Notices

Starting Over

Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Over

I've just finished a detox... the easy part.

I'm 26 and been a drug user more than half my life. I won't go into what different drugs I've been addicted to and for how long because it's irrelevant afaic.

I'm just scared of having to be a normal, productive member of society. It's been that long now I feel like I don't know what kind of person i'm gonna be without drugs, as though I don't know myself because I've isolated myself for so long, I wouldn't even know how to hold a conversation because i've no interests other than drugs. My ex partner even said to me the other night that all I did for the majority of the night was talk about drugs even though i'm not using anymore. I've gotta start life again basically. It's the same story as the majority of us... I've got nothing, got nobody, except my ex partner, to turn to. The only good thing I've got going is my young daughter.

I've been going to the local addiction centre and am planning on going to one of the groups(not na/aa) this Friday.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by thatotherposter View Post
I'm just scared of having to be a normal, productive member of society. It's been that long now I feel like I don't know what kind of person i'm gonna be without drugs, as though I don't know myself because I've isolated myself for so long, I wouldn't even know how to hold a conversation because i've no interests other than drugs.

I've been going to the local addiction centre and am planning on going to one of the groups(not na/aa) this Friday.
Recovery is a process, so try to be patient and rest assured that you won't have to do it alone assuming you continue to reach out for help. And keep using those support groups, it might save your life.

Welcome to SR, glad you're here.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR TOP! I hope you will find the comfort, information, and support you are looking for here. I know I would be really lost without SR. Even though I am lucky enough to be blessed with friends and family who have also supported me, SR has been there for when I need to vent, find information, support, ideas, or just to set my head straight. We need to be around other addicts, preferrably in person, but when that cannot happen, a good substitute is virtually. And SR provides that in abundance.
I know you did not want to mention what drugs you have been on, but be sure to really check out the forums. They have support for specific drugs, for specific groups (NA/AA/etc), and friends and family of addicts. Along with the newcomers threads here. I know when I first started coming to SR, I didn't go beyond the newcomers and the chat room. What a joy it was to find the other sections here!
It may not seem to matter which drugs, but it does when it comes to dealing with things like withdrawals and treatments for certain substances we were on. My DOC (drug of choice) is crack cocaine. Withdrawals are pretty simple. Very few physical. A LOT of mental. I relate to all other addicts, but I like to seek out addicts with crack addiction and more recovery than myself, in order to answer questions I have and get information on what to expect. I can still relate to other addicts, with opiate, meth, alcohol, and other addictions, as we all can relate on some level. But, for example, I cannot relate to opiate withdrawals or alcohol related withdrawals. I can feel for those going through them and understand it must be really tough, but I cannot even begin to imagine what it is like. And that is why I really enjoy the different sections here at SR. So, after that long winded paragraph, I really recommend checking out the other sections in SR and seeking addicts with similar DOC's, mostly for the information and such. But we all will relate and be THERE FOR EACH OTHER, no matter what our DOC's are. Another of the beautiful things about SR.
Anyway, I am glad you are here. Welcome. Here's to the start of your journey to recovery and I hope it goes well. *HUGS* We're here for you!
Old 11-10-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CrackQuack View Post
Welcome to SR TOP! I hope you will find the comfort, information, and support you are looking for here. I know I would be really lost without SR. Even though I am lucky enough to be blessed with friends and family who have also supported me, SR has been there for when I need to vent, find information, support, ideas, or just to set my head straight. We need to be around other addicts, preferrably in person, but when that cannot happen, a good substitute is virtually. And SR provides that in abundance.
I know you did not want to mention what drugs you have been on, but be sure to really check out the forums. They have support for specific drugs, for specific groups (NA/AA/etc), and friends and family of addicts. Along with the newcomers threads here. I know when I first started coming to SR, I didn't go beyond the newcomers and the chat room. What a joy it was to find the other sections here!
It may not seem to matter which drugs, but it does when it comes to dealing with things like withdrawals and treatments for certain substances we were on. My DOC (drug of choice) is crack cocaine. Withdrawals are pretty simple. Very few physical. A LOT of mental. I relate to all other addicts, but I like to seek out addicts with crack addiction and more recovery than myself, in order to answer questions I have and get information on what to expect. I can still relate to other addicts, with opiate, meth, alcohol, and other addictions, as we all can relate on some level. But, for example, I cannot relate to opiate withdrawals or alcohol related withdrawals. I can feel for those going through them and understand it must be really tough, but I cannot even begin to imagine what it is like. And that is why I really enjoy the different sections here at SR. So, after that long winded paragraph, I really recommend checking out the other sections in SR and seeking addicts with similar DOC's, mostly for the information and such. But we all will relate and be THERE FOR EACH OTHER, no matter what our DOC's are. Another of the beautiful things about SR.
Anyway, I am glad you are here. Welcome. Here's to the start of your journey to recovery and I hope it goes well. *HUGS* We're here for you!
Good post, thanks.

