Notices

Depressed

Old 11-27-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I totally understand how you are feeling. I thought that at first also. But now, i actually go to parties here and there, and i get a club soda w/ lime and don't talk about it w/ anyone. I have learned to have a great time without drinking. I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD EVER SAY that.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Keltie,

Hi there and welcome to SR!

I too had some sober years, and slipped back into insanity this year. This time, I am also attending AA. I needed the face to face support of people that understood what I am feeling.

For much of my sober time before, although the alcohol was out of my body, it was still in my head. I thought about alcohol, not drinking, drinking, others drinking, etc. AA has helped relieve that obsession from my thoughts this time.

I have accepted that I am an alcoholic. It is a part of me, just like the genes I have that make me tall, etc. Once I accept my alcoholism, I accept that others are not like me, they can drink, and I can't.

Looking forward to hearing more from you...
Old 11-28-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'd love if I could drink like a normal person--it'd be awesome! I don't think I am alone on that. But I can't drink like a normal person. If I could, I would not be posting in this forum tonight. Just remember who you are and understand that not everybody who drinks to have a good time is an alcoholic. Best.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome Keltie! I never thought I would 'have fun' if i quit drinking...what would I do on my Birthday, for heavens sake! Well, I've found that sobriety is so much better than being a drunk. So much better. Never in a million years thought I'd be saying that.

Early sobriety is tough....so go easy on yourself. Keep coming back, lots of good people here.