Notices

I did it!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I did it!

I finally admitted defeat and attended my first AA meeting last night. Here is a re-cap.

OK everyone. I could make this a VERY long post, but I will keep it as short as possible without leaving too much out. The guy that took me came to my house. He came in, met my wife and daughter and dog! haha. He told my wife I made a great decision, and he would take care of me. We went to his house so I could meet his wife. Then we met up with another couple guys. One from Arizona who has been a great friend of his and he has 10 years sober. And the other guys is from a town about 90 miles away with 15 years sober. The guy that took me has 30 years sober. We went to one of the guys sisters house and just hung out for about an hour. They both met me, gave me a high five and said "always awesome to meet another drunk!" They don't hide who they are or the addiction they have. They laugh, joke, and even talk about their old drinking days and laugh about them! I just couldn't believe it! I thought it was like the plague, and you just pretend you didnt have a problem. They are the complete opposite of that.

After that, and many words of wisdom from them, it was time to go to supper. We had a nice dinner (of coarse my money was no good there.) We even sat in the bar part of the restaurant!!! It was amazing to me to sit there and drink soda!!!! We talked more, and they all gave me their number and said to call any time, night or day. They said if I ever feel like drinking, to call them. If they can't talk me out of it, I can go ahead and have a drink! I found this amazing as well. I can't begin to tell you how much wisdom they shared with me. So just 4 alkies riding around in a car.

After dinner it was time for the meeting. We were the first ones there. There was a total of about 15 people there. I knew a couple of them from business encounters in town. They came in, said welcome to me and chit chatted and gave me their numbers! I can't believe how much love was in that room for me! I received my 24 hour chip, and a copy of the Big Book. I asked who I pay, and I was again told it "has been taken care of" and the guy who took me to the meeting had written a personal note on the inside to me.

After the meeting it was time for the "post meeting" at a local diner. Most of the group goes there afterward for milkshakes. So I didn't get home until a little after 10. It was so great to see all of these people laughing, having fun, and hanging out with a common goal in mind!

So as you can imagine I received soooo much wisdom from spending 5 hours with 3 guys with a total of 55 years sobriety between them. The guy who took me called me right away this morning and as soon as I answered he said "it is a great day to be sober isn't it?" What a way to start the day!!!! Oh, and I was also invited to not really a meeting today, but a bunch of AA guys get together for lunch every Tuesday and asked me to come. Obviously I am going!

So that is where I am at right now. I have a long ways to go, but I feel a MILLION times better than I did 2 days ago. God works in amazing ways. I do have my alcohol assessment today, and we will see what happens with that. I will keep you posted. They guys also said I should go deer hunting. They said God is always with me, and they are all just a phone call away for support while I am gone.

AHHHHHHHH! Hugs to you all! I wouldn't be where I am right now without all of you! I just can't believe the love that has been given to me, all of this from a dieing Man that wants to save me before he is gone for good!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sheeeeit. Now I'm jealous. Nothing like that happened to me.
Okay, just kidding.
That is so fantastic. You know, AA people are just ordinary people who give their time and energy to helping others. I baked a cake for my sponsor the other day, and ohmygod, it was a cake failure. Thank God I didn't give it to her.
I'll bake a better one.
She takes her time and energy for me, without pay or any bonus. That is really amazing.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bdiddy5522 View Post
AHHHHHHHH! Hugs to you all! I wouldn't be where I am right now without all of you! I just can't believe the love that has been given to me, all of this from a dieing Man that wants to save me before he is gone for good!
Your post made my day. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, as I have mentioned in the August thread, this man that took me is dieing of terminal cancer, but he said he wants to help one more soul! What an angel! I don't think I could have had a more positive experience for my first meeting! I am so blessed!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think its great that you had such a good evening....what a way to start off the week!!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

-TB
Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome... Thank you for posting that. Not everyone is as blessed as you were on your first meeting, but people need to know that it, in fact, can and does happen!!!

Mark
Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am so glad it was such a positive experience for you!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

WOW!!!! Those guys really took great care of you. That's amazing, good for you.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just got back from lunch with them all again. I can't tell you what a great experience this is for me. I am leaving for vacation Wednesday after work with a bunch of guys to go deer hunting in the middle of nowhere. I asked them if it is a good idea to go, and they told me to pray a lot and bring my Bog Book, but I should certainly go. One of the guys told me to call him tonight and he is going to send me to a website to download some speakers on my I-pod to listen to while I am gone! What a great idea!

Oh, and I just got back from an addictions counselor service. She is recommending I go to Intensive Outpatient Treatment. I can't get in for a few weeks, but I guess she feels I need this in addition to AA. Like I said when I started this, I am willing to do whatever it takes, so I am taking her professional opinion and will start this when there is an opening.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bdiddy,

That is great. I sometimes visit the August thread and it is good you posted this here also. I do not attend AA for personal reasons but you sure make it sound good. My sister has been an AA member for 11 years and loves it. I'm not sure I need it right now but it is good to know its there. This is my first time trying to quit and so far have made it 15 months. The oldtimers really are good and I think it is the best way to go for those struggling. I have attended IOP because that is what work required and I don't think it will hurt you, I just think you will get so much more out of the AA and the people you have met so far. I think that is the way it was meant to be but not all are like that. Speakers on tapes sound good also. Keep us posted, we get so used to hearing bad that I think it benefits alot of people to hear the good also. Have fun camping/hunting. Guess what you'll remember everything.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So inspiring! So refreshing! Thanks for the post!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

I'm so ecstatic for you! It sounds like your on fire and fell into a great group! Keep us posted
Old 11-10-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Will do "team." We are all in this together with one goal in mind. Recovery and happiness! Whatever path we take to get there, we all will end up in the same place eventually if we try hard enough!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post. It's very inspiring.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Amazing way for the journey to begin!! Welcome!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's really great B
awesome!

D
Old 11-10-2009, 04:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow! That was inspiring! Sounds like an awesome experience..so happy for you! Have fun shootin Bambi....no seriously...hope you bag a big buck!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Thanks for sharing your experience.

WELCOME HOME

:ghug3
Old 11-10-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Should we all move to the Dakotas?? Sounds like it was fabulous! I've yet to brave a meeting, one day...