are sellouts to money hunger.
I want to thank you for posting this.
We need more heroes...and I find your decision heroic, now I hope there are children around you...to learn what it is to have true ethical responsibility...
I am grateful to you.
Thank you.

penny74 12-02-2009 01:34 AM

l would not work for a tabacco company.
good decision.
Wish you well.

Rusty Zipper 12-02-2009 03:36 AM

kevbro,

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

love ya buddy!

nogard 12-02-2009 09:11 PM

Wow, thanks, a hero :D do i get the spandex suit too and my own telephone box (((live)))

Thanks guys, back to looking for work today.

Kevin