Notices

Tell us a little something about you ...

Old 11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My name is Melissa. I am 30 years old...married for 12 years and have three boys who are my life! I don't know how I got here, except that two days ago I decided I was done with alcohol...I need help. It has taken over my life...and turned me into someone I don't recognize. I don't want to live this way anymore. I have looked into local AA meetings but am still trying to find the courage to go.

I am also a full time college student finishing off my junior year pursuing my bachelor's in Socia work. I love to read, go for walks, take pictures and spend time with my family.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR Mellie. Hopefully this post prompted you to register and introduce yourself here, I'm sure that'll make k happy that she started this thread. Stick around, there's lots of support here, and we're a pretty fun group!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
team awesome

hi! i'm ellie, 31 and an opiate addict (pills) and also a recovering speed user (12 yrs ago). i'm starting another (and hopefully last) attempt at sobriety tomorrow. and mom to a teenage girl who i adore.

i work full time, ALMOST done with my psych degree, and have a photography business on the side.

i'm addicted to tattoos, and each of mine represent an important event or person in my life.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR ellie, nice skin art! I have a wimpy little tattoo on my left bicep

If you're ever in Scottsdale please stop by and pick up a meeting list North Scottsdale Fellowship Club - Home-Home We've got some great PA meetings at the Club on Wed. & Sun., and lots of helpful, supportive members.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Ellie... I am also a recovering opiate and speed addict.

AND I am in my junior year working toward a psych degree.

I think is exciting.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
team awesome

thank you! a lot in common for sure! what are you planning to do with your psych degree? oddly enough, i want to be a drug and alcohol counselor for teens and young adults.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ideally I would want to be a therapist specializing in children and adolescent. I also want to go to law school and possibly do pro-bono child advocacy work.

This is all dependent upon my sobriety, of course. Constantly relapsing often makes it difficult to maintain grades.

And I don't think that is odd at all. I think it is fantastic. I briefly considered doing such work, but then decided to go the children route to hopefully prevent the kids from ever reaching that point in the first place.

I'm so glad you joined SR!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm Terry. Mom to a recovering drug addicted son (19) and a 15 year old daughter. I also decided to quit drinking just 'cause I didn't like being hungover 1-2x/month and ruining my weekend! I have a couple weeks sober.

I'm an executive secretary, 22 years at the same oil company, and have a beautiful golden retriever named Hero. I am learning how to make jewlery -- hammering silver and copper are my favorite past-times. I also spend a lot of time volunteering at my city's women's center, working on the domestic/sexual abuse hotline. I love to travel around Texas and spend quality time with my old friends. I almost never watch TV.

Thanks for the thread! It's nice to get to know you all! I LOVE SR!!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Welcome to SR ellie, nice skin art! I have a wimpy little tattoo on my left bicep
Greetings Ellie! I like the tats, too! hehe

I'm a biker and a metal guitarist and, believe it or not, I have absolutely no tattoos or piercings!

It's not like I made a decision not to do it or anything, but I... well... I just never got around to it Perhaps someday I will... until then I'll just enjoy other people's art!

So I guess that's something about me one might not otherwise know, or even expect.

-Goat
Old 11-16-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
team awesome

ha ha... that's cool! trust me though.. once you get one... it's over. lol. you keep getting them!!!!!! thanks for the compliment though! much appreciated.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
BKP

Hi Folks,
My name is Bryan I am a grateful recovering Drunk, 10 months without a drop and a lot to say regarding this addiction. I spend 5 mornings a week running, lifting weights or both and work as a mental health assistant in a group home. I love to talk, but AA and this site have made me a listener and this allows me to understand everyone a little bit better.

Peace
Love
recovery

Nothing else is needed.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I got blue eyes
Old 11-16-2009, 08:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My name is
<-----
and I live in
<-----

<----- I have a dog, his name is Cooper. He kept me from dying before I was returned to sanity.

I'm 37 and originally from Syracuse, NY. My parents are nice and normal and my sister's never had a drink or drug in her whole life. I had to make my illness up as I went along. And I'm a huge dork. And I'm nine months without a drink, most of them sober.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
hypercube

G'day, I'm box3. I'm 33 and live in Australia. My parents were hippies and I had a fairly unconventional childhood.

I've experienced multiple addictions starting with opiates in my teens and early twenties, and alcoholism in my early thirties. I'm fascinated by a lot of things: patterns, words, music, photography, digital art, film, systems, philosophy, technology, zombies, from the sublime to the ridiculous. I have a fairly absurd sense of humour and I can't spell.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I love tattoos. As you can see by my avi. I love Kat Von D too. She is also in recovery and an artist.
I only have a couple real small home done ones we did as teens. I plan on getting my first real tat as soon as I manage to get 1 yr clean. Spending all my money on drugs leaves none for ink.
Hopefully next year.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

i love tattooes too,i have almost all my back done,just needs coloring in now,,,got 3 butterflies done on my right arm too when i was on my trip round the states.my good friend endzoner and i got matching ones in sturgis! am planning my next trip to the tattoo studio.whata great thread K! see all the new folk that have met and astro thanks for your help for the newcomers.welcome everyone!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hello all. I'm Shari and am on day 21 without my wine (or any other alcohol). This is not my first attempt at being sober but for me I truly believe it will be my last.

I'm 46, a stay at home mom of an 8 yr old and 4 yr old. Prior to staying home with my kids I was in the IT consulting field. Once my 4 yr old is in school full time I'm thinking about going back to work (but not in IT). So, between now and then I will be doing some soul searching to figure out who or what I want to be Also, I've lived in Texas all my life.

I enjoy working out, reading, volunteering at my church and the kids schools and learning new software programs.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Rockstar

I also love tattoos and getting tattooed - am I the only one who doesn't find it painful? Ive got a kinda skull themed sleeve going on on one arm because I love skulls lol

Steve \,,/
Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
I got blue eyes
- me too!
Old 11-17-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
My name is Melissa. I am 30 years old...married for 12 years and have three boys who are my life! I don't know how I got here, except that two days ago I decided I was done with alcohol...I need help. It has taken over my life...and turned me into someone I don't recognize. I don't want to live this way anymore. I have looked into local AA meetings but am still trying to find the courage to go.

I am also a full time college student finishing off my junior year pursuing my bachelor's in Socia work. I love to read, go for walks, take pictures and spend time with my family.
thanks for reaching out, mellie! there's a lot of folks here who can relate to your situation, so keep posting!

have you found out where/when the meetings are in your area yet? that's a great start..

hugs, k