Notices

Going cold turkey?? safe or not safe??

Old 11-19-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going cold turkey?? safe or not safe??

Hello everyone,

My first time here. I've tried googling to find the answer to my question but couldn't find anything. I'm hoping this place will help me. Basically I finally decided I am ready to quit drinking!!! But am curious if, given my personal track record if it is safe to go cold turkey... (some background info)..

I am a 22 year old girl. I never thought I would say this- because growing up I was never in trouble, a good student, played sports, came from a well off family, whatever- but I am a struggling alcoholic.

It started around when I turned 19. Casually drinking on the weekends, but it would always be binge drinking. Then I moved out to my own apartment, got a job in a bar, and slowly but surely for the next 2.5-3 years my life became centered around drinking. For the past 2 years I would say on average I probably consumed at least 5 drinks/5 nights a week. AT LEAST. That's being very, very generous. In reality most the time it was probably easily double that.

This past spring and summer got bad though. Really, really bad. Drinking around the clock. Having the shakes if I was sober. At least a 5th a day, sometimes more. Drinking as soon as I woke up, drinking before work, drinking by myself, drinking every night until I blacked out pretty much.. constantly drunk..

I've slowed down within the past month or so but still drink about a pint of rum a day.

I have gone 2 days sober... this is my 3rd. This is the longest I've gone without a sip for at least 2.5 years.

I'm curious and scared to know what types of withdrawal symptoms I should be expecting (if any?) within the next few days? Can anyone give me some insight? I would really, really appreciate it!

Much love
Old 11-19-2009, 10:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi HereComesTheSun

Welcome

I recommend everyone seek at least medical advice, if not supervision, when detoxing.

It's the responsible thing to do.

Not every has trouble with detox...but it makes sense to be safe with these things.

I didn't seek advice, and I wish I had.
D
Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

See a doctor. If you don't have a doctor, virtually any general practioner in the phone book will be able to guide you, and these GP visits are generally inexpensive should you not be insured.

Each body differs. Some can drink a liter of whiskey a day for years and quit with only moderate symptoms. Some are young such as yourself but can suffer severe DTs. Just see a doctor, tell him or her your exact habits, and listen to the advice. You may simply be prescribed a mild sedative. You might be recommended for full medical supervision. I was able to do mine at home via sedatives despite about 5 straight years of liter-per-day scotch and bourbon. However, everyone is different, and that's why you need to see a physician!

Make no mistake...the people here who may seem 'alarmist' about the dangers of detox are not kidding. You may have slowed down recently, but alcohol DTs actually kill people...so make at least one doctor visit and listen to their pro opinion.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

Detoxing can be fatal, but I do want to congrat you on the 2 days. Please see a doctor to make sure you have medical advice about detoxing. My doctor prescribed 2 days of anit-seizure medications, I was drinking a 5th every 2 days and they were incredibly worried about my detoxing. However, since you've been dry for 2 days (and in addition to calling a doctor), drink tons of water, eat lightly and blandly, take your vitamins. Get out and walk, get fresh air. Think about how you're going to stay sober. Most of us have found we weren't very good at doing it alone.. but luckily there's lots of options out there. I went to a lot of counseling, but some people go to meetings, rehabs, outpatient rehabs, and other means of working towards recovery.

I hope you get the help you need, this place has also been a Godsend to so many, I know that.

Welcome!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!
Please listen to what everybody has already said. At least make sure someone knows about you detoxing. Here is what I experienced, which doesn't mean you or anybody else will:
Severe shakes
Severe tremours
Visual and audio hallucinations
My head felt like it was the size of a hot air balloon.
I did detox in the ER and was helped with medication.
I was lucky enough not to suffer any seizures. All this might not happen to you, especially as you are already sober for 2 days. Mine started immediately after the booze left my body. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

keep posting id be interested in your experience..
all of us have different experiences with withdrawal from alcohol.

some do cart wheels very quickly.................some end end with severe medical complications.

best to get the low down from the doc.......go easy.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank-you, Thank-you everyone for your replies!!!!

I went 3 days sober and then last night, friday night, after working a 12 hour shift- cracked... I had two 20 oz beers and 2 mixed drinks.. which isn't a whole lot for me, but I still drank

My problem is now I work in a bar, and hang out with other people who could also be considered alcoholics.

I put my 2 weeks in so I'm quitting my job in the bar, and after I quit my job it will be easy to lose my other drinking "friends"

I would seek medical help for this but, in all honesty, the last time I came home drunk, I broke down to my dad and told him about half of my problem, and gave him a small hint at how much I drink.. he suggested AA but other than that, I don't think he realizes how big of a deal it is, or how dangerous it can be, for someone like me to just simply quit putting alcohol into their body. I feel like if I went to the dr for it he would think I was silly for doing so or something. He thinks I've been sober for a week, ha! Sad he doesn't realize his little girl still sits in her room and gets drunk by herself after they've gone to bed.....

I will keep you updated on my progress and how things go.

In the meantime, I look forward to reading your guys' stories and offering everyone else support.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

Originally Posted by HereComesTheSun View Post
Thank-you, Thank-you everyone for your replies!!!!

I went 3 days sober and then last night, friday night, after working a 12 hour shift- cracked... I had two 20 oz beers and 2 mixed drinks.. which isn't a whole lot for me, but I still drank

My problem is now I work in a bar, and hang out with other people who could also be considered alcoholics.

I put my 2 weeks in so I'm quitting my job in the bar, and after I quit my job it will be easy to lose my other drinking "friends"

I would seek medical help for this but, in all honesty, the last time I came home drunk, I broke down to my dad and told him about half of my problem, and gave him a small hint at how much I drink.. he suggested AA but other than that, I don't think he realizes how big of a deal it is, or how dangerous it can be, for someone like me to just simply quit putting alcohol into their body. I feel like if I went to the dr for it he would think I was silly for doing so or something. He thinks I've been sober for a week, ha! Sad he doesn't realize his little girl still sits in her room and gets drunk by herself after they've gone to bed.....

I will keep you updated on my progress and how things go.

In the meantime, I look forward to reading your guys' stories and offering everyone else support.
I doubt that your dad would find it silly that you needed some medical help if he knew that you were drinking as much as you are. That being said, why is it any of his business, or discretion on your plan for sobriety or treatment? I guarantee you any doctor that's worth their weight in anything will agree that you need some pretty close medical supervision detoxing off of the amount of alcohol your body has been used to.

I hope you get the help you need.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It may infact have been a good thing for you to have started drinking again on day three3 without withdrawal medication. Alcohol withdrawal can and is often deadly, please see a doctor before your next attempt - there are medications that reduce the very real dangers of alcohol cessation.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smacked speaks the truth. Maybe your Dad knows more than he's letting on but doesn't know what to do. Right now getting sober is the most important thing, don't worry about what others are thinking. As far as seeing a doctor goes, look at at this way - they can make sure you don't get in to serious trouble and diminish the unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, so why not? They have no reason to not take you seriously, just be honest, they're there to help, they work for you. I think you're headed in the right direction, keep it up.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rockstar

You've had great advice so Im just wishing you the best :ghug3
Old 11-22-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi HCTS

I think your welfare and well being is more important that what your Dad might or might not think. I hope you'll follow through on your plan to make some definite changes.

D
Old 11-22-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Things got worse for me thru day 8. The thing is that during this time,your system can all the sudden crash without warning. Hope for the best and see a doc if things get bad. Nobody has quit cold turkey without some kind of side affects.

Wish you well,

Ron