Notices

Sometimes_I_wonder

Old 11-19-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sometimes_I_wonder

We were just told at work that in order to be able to afford next years health plan, those of us who smoke, are overweight, etc. have to 'clean house' or else. I smoke, I have put on a lot of weight since I stopped drinking. I'm on day 57 and I feel I'm being punished for doing well. Actually I'm freaking out a bit - I still do enjoy my cigarettes and I'm not ready to give those up too. I know it's just another addiction and the enjoyment is pretence. I know it's not good for me, blah blah blah. Same as alcohol wasn't and isn't. Sorry, no offense to non-smokers, I'm just angry right now and overreacting .
Am I wrong in thinking one step, one day, one addiction at a time? Anybody else out there dealing with both and if so how? I need the health plan, so I don't really have a choice. So once I get the kicking and screaming out of the way, any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand your frustration. You feel like you should be rewarded for doing so well. On the flip side, you have to see their point as well. Health care is getting ridiculously expensive, and they are doing everything they can to keep costs as affordable as possible. That being said, it isn't fair to those who take care of themselves to be footing the bill for those that choose to live un-healthy lifestyles.

It is a form of socialized medicine. Those that can pay are paying for those that do not. That is exactly why we see so many people come to the ER with sore throats. They have no intentions of paying the bill, and they can't go to the regular clinic because they have un-paid bills, etc. The ER HAS to treat them, no matter what. Hence, we all see sky-rocketing prices.

There is no easy answer, but I think it is time the people who take care of themselves get rewarded for that, instead of punished by paying for those less healthy people.

Just my opinion, and I hope you don't feel I am picking on you. Just the way it is.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well.... I firmly believe that the money in the health care system is going to the "guys in the suits" who work in the fancy glass office buildings along the highway... not to providers and patients... lots of it going to stockholders as well.... oh, I shouldn't get started on that...

But....

Whatever money is saved by rating our health insurance premiums based on behavior is chicken scratch compared to what the profiteers and leaches suck from the system....

Yea, people with healthy behaviors should be rewarded, with good health!! That way they have less copays, claims towards high deductibles, prescription copays... maybe lower premiums are in order also!!

But let's not get too smug.... The fat cats in the system are getting a pass and meanwhile we vilify people engaging in legal behavior.

My 2 cents.

Mark
Old 11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is nothing you have said I don't already know and of course I agree there should be a fairer system.
I just needed advise on how to do it. Please consider that it can be just as psychologically difficult to stop smoking cigarettes. I would go to the smoking section of SR, but I'm an alcoholic in early recovery and was hoping that there might be others out here with the same problem.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Saphie,

I am sorry. My insurance just went up and covers less due to the company's health care costs. We are self insured and had some large claims last year.

I would think that they would just make smokers pay more. (closet smoker here) I have never heard of overweight people paying more or not having coverage.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Saphie..congrats on your sober time.

I know how tough it is in early sobriety, with weight gain, etc.

Usually when health plans add those types of provisions to a health plan, there is a "grace period" provided to address those issuse. If the employee is possibly in a wellness program, or is trying to lose weight, quit smoking, etc. the rate stays the same.

This has just been my experience in the plans I have been involved with the administration of.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Our rates went up this year also. The coverage is the same, but we had to pay quite a bit more. I agree, it is a mess that needs to be fixed, but what do you do? You certainly shouldn't go without health insurance if you can help it. So for now we just keep paying more and receiving less. It sucks, and I don't know what the answer is.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

..be easy on yourself....

..none of this iz pleasent..only you no what to do...

..have a smoke if you want too...

..it's good that..the drinking has stopped...that seems to be
the underlying tell tale of all our problems...ozy
Old 11-19-2009, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

..be easy on yourself....

..none of this iz pleasent..only you no what to do...

..have a smoke if you want too...

..it's good that..the drinking has stopped...that seems to be
the underlying tell tale of all our problems...ozy
Old 11-19-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

whoops...toomany posts...
Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
part time member

I don't think that I could give up two vices at the same time. I gave up smoking years ago. It even crossed my mind to start again so it would be easier giving up the booze. That would have been awful. I remember giving up cigs like it was yesterday. I still dream about smoking...yikes. I wouldn't get very concerned until you get the complete story about the health plan. My husband gets about $400 off for being a non smoker ect. Set a date for quitting smoking when you are ready and not pressured you have to want it or it won't take.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

As a non-smoker, I'm not in the least offended, Saphie. I do think it needs to be one addiction at a time. I'm sure if I had been a smoker, I'd have to wait until I adjusted to my new lifestyle of non drinking before I attempted to give up something else. Timing is everything with this stuff. I know you'll address that problem when you feel up to it.