Notices

gnawing feeling in stomach after methadone

Old 11-21-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

gnawing feeling in stomach after methadone

Hi, I am new to this so please hang in there with me. Here is my story. I was addicted to opiates for YEARS! I went to a local rehab and they tried suboxen (how ever you spell it) but I couldn't take it. They then after 6 days of nothing sent me to a methadone clinic. I had no idea what it was really but thought if it would help I would give it a try. I was on methadone for around 2 yrs never going over 55mg. I then wanted to start getting off. I went down 5mg a month. Going from 10mg to 5 was a little rough but I made it. Then after going to nothing hell started. I feel over all sick but my worst problem is the gnawing feeling in my stomach that wakes me and after that there is no sleep. I describe the feeling as being on a roller coaster ALL THE TIME. Is this normal? I'm on day 10 off all methadone but the stomach problem doesn't seem to be getting any better. I went to work yesterday (waitress) and barely made it. I feel like I could pass out sometimes. Getting up I get dizzy light headed and feel like all my blood has drained from my body. The mornings are the worst really shaky. I've been taking xanex and that helps but very little. What can I do?
Old 11-21-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Welcome on SR kherbear,
Unfortunately I have no experience on this subject, but if you feel that sick, I think you should talk to your dr.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR
I also think you should talk to your Dr.

Getting professional advice is the responsible option IMO, Kherbear.

D
Old 11-21-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hypercube

Hi kherbear. Congrats on getting off the methadone, it's not an easy process.

When I stopped I had stomach pain which used to come and go for a month or so, at one stage I almost passed out too. While this may be part of the withdrawals, please see your doctor to rule out any nasties like giardia and helicobacter pylori, etc.