Notices

Please help.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please help.

I've been drinking daily for about 2 years now, I started drink at age 13 I am now 27. I drink about 750 ML of liquor a day.... I was pulled over may 10th for DUI and blew a .243 around 10 am. My attorney wants me to go to AA which is fine but I don't feel ready to quit drinking but I have to and I am unsure how to go about this. I know I have a problem and by the judge I will have to quit drinking and I want too but I don't (weird huh), I just don't feel ready. Sorry about the lack of paragraphs,double standards and such I really just need some help.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

What do you think it would take to make you ready? There's all kinds of help to get you sober and keep you sober, though the willingness to be sober must come from you -- or from jails, institutions or death.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-17-2009, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Welcome to SR - I don't know if anyone can get sober without actually wanting to be sober.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kateriee View Post

I will have to quit drinking and I want too but I don't (weird huh)
Not weird, pretty much the standard for alcoholics. Do you think you are an alcoholic? If so, what does that mean to you? What does it feel like to you, alcoholism?

If you are drinking that much hard liquor, you may need a detox. See a doctor if you can... withdrawing from alcohol can be dangerous. May be with just a little sobriety you can see how alcohol will, and maybe has started to, wreck your life. Then willingness can come.

Welcome to SR!!

Mark
Old 11-17-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Not weird for an alcoholic. If your an alcoholic you may not want to lose your best friend. Your best friend is killing you but its all you know!!
However there is help for you.
I had a desire to stop drinking but I was scared too.
I became a member of AA and found a much better way of living.
Life became meaningful again and a lot of fear was removed from my life. I found other ways of dealing with my insecurities and in dealing with life on lifes terms.
Give it up before it kills you! OR before you kill someone else. Its not worth it.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
XYZ

Not judging you just wishing you lots and lots of luck
Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

When you're done.. there's lots of help available.

If you continue to drink, or drink again once the legal issues are over, please don't drive drunk anymore.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome to SR

Our stories are almost identical... except I am 2 years older than you. I started drinking young, started a bottle (or more) daily at 25, got a DUI sometime between now and then, about the same dang BAC. Did I want to quit at 27? No. Did I at 28 (when I got the DUI)? No.

I was 29 when I decided to quit.

I can't yet tell you all sorts of great stories about what happens after sobriety, but I can tell you roughly what your next two years or so will be like.

At first they'll be the same bottle a day. Then the nights get rougher, lonelier. You'll get shorter with people--whether you're drinking with them or, especially those who are not drinking with you. Both groups make you feel guilty for what you alone know about you. Then nothing will seem to matter as much as drinking. Minor appointments will be ignored, then major things you have to do. It just keeps spinning out of control, and what was a functional alcoholic becomes something less capable of dealing with most of life, even if the basic things (work, etc) get done. Then you might quit, or you might not, or something horrible might happen to you--or you might do something horrible to someone. The worst thing is the bottle is still available to you... because as bad as it is, it's a familiar hell...

I can't tell you to quit. I can't seem to tell me to stay quit. The judge can't tell you to quit either, actually. You have to tell yourself that...

Best of luck, and I feel for you... I wish I'd found SR when I was 27...
TB
Old 11-17-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well put, TB....
Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Can I just echo what Smacked said - please please DON'T drive drunk. If God forbid you killed someone you'd be in a whole new world of hurt.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hey kateriee I'm new on this board also. I would just like to add that I'm similar to you in the sense that I'm aware what needs to be done.. just not ready to quit. (drugs for me) i'm gonna really try to refrain from using today
Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I agree with the plea to not drink and drive.

I can also tell you that alcoholism will worsen as it is a progressive disease, unless you stop drinking.

If you decide you are ready to live a sober life, we are here to offer support.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Kateriee,

I am sorry that you are not ready. But then, you are not alone. Lots of people get DUI's and continue to drink. And as stated by others, you are not going to quit until you hit bottom and unfortunately for you, it is going to take more than putting your own life and others in danger. And as stated before, it is not going to get any better. It is all downhill from here.

But we are here for you 100% when you are ready. Best of luck and stay off the roads. Oh and the court will mandate you to AA meetings. While you are there getting your slip signed, I just ask that you keep an open mind and do your best to look for the similarities and not the differences in others.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kateriee

Welcome to SR - please do read around and post as much as you like. I hope we can help you decide to make some positive changes in your life

D