Notices

Tell us a little something about you ...

Old 11-22-2009, 11:28 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
User

I'm Kelly (female), recently turned 30, recently went back to college. Laid off at the beginning of '09 & still looking for employment. Married and have furbabies, but no human-babies (don't want any).

Addicted to opiates (nearly 3 years). Favorites are dilaudid and oxy. Began taking them for pain & became addicted, tho the pain still exists and is miserable. Tried to quit cold turkey twice & failed. Working up the nerve to attend NA, but still stuck at the "I'm not like these people" stage. Hide my addiction from everyone in my life, tho my husband recently (accidentally) found out.

Family history of alcoholism, but the addiction is my own doing. Unhappy in my marriage & use the pills to numb. Survived several traumatic childhood events & only recently begun to understand their effects. Coming to understand I medicate to escape the feelings associated with those events, too.

Obsessed with books, particularly those about things that will never happen in real life. Love music, running, painting, singing, and anything craft-ish. I'm a huge dork. Have several tattoos and each has personal meaning. I do not have blue eyes.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:58 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Moving Forward

I am Michelle and after all of my excuses, lies, and damage, it is (past) time to change. I am an alcoholic at age 32, but could not tell you how this happened. It certainly was not overnight. I do know that I am angry and terrified to be at this point. I have no idea why I cannot drink alcohol responsibly, or why I keep reaching for a bottle after all the consequences of previous binges.

I am nervous about attending an AA meeting, but know that I need to move forward.

I am remarried to a very loving man and enjoy reading.

Thank you so very much for this site.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:57 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hello all - am Claire, alcoholic on day 38. Miracles never cease! From the UK originally but have lived in the states since high school age...am 47, enjoy running (whennot injured!, yoga - will I ever do crow pose??), snowshoeing, photography, French language, culture (sans vin!) reading, learning to crochet, work in business management, live in the wilds of northern Wisconsin, have a husband, no pets, no kids. Love nature, the planet earth as a whole. Aiming to get sane before I die and to die with dignity & a sense of having done what I can with the time I've had here. Must be Monday morning - such morose thoughts! Love to travel too - wish we had more European ways of time off and cheap airfares. Nice to meet everyone.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Originally Posted by tioli View Post
Hey everyone! I'm Justin, 26/male and continuously sober from alcohol since 9/14/09 (grateful AA member since Sept. 08 but had several relapses).

What's kept me sober the last 2 and a half months is actually working the 12 steps...and a sponsor who's TOUGH on me and takes me out of my comfort zone and out of my head.

I travel a lot, so can't always make it to face to face meetings. So I'm very grateful to "meet" y'all here!
nice to have you here, tioli! great job on working the steps with a sponsor, and on your sober time!

ALL THE BRAND NEW FOLKS - FEEL FREE TO POST HERE, AND START YOUR OWN NEW THREAD IN NEWCOMERS! INTRODUCTION THREADS ALWAYS WELCOMED!

Old 11-23-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone,

My name is Christine and I am addicted to coffee (lol), and people if that's possible (men)

I am three years divorced, in a relationship with someone who would be the love of my life if he stayed clean and sober, and I believe this time he just might! I have three gorgeous and bright daughters, 17, 19, 21. I am a restaurant manager.

I am a self-proclamed Control Freak and have recently experienced a feeling of being able to let go of alot of that. It felt so liberating, then within a week I had a backslide.

I love love love people, and making people feel valued and like they are important (cuz they are!)

I know a lot of 12-step stuff, but it is often more intellectual than Real, meaning it's not always played out in my feelings and behaviors.

I love this site and know I benefit from it, and feel great when I think I have offered something to someone else.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
IO Storm

bumping....

So nice to meet all of you!

Thanks, Parent...for the neat thread.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Well, I've posted a bunch of times ... so you might already know me a little. Hmm... a little about myself?

Tonight my daughter is back from college for thanksgiving. She majors in music performance (jazz guitar) and music education... second year.... she has a great scholarship at a private catholic university in Pittsburgh.

We just spent the last two hours playing together... I on my acoustic guitar, finger picking style and her on her jazz electric. We get a neat fusion of folk and jazz. We are learning Joni Mitchell's "Urge for Going"... It's working pretty well... When she comes back for christmas break, we are going to play at the local open mike.

