Notices

What's for dinner???

Old 11-08-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
mergirl

I had scallops this morning, something about seafood for breakfast always makes me feel regal!

John, thats pizza on chips hahah!! We do free for all nacho night. A bag of tortilla chips, and then bowls of roast chilis, olives, ground turkey, cheese, tomatoes, onions, black beans, cilantro, salsa, avocado and sour cream. Grab what you want hot on the chips, nuke, then slap on the cold stuff
Old 11-08-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Mmm, you guys are making me hungry. I still haven't had breakfast yet.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's Sunday again and I promised myself I'd try to cook on this new grill again. I've tried to cook on it twice and created dog treats, because the food wasn't fit for human consumption. Oops, lol. I'm sticking with chicken, not brave enough to try a couple steaks for fear of burning them to a crisp, lol. Maybe I'll try steaks next week, depending on todays' outcome, lol.

Wish me luck.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

What kind of grill? A gas grill I assume? Are things burning? Are you lighting all the burners? Sometimes indirect heat is better.......I grill all year round.

I like this thread.....food & cooking.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey VC,

Yep, it's a gas grill I bought a few weeks ago, have only used it twice. It works too good, I'm going to keep the food around the perimeter today and maybe put it on the upper rack. The chicken I cooked last weekend turned into lava rocks, and ended up in the dumpster, lol.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

LOL..........does it have 3 burners to turn on? I only use two of the three on mine....I sear it and then turn it down.......mine tends to run way hot, I have a Weber. Another trick with chicken, especially if you are putting bbq sauce on is only put it on the last few minutes.....I learned that the hard way. LOL. Good luck and let us know if the dog got lucky again........
Old 11-08-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
Good luck and let us know if the dog got lucky again........
LOL,,,i fell outa my chair
Old 11-08-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Todays menu is baked pork chops...

I just put them in the roaster with garlic powder/pepper/pinch of salt... sprinkled on. A bit of sliced onions too...

Scoop a can of Cambells Mushroom Soup over the whole thing...bake for an hour..mmmmmmm .....

Goes good with sidekicks noodles and a homemade Ceaser....im hungry now....
Old 11-08-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
hypercube

Steamed veggies (sweet potato, broccoli, asparagus, bok choy, cauliflower) and tuna. Boring but healthy.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

VC, you're a crack up, lol.

I think the dogs have an idea that I'm cooking today, they keenly watch me every time I go out on the patio, they must know that's where the grill is, lol.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Ok stir-fry is on....chicken, steak, broccoli, red bell peppers, green onions, carrots, almonds, spicy thai sauce, ginger, curry, and secret seasonings..........I will put them over some thin rice noodles and be the happiest girl in Montana. Oh, with a diet Dr. Pepper.....day 3 don't ya know.

So.......Firestorm?? Dinner or char biscuits for the four-legged ones??
Old 11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Oh the sweet smell of success, Whoop dee doo, I'm stuffed and fat as a sassy old cat, lol. The chicken turned out great, if I may say so myself, lol.

I was a real trooper with the dogs, I let them watch me while I ate, lol.

Naw, just kidding, I think the dogs like the chicken better when it's not burnt, lol.

Next week, t-bones, with the recipe I got from myxomatosis here at SR. My mouths watering already, lol.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Nice FS!!!!!!!! We will start calling you Julia Child of the grill!

A recipe for t-bones? Do tell!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hopefully, with myx's permission:

Montreal steak seasoning, w/1 tea spoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar,(never tried that, sounds gross, but oh well, will give it a try, lol) 1/4 cup water, marinate 24 hrs. 5 minutes each side, pink in middle is ok.

That's it, next weekend, if all works out, I'll be able to critique this recipe and hopefully begin assembling the menu of my new restaurant, new grill and all! Opening day, all meals 50% off, after that, the sky's the limit, lol.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

YAY!

a FOOD thread -

I don't cook (or eat) on the nights I work,
because of my pain sondition -
My body does better if I eat AFTER work.
(has to do with swelling increasing the pain and stuff like that.)

anyway -

TOMORROW
I'm off.
And on mondays -
I rarely do much OTHER than cook something special for myself.

So TOMORROW -

is turkey meat loaf.

Ground turkey,
all kinds of spices
sautee'd chopped onions,
keebler club NOFAT crackers,

mushed, slapped, and pounded together
releasing all the pent up feelings of work...
till it resembles a football

wrap the whole dang thing
with bacon
pour the top with salsa or picante sauce

drop into a glass casserole dish
cover it up...
45 mins on 350 (sometimes an hour)
fifteen without the top....

oh buddy.

so incredible with applesauce on the side....!!!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet View Post
I had scallops this morning, something about seafood for breakfast always makes me feel regal!

John, thats pizza on chips hahah!! We do free for all nacho night. A bag of tortilla chips, and then bowls of roast chilis, olives, ground turkey, cheese, tomatoes, onions, black beans, cilantro, salsa, avocado and sour cream. Grab what you want hot on the chips, nuke, then slap on the cold stuff
Gypsy that sounds delicious but too much work for this old fat boy. I do get a little more elaborate on my stir fry and was intrigued by Vicious' recipe. Good eating to all. John in Oklahoma
Old 11-09-2009, 03:25 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Rockstar

This is a great, mouth watering thread lol Lamb chops for dinner
Old 11-09-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Sounds like a good way to vent thru food, Barb. lol.

Jahn, how do you make yours? I kind of just wing it. I make my stir-fry different everytime. I have to be careful of store bought mixes as I was diagnosed as a Celiac a few years back. (allergic to wheat and gluten.) That sure put a new twist on my cooking and shopping life!! But due to my love of food, I have created everything I love in a way I can eat it................with the exception of bread. The only bread for a celiac can second as a doorstop or a weapon.

This is a great thread as it shows we don't just share the addiction thing, we share the love of food!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I love this thread. Wish I had got on this weekend to see it. My mouth is watering and I'm ready to go home and start cooking!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
Sounds like a good way to vent thru food, Barb. lol.

Jahn, how do you make yours? I kind of just wing it. I make my stir-fry different everytime. I have to be careful of store bought mixes as I was diagnosed as a Celiac a few years back. (allergic to wheat and gluten.) That sure put a new twist on my cooking and shopping life!! But due to my love of food, I have created everything I love in a way I can eat it................with the exception of bread. The only bread for a celiac can second as a doorstop or a weapon.

This is a great thread as it shows we don't just share the addiction thing, we share the love of food!!!!!!!
Vicious, I start with 3lbs of top round steak and while it is frozen I cut it up into approx 3/8 X 3/8" pieces. I julienne all of the colors of bell pepper that I can find at the local stores, farmers markets and my own garden. I use carrots, green onion, celery, squash (yellow and green) and tomatoes (at the very last few minutes). Meat first to brown in a little olive oil and then add all ingredients except tomato. Serve with brown rice and soy sauce. yum.
Also those hard european type breads are my favorite. I slice them up and freeze them and take out as much as I want for a meal. I often toast the bread in the broiler part of the oven. Mmmmm chewy. Thanks for asking.
John in Oklahoma