SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello New to the boards here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/189222-hello-new-boards-here.html)

MrTG 11-24-2009 01:26 PM

Hello New to the boards here

Hello all. I stumbled across these boards doing a search. It looks like great area to do some research. I know this may be an old story but here it is...

I have had many successes in life and can pretty much do anything I put my mind to. I have operated successful businesses, landed great jobs and pursued many great ideas only to have all of them never pan out due to having my primary concern be making sure I have my daily fix of alcohol. Sometimes just one session but sometimes several.

My wife is on the brink of great success with her profession and she wants me to take the reigns and help her. I find myself in the same situation as always. I have great ideas and can (if I want to) help her to reach the stars.

But....It's me....the same old me....great out of the gate....will get amazing initial success.... and then I find myself focusing on my main priority....alcohol.

So all I know is just once for her sake I am wanting to have this time be different. I want to be the person I was 20 years ago with a great mind, amazing ability and confidence.

I will spend some time looking around and I appreciate your putting up with this initial post.

parentrecovers 11-24-2009 01:35 PM

it's nice to meet you, mrtg.

yes, look around and read, share.

thanks for posting, and welcome.

hugs, k

smacked 11-24-2009 02:05 PM

Welcome.. glad you're considering a sober life. It's fantastic :)

MrTG 11-24-2009 02:06 PM

Thanks for the post parentrecovers. My plan is to start tomorrow. I don't think I can do it tonight. My wife is an athlete and has just finished competing in her most recent competition and wants to take her carrer to the next level.

We have many ideas and I want to get the ball rolling but I can't doing when wasting time and money on drinking. I am wanting to start tomorrow cold turkey. I am going to clean out the house later tonight of everything.

I hope this works. :)

Dee74 11-24-2009 02:07 PM

Welcome Mr TG

You'll find a lot of support here.

My one piece of advice is to try and focus primarily on doing this for yourself - wanting to be the man you want to be, not any responsibilty to your wife...if you focus on one the other will work out anyway :)

D

MrTG 11-24-2009 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by smacked (Post 2442602)
Welcome.. is your plan to quit drinking?

Yes. Stop completely and get back into my previous workout and fitness routine. For years I was able to have a great physique in support of my wife's profession as a personal trainer and bodybuilding coach.

Now my physique is pretty much crap due to drinking.

smacked 11-24-2009 02:08 PM

planning to quit 'tomorrow' kept me drunk for years. I hope you have better success at it!

Also, detoxing can be dangerous.. you might want to consult a doc to make sure you're safe.

Anna 11-24-2009 02:09 PM

Hi and Welcome,

Getting rid of the alcohol in the house is a great idea.

You might think of talking to your dr before you detox as it can be dangerous.

I`m so glad you found us and hope you continue to read and post.

MrTG 11-24-2009 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by smacked (Post 2442615)
planning to quit 'tomorrow' kept me drunk for years. I hope you have better success at it!

Also, detoxing can be dangerous.. you might want to consult a doc to make sure you're safe.

I never thought about the dangers of detox. I suppose I should factor that into my plans and do some research on what that might be like.

I am the sort of person that figures I can handle anything. I suppose that is one of many mistakes that I have made over the years.

MrTG 11-24-2009 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 2442607)
Welcome Mr TG

You'll find a lot of support here.

My one piece of advice is to try and focus primarily on doing this for yourself - wanting to be the man you want to be, not any responsibilty to your wife...if you focus on one the other will work out anyway :)

D

I can understand what you mean. Great point. Thank you.

MrTG 11-24-2009 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by smacked (Post 2442615)

I understand. I just made this decision this afternoon.

BTW...great smilies here...

:Squat::dance8::a115:

MrTG 11-24-2009 02:22 PM

November 25th ~ Here we go

Starting tomorrow. I hope this works. I thought I should start a thread so I at least have something to focus on for first thing in the morning.

....See you tomorrow.

PS ~ Sorry this may not be the correct board to post this on. Mods please move to correct area if needed.

Thanks. :)

CarolD 11-24-2009 03:42 PM

Hi....:wavey:
I did move you over to Newcomers so more members will
notice your efforts and offer support.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress...:yup:
Welcome to our recovery community

Anna 11-24-2009 03:48 PM

We`re here to support you!

Dee74 11-24-2009 03:49 PM

I did a merge of your two threads TG :)
:thanks

D

nelco 11-24-2009 04:04 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress too...Welcome, you have my support

mirage 11-24-2009 04:35 PM

Glad you're here, MrTG! Best of luck to you! :ring

wanttolive 11-24-2009 05:29 PM

Welcome! Great place to go for support. When I was going through withdrawal just being on here and reading others stories helped through the cravings. Keep us posted! :c009:

smacked 11-24-2009 05:53 PM

Wow Dee, fancy shmancy :)

Mr, you can also join the November group too.. it's great to have a 'class' month to share trials and tribulations (and huge successes with!).

coffeenut 11-24-2009 08:34 PM

Welcome!