Notices

Is it odd that I miss my IOP meetings?

Old 12-01-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it odd that I miss my IOP meetings?

Hi, My name is Abbie and I'm 18 years old and a senior in high school. I was arrested my sophomore year for having drugs at school. At the time, I was livid, but now I'm pretty 100% sure that it was the best thing that has happened to me. I was put into juvenile diversion and sent for an assessment at NKRC (a recovery center about 15 minutes from where I live). I was put into their teen IOP program and went to group 3 times a week for 3 hours each day. I miss it so much. I was arrested and admitted in April and graduated the program and ended my aftercare in July. And of course, I screwed up that very weekend and drugged and drank myself into a blackout. I am satisfied to say that since then, I have not taken drugs. I have had the occasional drink or too, but I have not been wasted since October. Drinking, is something I am working on. Anyways, I'm sure this is rambling. I miss my meetings, I miss my group members. I miss being able to go and talk about how I feel and whats going with people who get it. I miss feeling like I belong. I'm going to my first AA meeting tonight with one of my old group members and I'm going to NA on Thursday. I don't have cravings but I do have the occasional triggers. I miss hearing people's stories and helping them and being helped when I cant help myself. I'm looking forward to AA but I know it will be nothing like my group at NKRC mostly because I wont be in my comfort zone or with people that have been with my from the beginning of my journey. I'm sorry if this is long and this isnt exactly what this section is for. But i figured id introduce myself and wanted to let you all know i am looking forward to hearing about your journeys and your successes and offering support whenever possible, as long as youre willing to do the same.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a fellow buckeye! Glad you joined us!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

The reason I come here is because people here understand.

I'm glad you found us, and good for you for seeking support for your recovery.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yay, Ohio! minus the snow. although we've been pretty lucky with this weather so far!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Glad you are here. If you keep going to meetings and meeting new people to share your journey with. You get that same sense of comfort with them.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Abbie

Never been to IOP, but I think Aysha is probably right when she says meetings will be a good substitute

Welcome to SR.

D
Old 12-02-2009, 02:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Welcome!

Two other Ohioans is more than I thought were on this site One might get the impression Ohio is a really sober place.... not. What was the quote... "we're in Ohio -- if you don't have a brewski in your hand you might as well be wearing a dress"

I've been to IOP and to meetings, and between the two I'll take the meetings. I enjoyed IOP, but I think one advantage of meetings is that fewer people are being legally compelled to be there. Also, in a meeting there is zero chance of having someone who is not an alcoholic or an addict running the meeting.

I look forward to hearing more from you!

-Goat
Old 12-02-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I was only briefly in IOP, but did two rounds of inpatient. This was about 5-6 years ago and, yes, at times I do long for that "safe" feeling I felt there, especially in the group sessions. I personally never found an AA/NA group that gave me the same feeling (and I've been to well over 100) I think the main reason is that there is no back and forth sharing allowed in meetings. I guess you get more of of that type of interaction with the "meeting after the meeting" concept, so I'd suggest you try to get involved with people after the meetings for more "group" or one on one sharing. Feel lucky that you are 18 and know you have a problem and are working on it. It took many of us decades to even be willing to "try" to make changes in our lives. Good luck, take care.