SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Slipped last night (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/189197-slipped-last-night.html)

Vulcan 11-24-2009 06:34 AM

Slipped last night

7 days and poof. Hope to make it a slip and not a relapse. Amen. It's so frustrating. I'll have a month, a week, three months, two weeks and then woops.

I really don't want this life anymore. The life of drinking. Oh well, try again.

BeachAngel 11-24-2009 06:41 AM

Keep trying! I am working on it too and I understand your stuggle. I see many sober people here that are free and enjoying their lives without alchohol. What a blessing that is!

Good luck to you and glad you are here,

BA

Goat 11-24-2009 06:46 AM

You've only failed if you quit trying. Keep it up, 7 days is good. Just be sober for today and that will be good. Then tomorrow just be sober for today, too :)

I'm glad you're here talking to us about it. Not hiding your slip is a good sign.

-Goat

BeachAngel 11-24-2009 06:49 AM

Oh, and one more thing that might help you:

"There is a saying in Tibetan, Tragedy should be utilized as a source of strength.
No matter what sort of difficulties, how painful experience is, if we lose our hope, that’s our real disaster." - His Holiness the Dalai Lama

RocketsintheSky 11-24-2009 06:56 AM

You just gotta keep getting back up!!! Every time you get back up, you get stronger and stronger.

Anna 11-24-2009 07:23 AM

Welcome back!

Sikkisirus 11-24-2009 07:33 AM

As everyone says, dust yourself down and start again. A friend of mine had quite a few slips before 'getting it'. He's 19 years sober now :)

DesertKate 11-24-2009 07:45 AM

Ditto, ditto, ditto: get back up on the horse and keep moving forward!

I have known so very many people who struggled like crazy their first couple of years until finally they got it! I'm thinking of one woman in particular in my old home group in Seattle. One of the funniest, nicest women you will ever meet and so sincere in her desire to be free of alcohol. But the woman would get, max, 60 days and then she'd slip. This went on for a year and a half and, frankly, I could sense the group losing hope for her. But- you just never know, really, what will work for someone. She kept showing up at meetings- and never tried to hide her slips. So she was persistent AND honest.

Last time I was in Seattle, Virginia was celebrating two years sober!

So keep on keeping on and resist the urge to hate yourself- that'll feed the disease. And consider picking up the darn phone and calling sober friends next time you're feeling like drinking.

smacked 11-24-2009 08:40 AM

All you can do at this point is keep trying. Unfortunately I got myself to the point to where a "slip" "relapse" or whatever recovery word you want to use for "getting drunk again" became a life or death issue for me, so merely 'trying' wasn't going to save my life. I had to commit to a sober life, and get the help that I needed to achieve it, or I would die. I hope that you find the help you need.

nelco 11-24-2009 10:05 AM

Im sober 11 years. I use the 12 steps of AA and regular contact with other alcoholics who are happy joyous and free from alcohol.

metalpaul 11-24-2009 10:12 AM

Hey people, hows it going. Im just joined in hopes of getting a little support from people who now what Im going through instead of a Bible-bashing preist or Doctor.

My sobriety date was Sept. 4, 2009, and last Friday I slipped too. I found a bottle of MS Contin in my mothers room just sitting there, and proceeded to sniff 6 of them. SO I know how disappointing is feels to let yourself down like that. But I also know it comes with the territory, and anyone whos trying to live sober that says they have never relapsed is a liar. Good luck in the future, I have a feeling we will both need it.

nelco 11-24-2009 10:20 AM

and anyone whos trying to live sober that says they have never relapsed is a liar.
I never relapsed and I am not a liar! ITS POSSIBLE!

smacked 11-24-2009 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by metalpaul (Post 2442298)
Hey people, hows it going. Im just joined in hopes of getting a little support from people who now what Im going through instead of a Bible-bashing preist or Doctor.

My sobriety date was Sept. 4, 2009, and last Friday I slipped too. I found a bottle of MS Contin in my mothers room just sitting there, and proceeded to sniff 6 of them. SO I know how disappointing is feels to let yourself down like that. But I also know it comes with the territory, and anyone whos trying to live sober that says they have never relapsed is a liar. Good luck in the future, I have a feeling we will both need it.

Relapse is part of active addiction, not recovery. I have not "relapsed" since I got sober, and began a recovery program. The only time in my life that I was a "liar", was when I was still using.

It is absolutely possible not to use/drink/whatever again.. a lot of people attest to that accomplishment here every day.

Dee74 11-24-2009 03:22 PM

Vulcan
You're not alone - many of us have been where you are. The important thing to do is find out where you're going wrong...then move on.

Keep trying :)

Hi to you too MetalPaul.
Same goes for you too - work out what else you need to do
I hope you'll find this site as useful as I have.

Welcome to SR.

D