SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   72 Hours of Sobriety! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/189431-72-hours-sobriety.html)

Jester1025 11-27-2009 08:03 PM

72 Hours of Sobriety!

Well, I am now closing in on 72 hours of sobriety, and the good news is that I definitely felt so much better during the day time today. It was really nice to go to work and interact with a clear head for once However, night time is a much different story. I am not going to lie... it is kind of difficult right now... I think my brain has become so accustomed to me drinking at night, that I easily become bored if I do not drink. I faced that boredom earlier tonight and started to get a little depressed. Like I was missing out on a lot of fun by not drinking tonight. So, I decided to go to the gym at 8:30 on a Friday night instead of drinking beers. Unbelievable. Doing the exercise definitely help me out a lot too because now I feel like I have accomplished something worthwhile with my evening instead of getting wasted. And that is a really good feeling. However, that that fear of boredom still lingers on in my mind. It is not as powerful as it was earlier tonight, but it is still there. Please tell me that this feeling will eventually go away or at least become less frequent over time if I remain sober. Thanks. By the way, this is only my second day using this website, and it has already helped me more than anything else that I have tried in the past. You guys are great! I am very happy to be here.

txsar 11-27-2009 08:41 PM

Congrats on your 72 hours!! Nighttime is hard for me as well as that's when I usually sat down and had my wine while watching tv. I'm still watching tv in the evenings after the kids go to bed but now hot herbal tea is my drink of choice in the evenings.

CarolD 11-27-2009 08:43 PM

Good for you....:yup:

Please give yourself time to find interesting sober
things to explore. The future is so much better
without alcohol.

Dee74 11-27-2009 08:44 PM

keep it up!:c014:

D

Hevyn 11-27-2009 08:59 PM

Great news, Jester! You can do this.

akazia21 11-27-2009 09:13 PM

Congrats Jester-I too was at the gym tonight-at 6pm but still.....I'm just about Day 14 and the thoughts are still there but it seems I have broken my routine of stopping for wine which has lessened them somewhat. Actually thinking about drinking right now makes me feel a little sick to my stomach...I am on here a lot which helps and I keep telling myself one day at a time...and it is working thus far. When I was at the gym I realised all the mysterious pains my body was feeling up until I quit, stomach pains etc have not been around...pretty nice. Also, I do pretty much exactly what I did when I drank, watch TV, and surf the internet-except now I remember what it is I am watching LOL That and I can read too-seeing as the pages aren't moving. Your brain just needs time to readjust...change is hard but it is well worth it. Have a great night :)

Jules62 11-27-2009 10:03 PM

Well done Jester!

I read your earlier post but didn't have time to respond.I just wanted to encourage you though.72 hours is MAGNIFICENT! I have never forgotten how hard those first days were...the boredom, the cravings, the what ifs?But you know-nothing beats triumphing over them.It's something to be really proud of.We really do understand how hard it can be.

Hang in there.It really DOES get better, I promise. You're doing great.
Jules :)

thirtybubba 11-27-2009 10:22 PM

Congrats, Jester.

Yeah, it does get better--and fairly soon. I only ever made it to 20 days, and I got to the point where the cravings were mostly gone and those I did get were manageable with a little distraction. Hope it's that way for you too.

Take care,
TB

sourgirlSC 11-28-2009 12:44 PM

Way to go!

Way to go! Every day. . . heck, every hour that we spend sober is a victory.

I pray I am where you are this time tomorrow! :praying:

ElegantlyWasted 11-28-2009 12:50 PM

I relate to the fear of boredom rearing it's ugly head. I decided it was simply
my "desease" trying to keep itself alive. As mentioned above find some thing else to do that you enjoy or may enjoy. That's one of the curses and blessings of this thing.. We suddenly have
large amounts of time we need to fill with something! Keep it rollin'!

spen71 11-28-2009 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted (Post 2446406)
I relate to the fear of boredom rearing it's ugly head. I decided it was simply
my "desease" trying to keep itself alive. As mentioned above find some thing else to do that you enjoy or may enjoy. That's one of the curses and blessings of this thing.. We suddenly have
large amounts of time we need to fill with something! Keep it rollin'!

Boredom has always what triggers my drinking. Back on day one so I have got to think of things to do.