Notices

alcohol nomed

Old 11-11-2009, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcohol demon

My relationship with this demon has been going on since May 2000. sometimes I hear in my thoughts the bottle saying Close to you, I will always stay. Close to you, though you're far away. Think its the Vera Lynn song Close to You from the 1940s. I am trying to quit because I want my brain back like it was back in the 1990s no alcohol just a cup of coffee in the morning to face the day and do things. Miss those days but I need to keep fighting this demon or else next time I wont be lucky because I been too lucky if you know what I mean. Dont drink Satans Kool aid. Remember everbody has problems thats what all of us have in common.

Last edited by Deckard97; 11-12-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I couldn't get sober until I STOPPED fighting. Fighting was a lie for me, a way for me to look like I was accomplishing something, when really I was getting nowhere. It kept me deeply involved with my addictions, so I didn't have to embrace recovery...I was too busy fighting...and struggling to recover.

I had told myself that sobriety was the struggle against addiction. It's not. Sobriety is living life, instead of struggling. The addiction was the struggle. When I stopped struggling and decided to quit fighting and live sober, that is when change began to take place for me.

Instead of fighting the substances, I just don't get involved with them anymore. I don't have to fight with them if I don't answer when they come calling. If I don't open the door for them, we never have to go into hand to hand combat.

That is MY experience, yours may differ.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, Threshold. It's like you decide to give up the path of struggle.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 11-12-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

Glad you decided to come back and introduce yourself a little. Where are you at now in your recovery?

Mark
Old 11-12-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

A lot of us have been in the same place. I'm also glad you came back and posted a bit more openly about your struggles.

Welcome.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again

There's a lot of support and help around Deckhard - SR is great but have you thought about some real life support, like AA, or some kind of inpatient or outpatient rehab? some counselling?

Trying and fighting is all very well, but for me it took acceptance that I couldn't fight anymore. I surrendered the fight against alcohol and I got help. It was the best thing I could ever do, Deckard.

D
Old 11-12-2009, 11:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome to SR... it is hard, but if we stand together... you're not alone.

TB