Mark
Old 11-23-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Oh boy! I love a good thread like this! I am crackquack! Something people don't know about me.. Hmm, that I am a crack addict? Crap.. Already know that! LOL
I am a female who does enjoy wearing make-up, but I have a lot more fun digging in engines and racing cars! Had been a drag racer from 1997-2007 (started smoking crack early 2007). Had two race cars, a truck, a van, and two other small cars. Plus an enclosed trailer. Sold all but one race car and the truck for crack! Yeah! NOT.
Former Generous (now Government) Motors employee. 12 1/2 years service! Yeah! NOT. They promised me a job for LIFE back in 1994. I AM STILL ALIVE darn it.. hehehehe...
Married twice. A dope-boy as my first husband. A spoiled, rich kid, only child, brat for the second one. I don't recommend either kind of person as a spouse. Both have control issues. They just vent their issues in different ways.
One uncle, who shot himself. He was a cocaine addict. Two grandfathers whom were alcoholics. One aunt who is an opiate (pills) and cocaine addict. One uncle who is a recovering heroin addict (he also has AIDS from a dirty needle, it was HIS bottom). Bi-polar mother, one of the top 5 worst cases in the state of Ohio. Yeah, we're famous! NOT...As for my father, he was also bi-polar and schizophrenic (sp?). Heard and saw things all the time. Also had diabetes. Needless to say, I had a HIGHLY functioning family. DISfunctioning.
Anyway, I LOVE BIRDS! My best guy friend and I shared 7 parrots. Two of them are his girls, and even though I bought EVERY bird, those two stay with him because they love each other. I have three parrots here, with me (the other two are up for adoption because he is about to lose his house to foreclosure and we might have room for the Mustache parakeet, but not the African Grey).
One of the birds here is my Meyers Parrot, Miss Maggie Magpie (Maggie or Mags for short). She and I have a long history together and share an extremely warm/heartbreaking/sad story. She and I are together until one of us passes. And she can live 35-40 years! When my Father killed (shot) himself in 2004, I had only had her about a year and a half. I already adored that little feather butt, but the day I got the call about my father, she really came through for me. ANYONE who does not believe animals have souls has never met Maggie. She was at the front of the house, on top of her cage. I got the call in the kitchen, cried and cried. Ran to my bedroom and balled my eyes out. Just in total pain (and starting to tear up right now thinking about it). I take in a few breaths from a particularly hard sob and I hear this little voice saying "up up" over and over. I look over the bed and Maggie is looking at me. Asking me to pick her up. I put my finger down, picked her up, and that precious gem snuggled under my chin and just clicked and cooed at me until I calmed down. She's never snuggled under my chin. She'll rub her beak on my nose, stick her head in my mouth, or rub her head on my cheek, but had never snuggled before nor has she done it since. Shew KNEW mama was hurting. She did what she thought she needed to do to comfort me and, even though it was cold, she went to the funeral with me to say goodbye to my father. Suicide is so hard to take. And Maggie was there for me. I love her forever. So much so, I took the needle on my right shoulder blade and got a tattoo of her. And I am CRAZY AFRAID of needles. Gosh thinking of that day really brings tears to my eyes. I love that bird. She loves ONLY me too. She's bitten everyone, animal, human, other birds. Never, in her 5 years of life, has she bitten me. And anyone who knows parrots, knows they BITE. Even the ones the love. My parrotlets BITE. The little brats. LOL. Love them, and they are tame and loveable enough, but in the wrong mood and they BITE. Maggie, always gentle with her beak. She and I share something extra special.
So, one novel later.. There is something I believe I had not shared before. LOLOL
Old 11-23-2009, 11:05 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

..IMO..
..if we set the alarm-clock...to-day..

..we'll wake up tomorrow..
Old 11-24-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Old 11-24-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
hypercube

For CrackQuack, and anyone who loves birds (and cats):

Old 11-24-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I feel better without my head down the bowl and I probably look better too!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Wow k, look at all the new people who were inspired to post on this thread! Let's all give mama k a big applause!

I'll double-dip.......

My name is Scott, I'm still an alcoholic and a codependent, and I'm ready for the holidays! Been doing a little Christmas shopping here and there, tonight I'm going to prep the turkey for smoking, it'll take over 20 hours to cook!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:29 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
let it grow!

thanks, astro. i just started it, it's everyone else's contributions that make it so interesting.

be careful smokin' that turkey, don't burn down the yurt!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:52 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
IO Storm

yurt...I remember that...

bump
Old 11-25-2009, 02:26 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

..hate my new avatar..

..it will be gone..bout 20 secs..
Old 10-30-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Wow! I found this cool old thread and thought I'd bump it up. It's so great to learn all these fun facts about you guys and gals!

I'm 52 year old mom of a 16 yr old daughter and 20 year old son. I've been married twice and am currently separated but we're still friends! I am an executive secretary with the same company for 23 years, for an oil company in Texas. Love the people I work with--I'm so lucky that way. I enjoy traveling to the mountains, reading, silversmithing, hanging with my many girlfriends, I'm a Scrabble freak, and enjoy crafting of all sorts. I am a proud 4th generation Texan.

I came to SR for help and support with my son's drug addiction and it was amazingly helpful. My son is doing so much better now and is supporting himself since we quit enabling him. Since the time I joined I got honest with myself and decided I, too, am an addict-- to alcohol. I've just started down this path and am struggling a bit, but I have faith that I will get sober for good.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Loved reading all of these.

I'm Max, alcoholic, 36 from Cornwall, living in Liverpool UK. I work for a theatre company and do various bits of teaching on the side. Married for 6 years to an amazing woman. No kids yet, but a remarkable dog (Pooch).

First got sober for 2 1/2 years 6 years ago, currently a week in.

I love stories of all kinds and crap films.

Lovely to know more about everyone.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:52 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm 59, four kids, three dogs and two cats, lived in the same place for 21 yrs now, love my neighborhood. Semi retired due to disability but live a pretty good life. Been trying to get sober for almost three years and just now coming up on a year sober.

My dogs are my kids now that my kids are grown. My dogs are my life. I live to keep them happy and healthy. I do a lot better job of that now that I'm living sober. I replaced my drinking habit with a habit of gratitude and it's working so well at keeping me sober. Today I am grateful for the person I am becoming and I'm learning to find happiness within myself.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I'm 27 from Chicago, living in DFW, Texas. I am a law student and a single mom to a 2 year old awesome little boy. His dad and I were never married but thank God he is a great father and we are good friends.

I come from a drunk and drug addicted family....mom and dad drink lots and lot and drug some, older brother is an ex-heroin addict and currently drinks lots and lots. Younger brother has schizophrenia and also drinks lots and lots. Uncle inspires me because he was clean and sober for 20+ years in AA and ended up dying from complications from this disease. I have been sober about 104 days and luckily my computer counts or I would forget.

All I do is study, exercise, go to meetings, and play with my kid and my boyfriend. Life is good and I love reading all of your stories and experiences.