SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   what to do.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/188408-what-do.html)

eureka 11-12-2009 08:49 AM

what to do....

I want to be sober. Very badly. I think this online community looks pretty amazing, but I feel like it might not be enough.

I don't know where to turn anymore. My family has lost faith and won't help me because they think this time will just be like the others.

My friends that are sober are tired of trying with me. And to be honest I don't like being around them anyway because I feel like they are so guarded and not trusting.

The only therapist who has ever really helped me won't take me back as a client because her son and I relapsed together a couple times.

I don't know what to do, but I know that I want to do whatever it takes to get and stay sober. Help?

Tazman53 11-12-2009 08:56 AM

eureka have you thought about a long term recovery program? Face to face support?

Have you tried AA or any other recovery program?

eureka 11-12-2009 09:03 AM

I have been to a couple rehabs. I have done detox. I used to go to NA meetings, but I'm afraid to go to them where I live now.

??

Astro 11-12-2009 09:11 AM

Welcome to SR Eureka! :welcome This site is a great addition to my program of recovery, but it's not enough to keep me sober. I still need to attend AA meetings and practice the 12 Steps in my daily life.

You're willing to do whatever it takes? How about trying different meetings until you find one that agrees with you, and in the meantime stay clean and sober, no matter what?

sailorjohn 11-12-2009 09:43 AM

Welcome!!!

keithj 11-12-2009 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by eureka (Post 2430079)
I don't know what to do, but I know that I want to do whatever it takes to get and stay sober. Help?

Welcome, eureka. The line I quoted leaped out at me. It sounded exactly like something I would have said prior to recovery. And then I noticed a subtle difference. You said 'do whatever it takes'. Despite my words, my thinking was always about 'do whatever I thought I had to.'

The big change for me, the difference between being recovered and another failed experiment at sobriety, was doing what other recovered alcoholics did. I had to do it their way, not mine. I didn't want to, but that's what it took for me.

I threw myself into taking the 12 steps as described in AA's Big Book with a recovered alcoholic. I did that and I recovered, just like it promises.

CarolD 11-12-2009 03:29 PM

Welcome back.....:wave:

I use SR as a important supplement to my real life AA program.
I sure hope you will find something to help you.
:hug:

Horselover 11-12-2009 03:38 PM

Welcome to SR! Let these good people advise you. You can do it one day at a time and with a recovery program in your pocket your new life will begin. :)

Anna 11-12-2009 03:39 PM

Welcome!

There is lots of support here, so keep posting and reading.

barb dwyer 11-12-2009 04:00 PM

welcome!

Wolfchild 11-12-2009 08:04 PM

:welcome

coffeenut 11-12-2009 08:10 PM

Welcome to SR!

Dee74 11-12-2009 09:58 PM

Welcome Eureka - lots of good advice here :)

D

ANGELINA243 11-12-2009 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by eureka (Post 2430090)
I used to go to NA meetings, but I'm afraid to go to them where I live now.

First of all--Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. :wavey:
Out of curiosity--what makes you afraid? I see others have posted some good suggestions. You are not alone. We do recover. :hug:

thirtybubba 11-12-2009 11:37 PM

Welcome to SR, :wavey:

I hope you find the combination that works for you.

TB

firestorm090 11-13-2009 02:30 AM

Hi Eureka,

Welcome to SR.

Before my last go round with getting sober, I was like you, my family had tired of my attempts to get straight, my friends, (whom I drank with) were tired of hearing how I didn't want to drink anymore, and the bartenders were tired of running tabs for me, so I decided to get sober for me. My thinking was to hell with them, this is my life. That's what helping me today,and I know it just doesn't work if we try to stay sober for others, it must be a personal choice.

Sikkisirus 11-13-2009 03:11 AM

Welcome to SR :)

Lionne 11-13-2009 03:33 AM

Welcome to SR Eureka!

eureka 11-13-2009 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by ANGELINA243 (Post 2430845)
First of all--Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. :wavey:
Out of curiosity--what makes you afraid? I see others have posted some good suggestions. You are not alone. We do recover. :hug:

People have definitely posted some great suggestions... to which I am incredibly grateful.

I am afraid for many reasons. One, I have always found it hard to find an NA meeting with younger members. The people there always tend to be older and it makes me uncomfortable sometimes. The men tend to be creepers. When a younger person does start coming, in the past we have always relapsed together.

Not only that, but I am always afraid to walk in the first time. I get so nervous. I know it could certainly not hurt anything, but I just get scared. And also, I live in a college town and I don't want everyone and their dog to know that I'm a recovering drug addict.

eureka 11-13-2009 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by firestorm090 (Post 2430908)
Hi Eureka,

That's what helping me today,and I know it just doesn't work if we try to stay sober for others, it must be a personal choice.

Words of wisdom. Thank you so much. It is definitely a personal choice. I just want support.