Notices

Dreams

Old 11-20-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JayA

Dreams

Hello,

Today I have two weeks without alcohol under my belt (thanks my HP). Last night I had a weird dream (rather two). I can't remember the sequence in which I had the dreams but here they are...

1. I am in the family room with wife and kids and somehow I sensed that there is someone in the garage drying to get in the house. So I close the door between garage and hallway and lock it. All I hear is someone pushing the door and trying to open the lock but no sound. I am asking my wife to call 911 and she asked my son to call but no one is doing anything.

2. I am in my car in driving seat and I have one large brown bag that has lots of quarts of unopened alcohol bottles. I can see the brands that I drank in recent past in that bag. There is someone (can't remember who) in the passenger seat - he is asking what you doing with these. I said I am going to public trash site and throw them; I don't want to throw them in my home trash bin. At the same time - I feel that I am also seating in the back seat of my car and another me is having this conversation. I can see back of my head (me who is in the driver seat) and the brown bag. So in summary - there are two versions of me. One in the driver seat with the bag, another in the back seat listening quietly.

Also, garage is the place where I used to store my stash and I used to sneak to garage to gulp down some quick onces.

I woke up after the dream with a dry throat and got a glass of water and looked at the watch - it as 5.30am. Time to wakeup and go to gym.

Thanks for listening. I will really appreciate any feedback.

Jay
Old 11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thats strange Jay but at least they were only dreams. I have been having those lately only I am sneaking drinking in all of them. I wake up and I'm in a panic until I realize. In the past those dreams always preceded a binge for me. This time it will be different.

I hope your dreams stop soon but maybe (if you believe in it) it is your subconcious working through your non-drinking life. Congrats on your two weeks!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jay,

Drinking dreams are fairly common in early sobriety. Believe me, I know how real and unsettling they can be as I had my share of them! Mine were usually about accidently drinking, I don't know why that was.

I think it's good to listen to the dreams while remembering they will pass.

Congrats on your sobriety time!

Love,

Lenina
Old 11-20-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jedipaulia View Post
Hello,

Today I have two weeks without alcohol under my belt (thanks my HP). Last night I had a weird dream (rather two).
(snip!)
Thanks for listening. I will really appreciate any feedback.

Jay
paste this in to word, use the auto summery till you have only one line
left, and that is what your dream is about.

I did this once, a page and a half came down to this:
"I keep my dreams under some dirty clothes in the corner of my bed room"
Old 11-20-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did this once, a page and a half came down to this:
"I keep my dreams under some dirty clothes in the corner of my bed room"[/QUOTE]

LOL! That's really funny to me! Thanks!

Love,

Lenina
Old 11-20-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jedi, these dreams are very common to us newbees. Mine are just starting to pick up momemtum and soon they will be as vivid as yours. Some psychology theories state that dreams have no meaning at all and are just the manifestation of our brain acting erratically during certain cycles of the sleep pattern. However, others say they are messages from our subconcious. If the latter is true, and I were to take I guess I would say that in the first dream the person trying to get into your house from the garage represents the struggles you are having in keeping addiction out of your life. The locking of the door represents the initiative YOU took towards your sobriety. Your desperate calls for help to your wife, represent your fear that will not be able to make it through alone. The lack of interest by your family to help you, is a message your subconcious is sending telling you to trust yourself and not to depend on someone or something else to protect you from your addiction.

I hope this helped or at least gave you some entertaiment. Lastly, congratulations in your 2 weeks sober!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again jedipaulia - good to see you back

Drinking dreams, and downright weird dreams, are pretty common - someone here can give you the science no doubt.

I had a few during my first year - a lot less since...I'm not a great dream decipherer so I always choose not to attach any great significance to them

D
Old 11-20-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

my experience.

certainly for the first month..ish i had very vivid nightmares and some drinking dreams...
complete with sweating and hangover.

i mean........for me ..smashing the hell out of booze for years its gonna take some time for my body and mind to adjust to doing without that poison..
Old 11-20-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Love my puppies

I remember early in my sobriety lots and lots of drinking dreams, but eventually they became less and less, but they sure seemed real and were very upsetting. After 6yrs, drinking dreams are very rare, but if I do have one, I know I can get up and get on with my day without dwelling on the dream...because that's all they are...dreams.

Congrats on your 2 weeks! Keep up the great work! :ghug3
Old 11-20-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow reading that I was also reminded of the last time I was sober for a significant amount of time...maybe 1 or two months in I had extremely vivid dreams about using alcohol and/or coke...so vivid that when I awoke I was almost confused as to if I had or not (being in jail at the time the answer was no LOL). I would be shaking and feel sick, but those dreams passed in time...and faded away after six months or so-but they can be very offputting when you do have them. I heard from my AA sponser at the time that this is very common especially with long term frequent use