It's not that I didn't want to mention what drugs I was using it's just that, as you say, it doesn't matter what your doc is because we're all in the same boat.

It was GHB I was using for the last 5 years btw, but I've, like you, been addicted to crack aswell as gear, benzos. I've also had a bit of a drink problem over the last year or two... I didn't start drinking until I was 21 believe it or not(when I came off the gear actually). Would be really good to meet people who have pulled through GHB addiction and managed to turn things around because I feel like it's robbed me of any kind of emotion or compassion and I just can't see a way out of it.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thatotherposter View Post
Good post, thanks.

It's not that I didn't want to mention what drugs I was using it's just that, as you say, it doesn't matter what your doc is because we're all in the same boat.

It was GHB I was using for the last 5 years btw, but I've, like you, been addicted to crack aswell as gear, benzos. I've also had a bit of a drink problem over the last year or two... I didn't start drinking until I was 21 believe it or not(when I came off the gear actually). Would be really good to meet people who have pulled through GHB addiction and managed to turn things around because I feel like it's robbed me of any kind of emotion or compassion and I just can't see a way out of it.
Absolutely, and I don't know how the heck our boat floats. It's gotta be HUGE! There are a lot of us. LOL. Just a little humor there.
I think the longer you hang around here, you'll find someone with a similar story. I've not met anyone else with a GHB addiction, but that doesn't mean anything. I've been here only about 8-9 months. I think 8, because I found SR about a month after I got clean, and I've got 9 months. LOL. I've read, the most, about different drugs, in the substance abuse forum. So try there and see if anyone pipes up. Heck, they may see it here too.
I felt similar about how my ex had treated me. He put me through a lot of hell, first with his addiction to crack, meth, and heroin, then once I got started on crack, it became even worse because I had my own problems to deal with and it was a whole mess. I thought I'd never feel anything again. Not anything good anyway. I was depressed, and EXTREMELY angry. I hated men. I still will not talk to anyone with the same name as his, nor trust them, nor will I say the name. I have a lot to work on and let go. We all do.
But there is light at the end of the tunnel. This weekend, my boyfriend told me he loves me. That meant so much more to me than all of my previous relationships combined. I never thought I'd have a normal relationship again, and he's proven good men exist. Who would have thought that a bout with drug abuse would make someone appreciate GOOD people all the more? LOL.
We're good people too, we just got messed up in the wrong things. Being here is a great place for us to relate to each other too. And I really think you'll find what you need here. :ghug3
Old 11-10-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! Hope you find what you need here. I am sure you will. SR will help you in a big way and it sounds like you have some recovery backup too. Congratulations on making a good choice.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome thatotherposter

I was well on my way to being twice your age when I cleaned up - it's not easy to start a new life - but it was imperative for me if I wanted to live.

And, hard tho it was, it wasn't impossible - the last 2 and a half years have been the best of my life.

You'll find so much help and support here - keep reaching out

We have a substance abuse forum here too, if you're interested in looking at it:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

good to have you here
D
Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero