Notices

Bowling & beer tonight

Old 11-09-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Bowling & beer tonight

I have league tonight.....all of my team drinks.....I am on day 4........I decided to be proactive and shot them all an email encouraging winning tonight and dropping the line that I was not drinking because I was taking a pain med for my knee.....not exactly honest but I want this to go easy.......not that they would ever pressure me, maybe I did it for me?

The team we are bowling does not drink at all so this should all go pretty well I hope.......I feel determined.......wonder how I will bowl without "aiming oil?" LOL........
Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
I have league tonight.....all of my team drinks.....I am on day 4

The team we are bowling does not drink at all so this should all go pretty well I hope
Well, I hope so too.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I bowl every bit as bad sober VC

D
Old 11-09-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FNW
seeking acceptance

Have great fun vc!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have fun VC....

Way to be proactive in your recovery!!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
"I think I can. I think I can"

please post and tell how it goes. I will be faced with a similiar situation soon and I am not sure I can go it alone with just willpower. To many voices still inside my head. I think they are waiting for this moment. I may have to avoid it. I hope you stay sober and bowl well.

Jo
Old 11-09-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wink

X X X..good bowling..Oz
Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Is it legal to bowl without a drink, lol.

Hang tough tonight and don't worry bout the gutter balls, after a few of those, it's a real victory just to keep the ball on the lane, lol.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Ok.......bowling report.

I have the shakes.......way too much Mt. Dew and Skittles.....I did awesome....bowled 175, 165, 165......more importantly, I had FUN. I realize that all the beer was KEEPING me from fun. I was more worried about teetering a bit on the lane than throwing the ball right!

Second big thing? I don't have to wake up tomorrow wondering....."did I act drunk?"
"did anyone notice?" "what were my scores?" "did my team win any games?" "did I put my ball back in my locker?" ISN'T THAT AWFUL?????????

I have alot more money in my pocket.

Lastly, my drive home........no looking in the rearview worried about a cop pulling up behind me.....I actually smiled and talked to myself.....I was PROUD. It was the most relaxing ride home.....I just smiled and took a deep breath in.......I kept saying, "way to go Wendy, way to go." That may sound weird but if you know how captive I was....it led to some paranoia to drive.......

How in the hell did I EVER think I needed to drink to have fun?

Thanks for listening and your posts.

You can do this too Jo.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've nailed it this time VC ...Bravo!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome, VC!! So glad to hear it!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
"I think I can. I think I can"

So glad it went as planned. More importantly so glad to hear about all the positives as a result of not drinking. I have been focusing on the negative. I can completely relate to all you said and I hope when put in that situation I can do it too. You don't need to drink ot have fun!

Jo
Old 11-10-2009, 04:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You don't need to drink ot have fun!
A major discovery for me as well!!!!

Congrats on the bowling and staying sober and all of the discoveries about sobriety!

Jo I have found by focusing on the posotive I become more postive!

I have heard many say that they stop them selfs from drinking by thinking about all the bad things that have happened to them due to drinking............... very depressing!

I fought the urge to drink by keeping an attitude of gratitude, I focused on all the good things I enjoy due to being sober, that is not depressing at all!!!

In the rooms I have heard many say that if one maintains an attitude of gratitude a drink is not an option..... I agree.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Its great you had a fab time - a lot of my pubs darts team don't drink and they still have a rare old time
Old 11-10-2009, 04:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post

I fought the urge to drink by keeping an attitude of gratitude, I focused on all the good things I enjoy due to being sober, that is not depressing at all!!!

In the rooms I have heard many say that if one maintains an attitude of gratitude a drink is not an option..... I agree.
Discovering THIS was a total turn around for me in choosing sobriety over using. At first I was all pouty over what I could no longer do, then it was like DUH...it's all about what I CAN do that I had no access to when I was using. The truth is I CAN use again, that option is always open to me...but as soon as I take it, all other doors close...so why would I choose that when it costs me everything else?

so I choose freedom, I choose feeling good, I choose no hangovers, I choose tasting food, enjoying sex, self esteem, seeing myself grow as a person, etc.

it's like having the option of eating one things that will make me sick, fat and ill for a really long time, or having 7000 great things that I can eat as much as I want of and feel good after.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

The truth is I CAN use again, that option is always open to me...but as soon as I take it, all other doors close...so why would I choose that when it costs me everything else?
Well said Thresh, and everyone else too..........I wish I did not forget things like this down the road.......maybe this time I won't. It felt good waking up today and remembering every little detail about the night........nice.

Know what else? Karma......it's real......I won the football pool at bowling last night!
Sweeeeet!!!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's awesome VC. I've been to watch a few people in bowling leagues around here and I give you alot of credit for staying strong! It seems at the ones I went to see everyone was drinking (well it is WI) including me. I don't think I could go watch the leagues right now and be as strong as you!